Fishing

Out: Mackerel

I’ve never understood fishing personally. Sit for hours on your tod in the freezing cold till you catch a fish, then throw it back in. Pack up your gear and go home.
Or sit for a couple of hours with your mates having a bit crack in the late evening sunshine. Catch a Bass or two, take it home and cook the freshest tastiest fish you will ever eat.

Logon or register to see this image

https://postimg.cc/HcZGjBrc

Or you could drive down to the supermarket and buy a farm reared shit fed one a quarter of the size for £10.

Been some time away from it but decided I will get back to giving Pike fishing a go.
Live near a decent reservoir and some big fish amongst the Carp Anglers.

Day permits.

@Jon Dough and @Big Jeff
Or sit for a couple of hours with your mates having a bit crack in the late evening sunshine. Catch a Bass or two, take it home and cook the freshest tastiest fish you will ever eat.

https://postimg.cc/HcZGjBrc

Or you could drive down to the supermarket and buy a farm reared shit fed one a quarter of the size for £10.

Superb.

Went for a walk along the river earlier,7 anglers all targeting barbel.

Will have another go at Barbel once the season starts on the glorious 16th June.
My favourite stretch on the Thames has been sold thus will be a distant memory in a years time. However a shadow of its former glory.
I’ve tried pike fishing on the Norfolk Broads. I got nowt. Probably just as well as they are a bit bitey.

Used to enjoy it but lack of time sadly moved away from it.

Last edited:
Will have another go at Barbel once the season starts on the glorious 16th June.
My favourite stretch on the Thames has been sold thus will be a distant memory in a years time. However a shadow of its former glory.

Used to enjoy it but lack of time sadly moved away from it.
There was an outfit on the broads called Pike Tech , no idea if they are still going but they did guided trips in a small boat to get into pike.

By October the fish go upriver and away from the broads and into the rivers and boat yards. I was fishing all over but got a lot of roach at Neatishead which is up river from Barton Broad.

I celebrated in the pub in Neatishead later that night. The White Horse I think it was called.

Mind coarse fishing always seemed underwhelming as I only caught really small fish like roach and dace.

Nothing like getting into a big cod.🐟

Advice needed please, this year I really want to try spinning for bass, mackerel, pollock, owt really. From the shore. Is it worth a go locally from our local beaches or rocks? Summer / autumn time. Thanks

Advice needed please, this year I really want to try spinning for bass, mackerel, pollock, owt really. From the shore. Is it worth a go locally from our local beaches or rocks? Summer / autumn time. Thanks
You will find a lot of bass anglers to be sneaky f******.

I am no different but I’ve heard Wales is good for bass.

All the sandy beaches in the North East will give up Bass if there's a bit surf on. Ragworm cast just beyond the breakers will get you them.

As far as Lure/plug fishing for them is concerned, rough ground area's are better than the beaches, especially if the conditions are flat and water clear. The Bass fishery around the NE is growing year after year, we're now seeing spawning size fish caught (and returned) which is great news. As Big Jeff has mentioned, Bass anglers can be sneaky, but for a couple of reasons. 1) We spend hours and hours finding them, so we don't advertise where they're caught, to find the world and his wife there the following day, and 2) netters also read fishing forums.

Further afield, SW Scotland is very good, all the way from the Balcary area west to the Mull of Galloway and Luce Bay (where I go). As Big Jeff mentioned, Wales is also very good, as well as the South Coast.

All I can say is be patient, and if you're lure fishing, be mobile. It took me 9 years of trying to get my first SW Scotland Bass, but once you figure out where they are, tides etc, it's a lot easier. Personally, there's no better sight than seeing a Bass hammer your lure on the surface, gets the adrenaline going.

Good luck.

Totally get that.
Can't beat it mate. I am a member on a syndicate up here and midweek you usually get the whole place to yourself. Nothing but water, trees and wildlife for miles around it. My idea of heaven.
Saw some big fish come out of the Thames.
I honestly didn't know there were wels catfish in the Thames until not long ago and I have fished for 40 year

Last edited:
Can't beat it mate. I am a member on a syndicate up here and midweek you usually get the whole place to yourself. Nothing but water, trees and wildlife for miles around it. My idea of heaven.

I honestly didn't know there were wels catfish in the Thames until not long ago and I have fished for 40 year
Heard of one caught under the old bridge at Walton that was 78?Lb.Lots caught normally kittens, know a few who have been broken off by big ones hooked while barbel fishing.

Heard of one caught under the old bridge at Walton that was 78?Lb.Lots caught normally kittens, know a few who have been broken off by big ones hooked while barbel fishing.
Aye, have since found out there are some monsters in there like.
Personally never fished the Thames but it is supposedly very good for carp as are some areas of central London.

All the sandy beaches in the North East will give up Bass if there's a bit surf on. Ragworm cast just beyond the breakers will get you them.

As far as Lure/plug fishing for them is concerned, rough ground area's are better than the beaches, especially if the conditions are flat and water clear. The Bass fishery around the NE is growing year after year, we're now seeing spawning size fish caught (and returned) which is great news. As Big Jeff has mentioned, Bass anglers can be sneaky, but for a couple of reasons. 1) We spend hours and hours finding them, so we don't advertise where they're caught, to find the world and his wife there the following day, and 2) netters also read fishing forums.

Further afield, SW Scotland is very good, all the way from the Balcary area west to the Mull of Galloway and Luce Bay (where I go). As Big Jeff mentioned, Wales is also very good, as well as the South Coast.

All I can say is be patient, and if you're lure fishing, be mobile. It took me 9 years of trying to get my first SW Scotland Bass, but once you figure out where they are, tides etc, it's a lot easier. Personally, there's no better sight than seeing a Bass hammer your lure on the surface, gets the adrenaline going.

Good luck.
Without wishing to sound too precious bass are a slow growing fish and anglers are restricted to 2 fish per day.

However, some anglers are less than scrupulous when it comes to keeping fish.

If we want to see a growing bass population we should be returning fish.

Back