Football v Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good job the Germans and Brazilians don't play Rugby eh. Middle class fat lads that can't play football, that's rugby for ya.

I wouldn't call Jonny Wilkinson a middle class fat lad, true there are some large lads playing, but the flankers and those that play the in the back field are fit as fuck.

Aye you bloody London southern softie. ;)
East Durham born and bred mate. Only lived here for a couple of years. Got a great rugby club down the end of the road where i play and drink. Great set of lads and lasses.

Think you're doing him a disservice there like. To assess the situation, think of how he can manipulate the ball with his foot to progress, to have the control to pull that off, and to do it at pace, under pressure? Remarkable.

Like the first time I saw Ronaldinho's flipflap I had to rewind the video a couple oftimes before I could understand what he'd done. When Robert did a backheel overhead kick I honestly still can't explain it very well.
most backs can do that kind of stuff. it's cross transferrable. can you remember the adidas advert with becks and wilkinson in? where beckham is taking free kicks and wilko kicking at goal. they both, in a short space of time, were completing each others task with ease.
The ronaldinho was something else, but the majority of neymars stuff is showboating, and taking the piss. ronaldinho never did that, he just beat the man with skill and on he went.

Last edited:
See my previous post about Hartlepool, Tynedale and Winlaton and say they are posh...you better be a fast runner....but you do have a point about the class thing...you should see the Range Rovers and picnic baskets at Twickenham. Although like football professional football...professional rugby is changing fast....for instance I do not think their are any posh boys in the present England squad...the manager and captain are aussi and NZ respectively (he has discipline problems like hitting people and never know to take a step back)
Harlaquins are know as The Posh club...the Falcons stuffed them shortly before Christmas.

The NE is unusual in that we never really took to Rugby League but always had a strong tradition of Union. I guess was lucky in my Secondary modern 1960s school in that we had a Welsh teacher that got loads of lads playing Rugby...it gave the really big and slightly tubby lads a game to play cos they tackled like tanks and were hard to bring down

You've hit another nail on the head with a major issue with Rugby U over in the UK, nearly all (or maybe all my knowledge isn't good) of the national teams include southern hemisphere players not good enough to play for their countries. This is an issue with football and cricket as well but the overseas players don't all seem to come from the same part of the world in these sports.

most backs can do that kind of stuff. it's cross transferrable. can you remember the adidas advert with becks and wilkinson in? where beckham is taking free kicks and wilko kicking at goal. they both, in a short space of time, were completing each others task with ease.
The ronaldinho was something else, but the majority of neymars stuff is showboating, and taking the piss. ronaldinho never did that, he just beat the man with skill and on he went.

On an advert using two world class players to promote their footwear? Who'd have guessed :lol:

re: Neymar showboating, it doesn't matter that it's unnecessary, what matters is that he does it, in a competitive situation. The Harlem Globe Trotters tried half of their nonsense against Jordan's Bulls and they'd be destroyed. Neymar does that stuff in the Champions League to win the game.

There's just nowt offered by Rugby that I don't get from football, and football offers much more on top.

Plus football fans aren't anywhere near as sanctimonious ;)

On an advert using two world class players to promote their footwear? Who'd have guessed :lol:

re: Neymar showboating, it doesn't matter that it's unnecessary, what matters is that he does it, in a competitive situation. The Harlem Globe Trotters tried half of their nonsense against Jordan's Bulls and they'd be destroyed. Neymar does that stuff in the Champions League to win the game.

There's just nowt offered by Rugby that I don't get from football, and football offers much more on top.

Plus football fans aren't anywhere near as sanctimonious ;)
Newcastle United.

Rugby is constantly compared to football and this cliché of "football is full of fannies rolling around" gets trotted out by angry fat lads from Humberside and by red-chino wearing, chinless wonders as they bellow half the words to Swing Low Sweet Chariot before losing interest and talking to Rupert about where they're going skiing next week.

Despite Fat John or Humphrey's assertions, the overwhelming majority of footballers don't roll around and feign injury, the majority aren't paid hundreds of thousands a week and so on. Football remains a team game (that's how Leicester won the league and how Chelsea are winning the league this year) with opportunities for moments of individual brilliance that simply isn't the case in Rugby. Rugby players are beginning to feign injury, to cheat and to barrack the referee as well.

