Fishing

I am ( and have renewed again this year)..and so is wisemensaysteve if I remember rightly
I have an old greys xflite fly rod that I love and has been great, but the uplocker is pretty much knackered now, still prefer a medium action and so many rods are much faster actioned these days

think about a snowbee spectre pro in 9ft6 at a 6 or 7 weight.
When I was a kid me and my brother and dad and Granda were members of a fishing club (North West Durham or something like that) that fished Waskerley and Smiddy Shaw. I loved it! All methods allowed, stocked with small brownies that would grow on for keeping size in a year or two. Spinning using toby’s was great method at the beginning and end of the season, live baiting minnows summer time was awesome. Fly great once waters warmed. Smid was fly only at beginning of season. Happy happy days travelling to them from Penshaw. A pound and a half brownie was a big big fish, usually from Smid. Waskerley fish smaller but lush to eat, we called them Wask fish fingers (9 inch minimum taking limit)

Got to be the same one caught as last year just 3 pund heavier now.
Could be but there’s far bigger ones out there,I am sure I read somewhere of a 60 pounder found dead years ago?
I wouldn’t like it chewing on my neck.

Logon or register to see this image

Last edited:
Could be but there’s far bigger ones out there,I am sure I read somewhere of a 60 pounder found dead years ago?
I had a monster up in Scotland (the Ken river) no scales or owt as we were fishing for roach. Noticed a big perch in the swim, so got my spinning rod out the van and tied a treble on. Next roach I caught I hooked it on. Wallop pike took it. Must have been 25+ il try ind dig the picture out.

Aren't there some decent pike in the QE2 lake at Ashington ? Me and a mate had a couple of single figure fish there in the early 90s, but even back then there were rumours about a couple of really big fish in the lake.

Logon or register to see this image

A 40lb plus came out of the local reservoir a few years back.
Mainly fished for Carp.
Going to have a go dead baiting next week 🎣

Aren't there some decent pike in the QE2 lake at Ashington ? Me and a mate had a couple of single figure fish there in the early 90s, but even back then there were rumours about a couple of really big fish in the lake.
there must be somewhere...its always had a good head of roach so stands to reason there must be some big ones in there..its 40 acres, theres a lot water to find them in..or for them to hide in

Bought some mackerel from the supermarket yesterday and cut the heads off and removed the guts.
Late last night was experimenting and making some “pop ups” out of some wine corks and wire traces. They fit perfectly and tested one in a bucket of water.

For those unaware this makes the dead bait float just off the bottom of the water.

Just waiting for this rain to do one and will give it a go.

Anyone on here fishing the Sunderland competition today?

Any news? How was it fishing?

I blanked last week. Water very coloured, the only satisfaction was nobody else caught a Pike,
Bloke along from me had one take his method feeder, reckons around 15lb, took off and let go. Need the water to clear a little, they are looking to spawn now.

Back