Finding out your going to be a Dad.

What’s people’s memories of it ?

Personally for me it was “ ahhh f***ing hell” but not in a good way at the time. Sharp got over that initial shock though and went with the flow.
Once they where born ( which is an awful experience) it got better every day

Pretty much my experience of it all, especially the birth bit which was god awful

Personally for me it was “ ahhh f***ing hell” but not in a good way at the time. Sharp got over that initial shock though and went with the flow.
Fustun, was the same aw fuck, but ya on the pill, 2nd un was planned, up the duff straight away, 1st shot a reckon...

Doddle since they were born, some gadgies whinge about kids being stressful and that, they tend to be teachers or recruiters

Our joint reaction was 'ohhhh fuck'. :lol: It was not planned at all. It caused a bit of chaos as well as we had to accelerate plans to move back north and buy a house, which only got sorted a month before he was born.

It's all canny now though and I'm glad it happened, though ideally we could have done with another couple of years child free to get settled in a new city!

I was shitting it for the birth but it was actually a pretty amazing experience in the end, looking back on it now. It went as well as it could have possibly gone, thank god.

My now fianceé was on birth control when we found out shortly after I finished university so it was a shock. We were both young but I was raised to believe you always stick by your kids no matter what so went into full blown problem solving mode and sorted all the things that needed sorting out, got a better job so she didnt have to work if she didnt want to, etc

Didnt really hit me until the day he was born tbh (which as you say Gilly was an awful experience). She always wanted kids but I was on the fence at the time, but now I realise its the most important thing you can do with your life

Funny, the missus simple shouted through to me (in the bedroom) - she only said my name.
I knew instantly.
Pretty bad timing tbh, as we were about to head off to a music festival :lol:

5 years later, the exact same thing happened. I knew again. We weren't even trying that time (not trying not to)

When I studied psychology I learned that most abusers were victims of abuse themselves. Phycological, physical and sexual, it was normalised in their lives.

Luckily I didn't suffer any of these.

The one I did suffer from was a type of neglect that you see so often today. Ignoring kids and letting them entertain themselves.

Emotional neglect.

My dad wasn't the greatest, his early years he was a typical working clubs selfish dad.
Work, club, bookies 6 days a week.

It wasn't until his later years he reflected on how bad a dad he was offering us money and certain family members took advantage of this.

I'm sitting in a bar now with my 3 boys, (men, 35, 33 and 30) with my granddaughter and daughter in law, they come first, I enjoy my time with them.

I think I'm a better dad than my dad and hopefully my son's see this and are better dads than me.

Last edited:

Back