Football Manager 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got myself a new laptop purely for this. Didn’t play FM19 so took a bit time to get used to it again.

Started with the lads. Playing a 4-2-3-1 tiki taka.

McLaughlin
McLaughlin Willis Smith John
Dobson Mumba
Gooch Maguire McGeady
Parrott

Signed Parrott, Angel Gomes and a kid from Dundee United called Chris Mochrie who’s only 16 and looks promising.

12 games in, won 10 drawn 1 lost 1.

How bad is the defending on it at times? Scoring goals where the opposition defenders literally let the ball bounce over their head and my forward has a free run at goal.

Won league 1, renewed Troy Parrotts loan for championship season, going to have a task of revamping squad though, letting plenty go who's contracts are up, going to clean out my staff aswell as I didnt bother in 1st season, still got alot of deadwood too

Tough first season with Sampdoria but I've survived.

After the winter window update, Samp have 7 players with permanent moves planned this summer and 6 who had just signed, so offloading players was going to be tricky. So I decided to mostly keep the squad and build slowly. I decided that 1 winger was all I needed. My top target was Jeremie Boga from Sassuolo who finished the season with the most assists (17) and 6 goals as well. Unfortunately, his wage demands were too high and he stayed at Sassuolo. So I signed my 2nd target within budget - Oussama Idrissi (£8.5m over 3 years). He finished the season with 8 goals and 3 assists, so a little underwhelming.

My team finished 12th, achieving the midtable expectation but little more. I lost both derbies with Genoa and was generally shit. Quagliarella who turned 37 during the season struggled at the start, but finished with 12 goals. He'll probably be my main striker next season as well.

As for player sales, in February various Chinese teams bid for 4 different players. I couldn't afford to let most of them go without being able to buy replacements, but my left back Dodo moved on for £20m (£10m up front).

The chairwoman is looking to sell the club and I was embargoed for a period of times in both transfer windows. There's been 3 offers that have fallen through from a local businessman to a Tycoon who wanted to sack me for Gasperini, so next year could be interesting.

One of the club philosophies is to buy talent from lower leagues. With that in mind, my main target (who I will sell half my squad for) is Sandro Tonali. Brescia were relegated and if I can sign him, I'll build my team around him for years.

Well my summer tranfer window changed quite a lot. I made an attempt to sign Tonali, but he went and signed for the Zebra's instead. My plans were thrown into complete disarray with 3 big issues:

1) Quagliarella sprung it on me that he was retiring. I couldn't persuade him to change his mind. So signing a striker became my top priority.
2) My Polish right back (can't spell his name) was in the last year of him contract and refused to sign a new one. He kept kicking off every time some other club made a bid for him and upset my squad morale. So he was sold.
3) Norwich came in with a bid worth £22m for one of my best midfielders (Jankto) and the bid was accepted by the board.

Throw in the fact that my Tycoon takeover fell through at the last minute and it was a summer of wheeling and deadling.

I came close to signing Balotelli to be my new striker but his work rate is a no go for me so I ended up bringing in Andrea Petagna from Napoli for £10m. He's a Target Man with good teamwork and work rate so I thought I'd try something new. He's also 25 so still has sell on value.

I was about to seal the deal for Jeremie Boga at the 2nd time of asking, when my right back situation came up so I had to cancel the deal. I'm pretty happy thought that I brought Davide Zappacosta to the club for £8.5m. He was up for sale at Chelsea and brings in big experience.

After spending most of the Jankto funds on necessary replacements, I've had to back fill the midfield much more pragmatically. Fede San Emeterio comes in from Valladolid for £5.5m.

This save is an interesting challenge. In the Premier League, there is too much money to make it difficult and in the poorer leagues (that I usually play in), there's not as much domestic competition which means I can heavily invest in youth. Sampdoria is tricky. Half of the league is better than me. I have limited resources. Players I sign have to be able to play now. In most cases, I'm signing players I've never heard of before. But the target for the club is midtable again so I have time on my side. A top 10 finish and beating Genoa are my goals.

I was considering getting FM 2020 for the laptop.

I still play Champ Man 01/02 with the updated players in it which is great. I love how easy it is to navigate & play a season within a few hours.

Is FM 2020 worth getting for someone like me if I don't want to faff on with too many tactics, press conferences etc..

Decent for me, of the players already at the club it was Smith and Semenyo that were my better performers
Dobson is very good. I sold him to Preston for 18 million after they were promoted to the Prem.

I had three years at Sunderland, back to back promotions and then followed it up with Premiership safety.

Budget was shite and Monaco offered me the job. Won the league with Monaco overturning PSG in my first season, second in my second season but had a good crack at the CL (lost in the semis) and won the French cup.

Spurs offered me the job and i took it, back to English football and currently 3rd after 13 games. 4 points off top with a game in hand, got a canny side now.

how long does it take you all (on average) to complete a season?
Depends where you’re managing and how many leagues you have loaded to be honest. The English football league is a proper slog with potentially upwards of 60 games a season. Usually takes a good week or so if I’m playing most days to get a season completed.

I still play Champ Man 01/02 with the updated players in it which is great. I love how easy it is to navigate & play a season within a few hours.

Is FM 2020 worth getting for someone like me if I don't want to faff on with too many tactics, press conferences etc..

Simple answer is no. It's far too in depth now for most people. It's the only game I buy anymore and as the new features have increased, I've learned how to delegate them so I have a game that allows me to play the parts I want.

I suspect you'd lose the enjoyment of 01-02 and the detail would be overload.

Finished 3 points off Liverpool in third, who have sealed their fifth league title in a row.

Notable bottle jobs include defeats at Leeds and Wolves in April as the lads fumbled.

23/24 season finishes and the chairman has gave me a war chest of £10 million to conquer Europe in the era of me selling Jason Cummings for £18 million (!) amidst TV riches. :rolleyes::cool:

You can get FM Touch which is the main game with a lot of features stripped out. I reckon it would suit someone more used to the older games.

You can get FM Touch which is the main game with a lot of features stripped out. I reckon it would suit someone more used to the older games.
I got FM Touch for the Switch the other day, had it last year as well and I really like it. I've got Gamepass so I'll download the full version as well, but my laptop is shite so it doesn't run great on it.

Nah. It takes me a week or more to do a season mate. There is football manager touch which is a slimmed down version but I don't think it's any better than. Champ Man 01/02

Just signed a 35 year old Hulk on a free transfer half way through the season. He’s due to retire in December so figured I’d get some decent mileage out of him. First game he’s injured with a broken ankle after 20 minutes and won’t play again before he retires. Highest paid player in the squad anarl :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back