Football Manager 2021

I can't get into it this year. I find the interface, particularly on march day, horrendous to play with. Not a fan of a lot of their superficial changes

Started a save with Roma last night for my first proper save on the new version and its going to be fun trying to topple Juventus, we are predicted to finish 6th but Id be disappointed to finish that low. Only signed a couple of youngsters, Arezo and Ugarte. Its an aging squad so Im trying to get rid of anyone 30 ish, Smalling, Pedro etc

Just installing the full version now. Have enjoyed the beta, was a tad easy if I’m honest. The 4-1-2-2–1 just seemed like a bug, just hammered teams. Going to start a journeyman. Got all of my graft done for the day so will keep half an eye on emails, but really I’ll be doing proper work, like organising my scouts and perfecting the training programme.
Sorry if SEB but is iPad/iPhone version worth getting?
I used the iPad version during lockdown when my laptop broke and couldn’t get a new one. Found it a bit disappointing if I’m honest, but better than nowt if you can’t get the full version. If you have never played fm 21 on the pc then I reckon it would be absolutely fine as you wouldn’t be comparing the two

Last edited:
I see the scouting recommendation numbers are back to normal, makes it much easier deciding who to sign or scout further.
I haven't noticed anything else though, has anyone on here?

My tactics seem to be working still thankfully, i've had a decent start in the Prem.

Eve (A) - D 3-3
Che (H) - D 1-1
New (A) - W 2-4 :)
Ful (H) - L 1-2
Lee (H) W 1-0

Still not really feeling the love for this game, though I'm persisting.

The gestures are boring already. Put your arm around everyone in a one to one meeting and get a good reaction. Point finger in team talk or pump fists every time.

The little stupid things that they don't fix are frustrating. In Sweden the league runs March to November, so I signed 7 players for the new season in December and January. In February I can make 3 additions to my Europa League squad and the 4 left out all kick off at me. My big money signing who I left out told me he wants to leave before he's even kicked a ball for the club. Absolutely stupid.

Lost the cup this year, going out on penalties in the semi final. Did okay in the Europa League, knocking out Wolfsburg before losing 1-0 on aggregate to Arsenal.

The Premier League still seems overpowered as usual. Liverpool beat Chelsea in last year's Champions League final and 4 English teams are in the QF again. They're picking off the best players from around the world for £70-£120m a go too.

The gestures are boring already. Put your arm around everyone in a one to one meeting and get a good reaction. Point finger in team talk or pump fists every time.

The little stupid things that they don't fix are frustrating. In Sweden the league runs March to November, so I signed 7 players for the new season in December and January. In February I can make 3 additions to my Europa League squad and the 4 left out all kick off at me. My big money signing who I left out told me he wants to leave before he's even kicked a ball for the club. Absolutely stupid.

Lost the cup this year, going out on penalties in the semi final. Did okay in the Europa League, knocking out Wolfsburg before losing 1-0 on aggregate to Arsenal.

The Premier League still seems overpowered as usual. Liverpool beat Chelsea in last year's Champions League final and 4 English teams are in the QF again. They're picking off the best players from around the world for £70-£120m a go too.

Surely as the years go on with the whole restriction on work permits it'll make other leagues more powerful? As long as the leagues are loaded?

My scouts are finding gems from all around Europe but none are eligible for work permits. Fuck Brexit man.
Logon or register to see this image

Champions League group :eek:

I've had to drop your tactic since the update however it was flying prior to that.

Out of interest what do you all do with tactics? Change game to game? Change during the game? Stick with the same formation. All 3 of mine are hugely attacking focussed so I'm always tweaking it throughout the game in the last 10 to see out a win but not sure if I should just have the same tactic 3 times but with variations in order to adapt to the situation in game?

Currently in my second season mid way through and finally after 3 attempted takeovers one has finally gone through. Swedish Tycoon who has invested 40m into the club. Doesn't seem to have impacted my transfer budget mind however hoping that changes when we get to the transfer window. Currently sitting just outside championship playoffs. Thought the Tycoon might want to progress quickly through the leagues judging by his reports in the media however when renewing my contract his 5 year plan was just establishing myself in championship and building the best youth academy in the league. So pressure is off a little.

Oh and on the high earners front managed to get rid of Graham and Wyke eventually. Grigg was still not going anywhere so I just mutually terminated his contract in the summer.

Last edited:
Surely as the years go on with the whole restriction on work permits it'll make other leagues more powerful? As long as the leagues are loaded?

My scouts are finding gems from all around Europe but none are eligible for work permits. Fuck Brexit man.

The AI doesn't find gems like a human player does though, they just spend hundreds of millions on established stars who can get work permits like Haaland, Sancho, Fati, Mbappe, SMS and Dybala, all of which are in the Prem after 2 and a half seasons on my save.

My third season with Sunderland ended with defeat to Sheff Utd in the playoffs. Won the first leg 2-1 but got battered 4-0 in the second. Got give a budget of 1m so decided that was me done with Sunderland so applied for the Southampton job in the Prem and got it. Got about 36m to spend, squad looks decent but all the players are 28+ Year old.

What other new things are there? Anything particularly good? I've been enjoying an FM20 save recently. Was tempted to move to the new one but the main things they seemed to be pushing were the fact that you could do gestures (which I figured would be very similar to choosing "calm", "aggressive" etc) and the fact it would tell you your xG figure (which might be okay but it's hardly a game changer). Normally end up getting FM each year but thinking I might just put the money towards a new console this time!

What other new things are there? Anything particularly good? I've been enjoying an FM20 save recently. Was tempted to move to the new one but the main things they seemed to be pushing were the fact that you could do gestures (which I figured would be very similar to choosing "calm", "aggressive" etc) and the fact it would tell you your xG figure (which might be okay but it's hardly a game changer). Normally end up getting FM each year but thinking I might just put the money towards a new console this time!

Most of the advertised changes are insignificant to me. The gestures, new scouting meetings, recruitment analysts and XG are not game changers at all, though I do like that the in game stuff leans more towards match stats.

The real thing to make a difference is the match engine. The play through the middle has been improved dramatically and Attacking midfielders and strikers are much improved as a result. I think there's more variety to the play as well. In theory this makes it possible to have success with a lot more variation in tactics (though I've not done this yet).

It's the only game I still play so I'll always buy the new one regardless. I can't deny that it's better and more realistic than ever. Every time they make it a bit more realistic though, it takes a bit of the fun away. Spending time in press conferences and sorting out training sessions is not what I want to do - I send the assistant but I'd rather they spent their efforts making the game more enjoyable in a different way.

xG isn't too different to "Clear Cut Chances" which is in FM20?
Agree about changing "agressive" to "point finger". Its all a bit silly really

Back