FIRST ASHES TEST: Edgbaston

Status
Not open for further replies.
I take your point but I don’t think the next 4 pitches are going to suit us dramatically more than them to the point that it makes up for us not being able to bat and them having a more complete attack. And In any situation where England post a good total there’s simply no reason to believe Smith won’t do the same.

Aye but you can have a laugh without that weak shite. Stuff like God save your Queen, etc, that’s great, witty, fun. The cheating chant is moronic football bollocks.

Sang at the right times it’s funny given what’s happened, but I agree that singing it constantly is tedious.

I take your point but I don’t think the next 4 pitches are going to suit us dramatically more than them to the point that it makes up for us not being able to bat and them having a more complete attack. And In any situation where England post a good total there’s simply no reason to believe Smith won’t do the same.

I fully agree. Basically what I am saying is the surface this test didnt massively favour their batsmen compared to ours, it was more a case of their attack being a lot better. I cant see what sort of pitch will massively swing it our way, in terms of what our batsmen favour.

Last edited:
Compare and contrast Lyon's performance with Moeen's. Worlds apart. More like galaxies.

England desperately need to find a spinner who deliver for them. Rashid averages 40 so he's far from reliable.

Sang at the right times it’s funny given what’s happened, but I agree that singing it constantly is tedious.
Exactly.
The best sledging, either from players or the crowd, always had wit and style.
Warner being chased around the boundary by a bloke dressed as a builder, waving sandpaper at him - f***ing hilarious.
The creeping, overly abusive football stuff we're getting more and more of in the game is something I'm not keen on.
Maybe I'm an old duffer!

Compare and contrast Lyon's performance with Moeen's. Worlds apart. More like galaxies.

England desperately need to find a spinner who deliver for them. Rashid averages 40 so he's far from reliable.

Yup.

In Cummins and Lyon they have two of the best bowlers, of their kind, in the world.

Imagine if we had Anderson and Swann, i reckon we would have won. And that's the difference.

Last edited:
Didn't see the last 6 wickets fall, but we'd shot ourselves in the head by then anyway. What was a tough task becomes impossible when you give yourself up, and we gave them the first two wickets. Really poor.

For me: Denly, Ali and Anderson out, Malan, Leach and Archer in. Foakes told to prepare himself as Bairstow is running out of goodwill.

Losing Anderson was massive - Stokes (bowling), Moeen, Buttler, Roy, Bairstow all look really undercooked in terms of first class preparation.

Next test: Roy, Burns, Root, Stokes, Bairstow, Buttler, Wokes, Curran, Rashid or Leach, Archer, Broad.

Didn't see the last 6 wickets fall, but we'd shot ourselves in the head by then anyway. What was a tough task becomes impossible when you give yourself up, and we gave them the first two wickets. Really poor.

For me: Denly, Ali and Anderson out, Malan, Leach and Archer in. Foakes told to prepare himself as Bairstow is running out of goodwill.

I’m be tempted to play Curran instead of Malan. The lad has something about him in the Test arena.
To be given a last years juke ball that swung 110% more than the current ball for 20 plus overs!! 😳

There’s no doubt it made a difference, along with Smith, Anderson being crocked, Mo’s pie chucking and half our batsmen being woefully out of nick.

Last edited:
I’m be tempted to play Curran instead of Malan. The lad has something about him in the Test arena.

If you like. Given the situation there's no way anyone could have a strong opinion on who comes in to bat.

TBH, get the top 5 or 6 in the averages from both divisions, pop the names in a hat pull one out at random. There you go son, you're up. Good luck.

There’s no doubt it made a difference, along with Smith, Anderson being crocked, Mo’s pie chucking and half our batsmen being woefully out of nick.
Smith is a fantastic talent. But for me should have a lifetime ban along with all involved. Cricket is a pure sport and anyone who brings it into disrepute should never play again!

If you like. Given the situation there's no way anyone could have a strong opinion on who comes in to bat.

TBH, get the top 5 or 6 in the averages from both divisions, pop the names in a hat pull one out at random. There you go son, you're up. Good luck.
Part of me feels like they should just put the One Day team out at Lords, triumphant return, bit of fun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back