FM 2014 Beta thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't think any would be available yet. As far as I'm aware they can be added using the editor but I'd imagine that would be a pain in the arse.

What leagues did everyone load at the start? Or whats the best database options?
Every league in the game selected but only have England, Scotland, Spain, Italy playable the rest are view only

There's not much difference between this and last years but for some reason this years just seems a bit more fun to play, i'm addicted already! 20 games in and sitting 2nd with Boreham Wood.

I'm really struggling away to the top teams, as expected of course but I'm having a nightmare against them considering im in 6th place and just entered Jan 2014. Got beat off Man utd away 7-2 then Chelsea away 4-0 the game after over the christmas peroid. I'm surprised at how well I'm doing tbh, the defense is absolutely woeful. I have a negative goal difference and in 6th place that just tells the story. Need to sort out a tactic for the tough away games because I just get turned over all the time. I've been beat by 3 or more goals in at least 4 away games so far this season and that isn't good enough.

Now that I have entered January 2014, I think its going to be a really tough transfer window and the second half of the season is going to be tough. I'm not expecting to finish in the top 10 even that I'm in 6th at the minute. I am going to try and sort the finances out a little in this transfer window because with me being in a great position in the league in 6th place its not like i'm risking my job or risking being relegated so would rather do that. If I don't I will end up not complying with those fair play regulations anyway.

Anyone who is wanting to start a game with Sunderland, I'm sure many on here would back me up on this but sell all the players whos contract is expiring at the end of the season as soon as you start the game. I made the mistake of not doing it and ended up getting £1.6m for Ji, £1m for Larsson, could have got double those prices at least probably if I sold when I first started the game but as there contract is up I made quick sales. Along with getting those out in January I got rid of Dossena for 230k. Some of the deadwood that there is with massive wages is ridiculous tbh and just proves what is happening irl is just a complete mess of a club we have now.

Going to try and sell Johnson, he hasn't been first team, could probably get £5-10m for him tbh I'm hoping for something like £8m but that might be too hopeful. That would really help the finances over the remaining of the season. This debt repayment which ends in 2016 is the problem. its over £1m a month, adding the other debt repayment and about £18m a year is being repaid to debts. Going to be tough until the 2016 one ends to control the finances.

I would rather not finish too high up the league this season. It could be a disaster if I finish in the top 10 then the club expects a mid-table finish next season. Something which I know would be very hard to do with the financial state of the club. I will be looking at reducing the wage bill to probably about 700-800k for next season, will look at bringing in a few freebies over the summer that can be used for backup who will be on fair contracts. A lot of my bench so far this season have been around the 40k a week mark. Needs to be more like 20k a week if the finances are to be controlled. I've just mutually terminatedf Di Fanti's contract as well which cost 160k, he is absolutely gash. Can't do any part of his job at all so just get rid of him as soon as you start the game.

I've got a shortlist of players that I want to look at signing, got rid of 3 players so far in January but I'm not even going to be able to bring anyone in thats how dire the finances are.

Going to be a tough second half to the season probably. Really enjoying the game so far though most I have enjoyed any FM game, as someone has said in here its just a slightly polished version of FM13, I haven't even really noticed many little changes at all, haven't been looking for them though but it feels so much more fun than 13 which I didn't enjoy

Transfers so far
Out
Larsson - 4 milColback - 3.5 mil Ji - 2.2 mil
Cuellar - Free
Wickham, Ba, MDK , Cotton, Knott, All out on loan In Neil Taylor - 3.5 mil Balanta - 7 mil
Cotton 600k (youth player who i didn't sign)
Currently spending 880 on wages, and spent a net of 1.32 mil with no budget left. Trying to get rid of Gardner, Vaughan, Brown and Bardsley so i can sign a new gk and CM
Tempted to bring Graham back to sell but don't want to be stuck with him

Last edited:
Finished my first season in 13th and have managed to sign Mame Diouf on a free transfer - he finished as the PL top scorer for me whilst on loan - recommend him - he's a beast on this one, only 26.

I guess the transfers are a bit more realistic and you can't go out and spend spend spend, more of a sell to buy policy which is a bit annoying but an interesting challenge.

Think I've played this one more than FM13 - barely touched it last year.

I fancy starting in the Skrill leagues as a challenge to transfer over to the final release. Wanted Blyth but didn't realise they were out of the picture and no editor as yet. Been looking at Barrow. Or I may wait until the editor is available and just create a new team.

Barrow In Furness champions of Europe 2030 :lol:

Started a new save in Skrill South with Whitehawks FC (Sounds so American)

Gonna get some beer on the way home from work and fire up a Gateshead save when the Mrs gans to bed. Want to keep it in the North East and we need another derby in the Premier. :lol:

No sleep for me tonight!

I'm dreading starting my second season in the Skrill Premier.

Literally can't find anyone decent enough to sign and all my main players from last season wouldn't renew their contracts the judas *****.

