Football v Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cant bear watching England football on the other hand I love watching the egg chasers. Rugby is everything that Football is not. No diving, no cheating, no trying to con the referee at every opportunity, no swearing at the referee. Footballers lost touch with reality about 10 years ago, how the fuck can you pay some dimwit £100,000 grand a week for playing football, the world has gone mad.

I think most front row forwards might not agree with that (so long as they were off the record). The don't scrummaging the dark art for nothing.

Rugby is constantly compared to football and this cliché of "football is full of fannies rolling around" gets trotted out by angry fat lads from Humberside and by red-chino wearing, chinless wonders as they bellow half the words to Swing Low Sweet Chariot before losing interest and talking to Rupert about where they're going skiing next week.

Despite Fat John or Humphrey's assertions, the overwhelming majority of footballers don't roll around and feign injury, the majority aren't paid hundreds of thousands a week and so on. Football remains a team game (that's how Leicester won the league and how Chelsea are winning the league this year) with opportunities for moments of individual brilliance that simply isn't the case in Rugby. Rugby players are beginning to feign injury, to cheat and to barrack the referee as well.

Rugby is f***ing boring on the whole, which is why it appeals to certain parts of society. They don't need to understand complex situations; if that big lad gets closer to that line it's good, if the other big lads stop him that's bad. They don't need to concentrate on the game because the scoring situation is normally signposted for a while before it concludes.

I've never seen something on a Rugby field that had me wonder "How the fuck did he do that?!", it's just big lads slamming into big lads and then one big lad breaks a tackle and sprints (at an impressive pace for a big lad) for the try-line.

It's still better than Basketball or American Football, mind.

Rugby is constantly compared to football and this cliché of "football is full of fannies rolling around" gets trotted out by angry fat lads from Humberside and by red-chino wearing, chinless wonders as they bellow half the words to Swing Low Sweet Chariot before losing interest and talking to Rupert about where they're going skiing next week.

Despite Fat John or Humphrey's assertions, the overwhelming majority of footballers don't roll around and feign injury, the majority aren't paid hundreds of thousands a week and so on. Football remains a team game (that's how Leicester won the league and how Chelsea are winning the league this year) with opportunities for moments of individual brilliance that simply isn't the case in Rugby. Rugby players are beginning to feign injury, to cheat and to barrack the referee as well.

Rugby is f***ing boring on the whole, which is why it appeals to certain parts of society. They don't need to understand complex situations; if that big lad gets closer to that line it's good, if the other big lads stop him that's bad. They don't need to concentrate on the game because the scoring situation is normally signposted for a while before it concludes.

I've never seen something on a Rugby field that had me wonder "How the fuck did he do that?!", it's just big lads slamming into big lads and then one big lad breaks a tackle and sprints (at an impressive pace for a big lad) for the try-line.

that's one of the most stupid things i've even seen on this board. you could easily say that the likes of pulis just hoof the ball forward with a big lad trying to get his bonce on it.

Footballers don't go on the pitch with blood capsules. Or wink to the camera after they used it.

Rugby is similar to football in that the international side can't get out of the group phase or lose embarrassingly at World Cups.
Exactly this, the blood capsules is a much bigger cheating issue than nearly anything to hit football. Far worse than diving/feigning injury as it was pre meditated cheating at the highest level at the club. I'm sure things like this go on in football but without the holier than though attitude of rugby.

Lots of cheating goes on in all rugby matches as well, just generally ignored as part of the game - scrums, line outs, holding on the floor.

that's one of the most stupid things i've even seen on this board. you could easily say that the likes of pulis just hoof the ball forward with a big lad trying to get his bonce on it.

It's not like, no where close. But you like rugby so I understand why you'd think that.

By the way, Pulis's much derided, agricultural style of football is often called rugby, why do you reckon that is? It's because it's boring, it's about getting possession in dangerous areas as quickly as possible, and it's about physicality... hence rugby.

Exactly this, the blood capsules is a much bigger cheating issue than nearly anything to hit football. Far worse than diving/feigning injury as it was pre meditated cheating at the highest level at the club. I'm sure things like this go on in football but without the holier than though attitude of rugby.

Lots of cheating goes on in all rugby matches as well, just generally ignored as part of the game - scrums, line outs, holding on the floor.
Aye, but that's gentlemanly cheating, it's acting the **** in a gentlemanly fashion. :lol:

Last edited:
It's not like, no where close. But you like rugby so I understand why you'd think that.

By the way, Pulis's much derided, agricultural style of football is called rugby, why do you reckon that is? It's because it's boring, it's about getting possession in dangerous areas as quickly as possible, and it's about physicality... hence rugby.

Aye, but that's gentlemanly cheating, it's acting the **** in a gentlemanly fashion. :lol:
Pulis is a consistent premiership manager who has a successful way of playing. There are plenty of exciting, complex situations in both codes of rugby, just like football. Even basketball (which i personally despise) has complex situations in.

Stop with the football good everything else bad mentality.

