Fitted kitchen experiences?

We're looking to replace our modest kitchen with a new one as the finish is peeling off the doors. Has anyone got any advice or experiences to offer regarding potential suppliers and fitters such as Wren, Wickes, Magnet, B&Q etc?

We're looking to replace our modest kitchen with a new one as the finish is peeling off the doors. Has anyone got any advice or experiences to offer regarding potential suppliers and fitters such as Wren, Wickes, Magnet, B&Q etc?
A kitchen fitter recommended DIY Kitchens, get a design done by b and q etc and buy your units from DIY was his advice, obvs find a fitter yourself unless you are going to do it.

I would get an IKEA kitchen if I was in the market for one, looked into it before moving but don’t need one now in the new house

I don’t understand how the likes of wren stay in business, feels like you’re in DFS or some sort of parody sitcom about sleazy salesman when you go in there

My nana and granda saved a fortune by having their kitchen 'face lifted' New worktop and doors but kept all the old units. Worth looking into if your units aren't nackered.

I was once very ill in a fitted kitchen after drinking several pints of something that seemed to disagree with me. Not an experience I’m in a rush to repeat.

A kitchen fitter is in your house for a week..what’s a fair price for his labour..include him bringing a sparky and a plumber..possibly a tiler to do their bit..rough figure??

I got a quote of over £3000 to just change the doors after they peeled, tried online but they didn’t have 2 sizes so just decided to strip and paint them instead.

It looks decent enough, the quote worked out over £150 a door, bloody expensive fitting that mind.

Surprised no ones mentioned Howdens yet. They either supply units only or also have their own fitters.

We used Select Kitchens and Bathrooms at Rainton Meadows.
We were looking about and everyone had similar stuff in, we were heading towards Howdens, then we got a recommendation to have a look at Select. They had different designs on offer.
Went with them. They stripped the old & provided fitter, sparky, plumber.
Great job.

@Scimmy I’ve dealt with a few kitchen installations recently and would definitely say keep out the way of B and Q and Wickes as they’ll push their people to do the installation part and they make the majority of their money through labour charges

Go to places such as Homebase and Howdens and select the kitchen you want, get it delivered and and find a good kitchen fitter to put it in. Would also try and rip your current kitchen out yourself as you’ll save a few quid doing so, like @OldNewtown said get a good fitter and you’re laughing, save a few quid cash in hand too

Speak to Norman at NB kitchens Jarrow.’

1st class bloke and company.Expect to wait though
I would get an IKEA kitchen if I was in the market for one, looked into it before moving but don’t need one now in the new house

I don’t understand how the likes of wren stay in business, feels like you’re in DFS or some sort of parody sitcom about sleazy salesman when you go in there
They are an absolute disaster to fit and are shite.Peoples greed (and it’s generally youngens who shop in ikea for tat)Been burnt before with them giving a price ,now refuse to fit or will do on a day rate.
@Scimmy I’ve dealt with a few kitchen installations recently and would definitely say keep out the way of B and Q and Wickes as they’ll push their people to do the installation part and they make the majority of their money through labour charges

Go to places such as Homebase and Howdens and select the kitchen you want, get it delivered and and find a good kitchen fitter to put it in. Would also try and rip your current kitchen out yourself as you’ll save a few quid doing so, like @OldNewtown said get a good fitter and you’re laughing, save a few quid cash in hand too
Thing to consider is this;

Has the person designing the kitchen ever fitted a fucker?The answer to that question is generally no and they have not one clue what they are trying to squeeze in.
That’s where wren,b-q,wickes fall flat on their face and the customer suffers.

Last edited:

Back