Relagation, I think. :(

Enjoying it so far - into the second season I'm sat 11th.

Team atm is weak in defence but strong in midfield.

GK: Westwood
LB: Colback
CB: O'Shea
CB: Roberge
RB: Sergio Sanchez
DM: Defour
DM: Nainggolan
MR: Giach
ML: Holtby / Januzaj
ST: Mame Diouf
ST: Fletcher

Ive had a cracking start like. 6 Games in, with 4 wins (V Cardiff, West Ham, Swansea and West Brom), 1 draw (V Everton) and 1 loss (Ashley Cole scored in injury time at Stamford bridge to give Chelsea the win).

Beat Preston and Hull in League cup, and have drawn the Mags at the landfill in next round. Player wise, Johnson and Giacc have been great on the wings, new 'Keeper Guillermo Ochoa has been a wall in net, but Cabral has so far been unreal playing an anchorman role. Tom Ince is proving a massive dissapointment though.

The new tactical side is excellent and really lets you put your stamp on a game.

As I said I was in 5th place around christmas time but I was really struggling financially wise and thought the second half of the season would be a lot tougher.

I was right by saying that we ended up finishing in 13th place. I think we only won 2 games in the last 15 games or so. I got rid of a few players in the January transfer window to free up some wages, didn't make my team weaker but made backup options weaker which can be a big effect. I don't think it had anything to do with that though I think we just got on some pretty bad runs and couldn't get in any good form throughout the second half of the season. I was relieved that we had such a good start to the season after how bad we were in the second half.

The season finished and the board announced next season budgets. I wasn't too happy when I found out that the wage budget was going to be 600k and the transfer budget was going to be £3m. How would I go round improving my team while reducing the wage budget from 900k to 600k at the same time?

I had to get rid of all the deadwood or any player that was on a high wage that I could get rid of. This meant players like Gardener, Westwood, Colback all left on a free at the end of the season. I couldn't offord their contract renewals anyway. We got rid of Graham and Wickham for just £1m each. I couldn't get rid of Brown and he doesn't like me anymore after I tried to force him out the club. He's on 51k per week and he never plays, never comes off the bench so its a pretty massive waste, contract is up at the end of the second season, I couldn't even get rid of him for free and to release him on a free was going to be 2.4m. I wanted rid of one of the high earner wingers as well preferably Johnson who I had been trying to get rid of for most of the first season. No one wanted him for 4m, I wasn't willing to go under that so decided the best option was to sell Giacherini to Monaco for 10m. This provided us with some financial stability and allowed us to get just a few squad players to bolster the squad which was very weak.

Balance is in the black for the first time, wages are down to about 615k after I managed to get the budget to about 650k by sacrificing some of the wage budget so that means we should cope a little better financially this season. Its all about surviving relegation for the first 3 seasons while this big loan repayment of 1.3m is being payed back. This is why the finances are struggling.

Decided that Fletcher and Altidore would be my main strikers for the second season, both has decent enough seasons scoring in double figures in the first season. Johnson would also be coming back into the team after Giac and Pepe left the club, it left us pretty short on the wings and something that I will be looking to address in the January window. I brought in Etherington on a free, 32 year old but should be able to still do a job, fairly low wage as well so seemed ideal with him being English. Mavrias will probably get some action this season as well, lets see if he improves it looks like he could turn out to be a decent enough player.

Brought in Amorobietta on loan from Fulham to partner O'Shea in defence, he has just actually scored 4 goals in my 5-2 away win to newly promoted Watford, 3 headers from corners and he took a penalty when he was on a hat-trick.

Was left with no FB's after Celustka returned back to his club, Colback left on a free etc so I brought in Fabio on loan, he is on the bench atm though but he can play RB or LB so made sense to bring him in. I also brought in Emiliano Papa who boosted shirt sales which should help finances and he is an experienced 32 year old.

Probably going to be a tough season ahead. Had a decent enough start to the league though I think I was around 9th place with 10 points from 8 games when I turned it off last night. Got a feeling we will struggle in the second half of the season again though.

I'm dreading starting my second season in the Skrill Premier.

Literally can't find anyone decent enough to sign and all my main players from last season wouldn't renew their contracts the judas *****.

Relagation, I think. :(

Loan a keeper from a higher league and try and bring in free's/loans with a lot of pace. Pace is key in the lower leagues. Keep the tactics nice and simple.

Also get rid of all your youths to free up some extra wages. Youth players are useless at this level, so surplus to requirements.

Last edited:
Loan a keeper from a higher league and try and bring in free's/loans with a lot of pace. Pace is key in the lower leagues. Keep the tactics nice and simple.

Also get rid of all your youths to free up some extra wages. Youth players are useless at this level, so surplus to requirements.

Yeah done all that mate, finished top in my first season. 10 games in and sitting 2 points outside the play-off places and I was predicted to finish dead bottom :lol:.

I play a canny weird formation like but it seems to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back