Rugby is f***ing boring on the whole, which is why it appeals to certain parts of society. They don't need to understand complex situations; if that big lad gets closer to that line it's good, if the other big lads stop him that's bad. They don't need to concentrate on the game because the scoring situation is normally signposted for a while before it concludes.

I've never seen something on a Rugby field that had me wonder "How the fuck did he do that?!", it's just big lads slamming into big lads and then one big lad breaks a tackle and sprints (at an impressive pace for a big lad) for the try-line.

It's still better than Basketball or American Football, mind.

Is this bait?

I wouldn't call Jonny Wilkinson a middle class fat lad, true there are some large lads playing, but the flankers and those that play the in the back field are fit as fuck.
He's a boring fucka.

hilarious some of the responses on here. at least do some research before trying to discredit something.

2003 Winners. 2007 Finalists. 2011 QF. 2015 group stage. Also the most 6 nations wins, most grand slams and calcutta cups. the English RU international side is one of the worlds best. England's 1st XI haven't even won a Euro's before :lol:

this is correct. a rugby player plays for their club so they get picked for their country. most international teams demand their players play in their own league to be eligible for selection. complete opposite in soccer.

Germany are on par to qualify for their first world cup. Brasil have had a team for over 60 years. Not sure Kenya counts as middle class or indeed 'fat'.

obviously in the closet are we? not like the lad that decided to kiss Ji after scoring the winner against city. or when gary neville kissed scholes?
Well woopydoo marra, I guess you like watching fat lads egg chasing. I'd rather not if you don't mind.;)

Last edited:
He's a boring fucka.

Well woopydoo marra, I guess you like watching fat lads egg chasing. I'd rather not if you don't mind.;)

He may be boring, but he was a top athlete, that won the world cup for England. I'll take that kinda boring any day over the multiple failures of English footballing equivalents. As long as they had a good time though eh?

He may be boring, but he was a top athlete, that won the world cup for England. I'll take that kinda boring any day over the multiple failures of English footballing equivalents. As long as they had a good time though eh?
I watched the game where we won the world cup. I could have scored the drop goal Wilko scored and the media went f***ing crazy. It's a shit game marra but hey it's all about opinions.

I don't really care about the Rugby versus Football debate. There's probably arguments to be made for both for what happens on the pitch.

However, until I see celebrations like Bardsley's goal at Old Trafford or Johnson's at SJP in Rugby, Football will be the sport for me. There might not be passion from the players anymore, but there certainly is in the stands.

I watched the game where we won the world cup. I could have scored the drop goal Wilko scored and the media went f***ing crazy. It's a shit game marra but hey it's all about opinions.

indeed it is. Question. Are you able to watch Ladies football?

indeed it is. Question. Are you able to watch Ladies football?
I'd rather watch any sort of football including ladies trying to play football ;) than what amounts to not much more than sprinting, barging and clogging.

On your wrong foot? Aye ok
Dear me wrong foot, have a look at Defoe man right or left bang. As far as I remember Rugby don't have goalkeepers to stop those easy drop goals. It's a crap game marra that's why it's a minority sport in this country, played and watched mainly by hurray Henry's and fat lads. :)

Last edited:
Rugby has more than a whiff of elitism and snobbery about it, even between the codes where RU is a little bit sniffy of RL. I know you shouldn't generalise but there's just something about rugby that I can't quite put into words.....so I'll just make a hackneyed effort and call them posh, braying twerps!:p

I'd rather watch any sort of football including ladies trying to play football ;) than what amounts to not much more than sprinting, barging and clogging.

Dear me wrong foot, have a look at Defoe man right or left bang. As far as I remember Rugby don't have goalkeepers to stop those easy drop goals. It's a crap game marra that's why it's a minority sport in this country, played and watched mainly by hurray Henry's and fat lads. :)

Fair enough. For the life of me I can't watch ladies football, or even most of the MLS stuff served up over here. It just doesn't click for me.

I hate rugby. I've lost a lot of interest in football. It is actually a pretty boring game, imo, usually at least. I get bored watching a non SAFC game in about 10 minutes. I only really watch us and that's not enjoyable, it's only because I have an emotional stake in the games

I see Hank's TV thread each day and think "not interested." Canny thread though but @hank williams.

Only rugby match I have ever watched in full, that final.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back