First time buyer - house viewing

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you want kids - even 10 year down the line, check for school catchment. If owt goes wrong with the housing market you could lose any built up equity and either be stuck or have to move for a hit when the time comes.

The rest may all feel a bit intrusive but if you're spending tens or hundreds of thousands it's worth it.
Check the heating works. Check all taps are working and there's no cracks in any sinks or en suites etc. Check all windows open and close as expected. Check the condition of any flooring and factor it into the purchase price. Look for any cracking in the walls. Look at roof and flashing round chimneys etc, general maintenance kind of stuff.

View the police crime map and see if you can spot anything regularly going on. Nuisance groups at shops and parks etc. Make repeat visits to the street to gauge what it feels like at different times of the day/week.
If you use public transport have a wander to the nearest stops and check timetables online. If you drive, try and do a commute to your work from the street at your normal time.

Check sold property prices and also check how many are rentals which may see a high turnover of neighbours. Try and find out what type of neighbours you'll end up with.

People will spend longer test driving a car that costs a fraction of a house...

Plenty of good to outstanding primary schools in the area which sorts that for what, 10-11 years post-birth. Which isn’t going to be any time soon :lol:

?

What could he possibly have to say about someone buying a sensible, terraced house having saved for several years? :lol:

Last edited:

Plenty of good to outstanding primary schools in the area which sorts that for what, 10-11 years post-birth. Which isn’t going to be any time soon :lol:

?

What could he possibly have to say about someone buying a sensible, terraced house having saved for several years? :lol:

I just thought he could add his experience and wisdom to the thread that’s all so wanted to bring it to his attention.

I just thought he could add his experience and wisdom to the thread that’s all so wanted to bring it to his attention.

I quite like Moos approach of move into a house you like and don't need to move on from tbh. Or are there other theories Moo also has?

What experience and wisdom? I've bought 2 houses in my life. Genuinely puzzled why you've bothered tagging me here.

You'll do well to heed that advice. As a prospective buyer of my next home schools are the top priority. Firstly it gives you the flexibility of not having to move and secondly keeps prices high.

I own a century old terrace so as some have said, insulation, wiring, boiler, damp, eaves and chimney stack. Is it freehold?

Bizarre reaction that like chaps. You make an honest attempt to include someone in the thread who you think might be able to benefit the OP and this is the reaction.

Very strange.

Good luck to you @Charmless Man hope you find a nice house mate.

Bizarre reaction that like chaps. You make an honest attempt to include someone in the thread who you think might be able to benefit the OP and this is the reaction.

Very strange.

Good luck to you @Charmless Man hope you find a nice house mate.

:lol:

Sure I read somewhere that said that there was a new law meaning if the house is haunted, they have to tell you

Bloody hope so. Don’t want to have to pay a medium as well as a surveyor and a solicitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back