Fishing

Advice needed please, this year I really want to try spinning for bass, mackerel, pollock, owt really. From the shore. Is it worth a go locally from our local beaches or rocks? Summer / autumn time. Thanks
Embleton beach is canny for bass in the summer. I've seen fish to 5lb taken within 20 yards of the shore on lures. Wade out, the cast parallel to the beach.
Without wishing to sound too precious bass are a slow growing fish and anglers are restricted to 2 fish per day.

However, some anglers are less than scrupulous when it comes to keeping fish.

If we want to see a growing bass population we should be returning fish.
Shore fishing has nothing to do with declining bass stocks. It's all down to those using nets.

Last edited:

Heard of one caught under the old bridge at Walton that was 78?Lb.Lots caught normally kittens, know a few who have been broken off by big ones hooked while barbel fishing.
I started fishing river Wear in 1959 aged 9. For trout mainly using worms, occasionally dead minnows. We used to catch minnows in minnow traps and regularly caught catfish the same size 2-3" long. Who knows if theyre still there or how big they might be

I started fishing river Wear in 1959 aged 9. For trout mainly using worms, occasionally dead minnows. We used to catch minnows in minnow traps and regularly caught catfish the same size 2-3" long. Who knows if theyre still there or how big they might be
the catfish might have been loaches which are native and have barbules like a small catfish..we used to use them and minnos , but salt them, used to really attract bigger trout
anyway..I am treating myself to a new stillwater fly rod this season after the reel uplocking ring fell to bits..

Last edited:
the catfish might have been loaches which are native and have barbules like a small catfish

Thanks, youre probably right. Otherwise somebody over the last 50yrs would surely have caught a huge catfish!

As an aside, are you the Gingernick that was a member of the private fishing club that has Waskerly and Smiddyshaw Reservoirs?

Thanks, youre probably right. Otherwise somebody over the last 50yrs would surely have caught a huge catfish!

As an aside, are you the Gingernick that was a member of the private fishing club that has Waskerly and Smiddyshaw Reservoirs?
I am ( and have renewed again this year)..and so is wisemensaysteve if I remember rightly
I have an old greys xflite fly rod that I love and has been great, but the uplocker is pretty much knackered now, still prefer a medium action and so many rods are much faster actioned these days

think about a snowbee spectre pro in 9ft6 at a 6 or 7 weight.

Last edited:
I am ( and have renewed again this year)..and so is wisemensaysteve if I remember rightly
I have an old greys xflite fly rod that I love and has been great, but the uplocker is pretty much knackered now, still prefer a medium action and so many rods are much faster actioned these days

Yes, I'm in thanks to you, looking forward to getting out and doing better than I did last season.

Was up there on Sunday,just for a wander, plenty snow still about and all 3 were full to the brim
I took a drive up last Thursday, no snow until Snods Edge, by the time I got above Waskerley the snowplow had been out, I chickened out from my original plan to walk over, The Derwent is overflowing, I''ve never seen it so full.

I was a member there for 4 or 5 years, but arthritis in my fingers, wrists and shoulder coupled with 2 knees that need replacing meant giving up my membership.

Gave all my fly fishing stuff away.

I was a member there for 4 or 5 years, but arthritis in my fingers, wrists and shoulder coupled with 2 knees that need replacing meant giving up my membership.

Gave all my fly fishing stuff away.
blimey...I think it would be huge loss to me not to be able to fish, though even now I cant see how people can even tie on a size 22 fly let alone see it on the bloody water!

Back