Foden

England definitely need to freshen it up a bit .
They're probably through already so why not

Against Czech I'd play Saka & Grealish

Give Kane a complete rest & play CL

Put Bellingham in for Rice

Play Trippier in his best position at RB and Chilwell at LB

Bring Maguire & Henderson on at half time if it's going to plan

He's obviously a decent player but the almost hysterical praise for anything he does is way over the top. I've seen the last 4 England games and his contribution has been pretty minimal. Admittedly I haven't seen that much Man City last year. Am I missing something?
He was out most dangerous player last night, and probably shouldn't have been the one substituted.

If anyone watched him for City they’d see he’s an outstanding talent, he just hasn’t been at his best for England yet.

He shouldn’t have been subbed last night, certainly not before Sterling anyway.

Usual Sterling - get the ball just inside opposition half, take off and then deaccelerate in inside 3 metres, turn 180 degrees and pass it back to the fullback.

Usual Sterling - get the ball just inside opposition half, take off and then deaccelerate in inside 3 metres, turn 180 degrees and pass it back to the fullback.
Sterling's movement is superb, but in possession he's been poor. Part of the issue is he doesn't get much grass to run into at international level.

His touch is unreal. There were two occasions last night where he brought a long ball down and ran with it, we were all basically applauding :lol:
I think that illustrates my point - he will control a ball and commentators and fans literally gush over very little. I accept he's a really good player and accept that I have not seen his best at Man City. However, I have watched his last 4 games for England and despite the utter hyperbole dished out by the commentators he has actually done very little - its almost as if he's been outstanding for Man City so that anything he does gets exaggerated praise. In the recent past for England Mount looks a better player. That said I do agree he's young and could become the best player of his generation. At the moment I am expecting a little more given the over the top praise he will get for control the odd long ball.

He’s clearly a very talented player, but I agree he’s not done enough to deserve the amount of adulation he receives. I don’t think he should be considered undroppable either when we have Grealish waiting in the wings who is probably the more all round package at this moment in time.

It’s no coincidence he’s a class act for City and average for England
His game is all about pass and move the ball quickly, England don’t do this.
City get players close together, England don’t.
Foden plays off the left, he’s on the right for England with a striker who is all over the place and can’t link up with anyone near him.

He's incredible for his age but his age will invariably mean he will have inconsistency (although we haven't seen much of it at City).

Is there any player that looks better for Southgate than they do their club managers?

Back