Pulis is a consistent premiership manager who has a successful way of playing. There are plenty of exciting, complex situations in both codes of rugby, just like football. Even basketball (which i personally despise) has complex situations in.

Stop with the football good everything else bad mentality.
And he's consistently criticised for having his teams play boring football.

I didn't say everything else was bad, Ice Hockey can be good, baseball, cricket, curling... and to be honest rugby can be entertaining at times, but on the whole it's boring as fuck.

It's slow, slow, quick quick, slow. I don't know loads about it, but I know there are two codes; one of them allows a number of tackles before they punt it forward and give the other team a turn, the other one doesn't have that. I know both of them elicit squeals of excitement from posh blonde girls (often drowning in their boyfriends rugby shirt) whenever one of the big lads breaks into a sprint. The same girls who would never actually go to a club game.

Rugby is great because you can drink beer in your seat without some arsehole steward telling you not to. It's great because you can talk to your mate as it plays out in the back ground without you missing anything. It's great because it only pops into existence every so often, like the Olympics or Ski-Sunday.

The game itself is f***ing pish.

I enjoy both football (although being a Sunderland season ticket holder...I may not be quite right in the head) and Rugby...up here in the NE it is very much a working class game..see Hartlepool or Winlaton or Tynedale.

The last Falcons game I saw a month or so ago they ran in 6 tries...sometimes it was the very big lads bashing their way through to the line at others it was the not so big but very fast backs racing to the line.

And he's consistently criticised for having his teams play boring football.

I didn't say everything else was bad, Ice Hockey can be good, baseball, cricket, curling... and to be honest rugby can be entertaining at times, but on the whole it's boring as fuck.

It's slow, slow, quick quick, slow. I don't know loads about it, but I know there are two codes; one of them allows a number of tackles before they punt it forward and give the other team a turn, the other one doesn't have that. I know both of them elicit squeals of excitement from posh blonde girls (often drowning in their boyfriends rugby shirt) whenever one of the big lads breaks into a sprint. The same girls who would never actually go to a club game.

Rugby is great because you can drink beer in your seat without some arsehole steward telling you not to. It's great because you can talk to your mate as it plays out in the back ground without you missing anything. It's great because it only pops into existence every so often, like the Olympics or Ski-Sunday.

The game itself is f***ing pish.
this side of the equator yes (for union). southern hemisphere is completely different. rugby league is rarely slow on both sides. i can stand at the SoL and have a conversation with my pals without missing anything (bar a throw in etc). everything aside from the drinking in your seat is applicable for all sports. (can also stand at most rugby games without getting telt to sit down:lol:). football gets it's fair share of fair weather fans during international tournaments also.

btw, i have never seen posh blonde girls at Horden, Houghton, Hartlepool (all 3 teams), Aycliffe, Guisborough, Westoe, Acklam. I have, however, seen posh blonde girls at Chelsea, Arsenal, Man Utd, Sunlun and Newcastle.

this side of the equator yes (for union). southern hemisphere is completely different. rugby league is rarely slow on both sides. i can stand at the SoL and have a conversation with my pals without missing anything (bar a throw in etc). everything aside from the drinking in your seat is applicable for all sports. (can also stand at most rugby games without getting telt to sit down:lol:). football gets it's fair share of fair weather fans during international tournaments also.

btw, i have never seen posh blonde girls at Horden, Houghton, Hartlepool (all 3 teams), Aycliffe, Guisborough, Westoe, Acklam. I have, however, seen posh blonde girls at Chelsea, Arsenal, Man Utd, Sunlun and Newcastle.

International football is generally a pile of wank as well. Other than bone jarring impacts, lightning pace or sudden changes of direction, I don't see anything in rugby that is "holy shit" impressive. And I can get all of those things in football. Plus, even in the worst level of football, you can see a fat mess hit a sweet volley into the top corner that has you out your seat saying "Holy Shit".

Rugby sevens is all right though.

Absolutely nailed it.

International football is generally a pile of wank as well. Other than bone jarring impacts, lightning pace or sudden changes of direction, I don't see anything in rugby that is "holy shit" impressive. And I can get all of those things in football. Plus, even in the worst level of football, you can see a fat mess hit a sweet volley into the top corner that has you out your seat saying "Holy Shit".

Rugby sevens is all right though.
thats pretty good. thats a veteran team btw, arguably the worst level of RU:lol: now i know that won't make you go holy shit, but i, and may others did. that's a 'fat mess' pulling something out of the bag.

Dinnar why people throw the 'Posh Sport' label at Rugby. All major sports in this country descend from the middle classes. Only Rugby League is truly working class.

Cant bear watching England football on the other hand I love watching the egg chasers. Rugby is everything that Football is not. No diving, no cheating, no trying to con the referee at every opportunity, no swearing at the referee. Footballers lost touch with reality about 10 years ago, how the fuck can you pay some dimwit £100,000 grand a week for playing football, the world has gone mad.
No cheating? ? Do you want to go away and think about that one again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back