Field of Dreams - Freddie Flintoff

Watched it last night. Amazing television. Just goes to show what happens when you give people a chance.

Elitism and nepotism is killing cricket. Our daughter loved cricket and was desperate to play but the local clubs couldn't have cared less. She had one season at a local club (supposedly with a good track record for youth development) then couldn't get enrolled for a second season, because she wasn't an elite player or child of a friend of the club hierarchy. I contacted three or four other clubs and not one replied. She's now completely lost interest in cricket. A ten year old kid saying they don't want to play cricket any more because it's 'elitist' FFS. No wonder these lads didn't think cricket is for them.

Based on its site Vernon’s doesn’t seem to have been on the bones of its arse like it made our mind. Had loads of teams.

Would have been nice if the lads had been kept as a social team for a season to get themselves decent. If they’re just chucked into a club from the off most will probably just drift away.

Watched it last night. Amazing television. Just goes to show what happens when you give people a chance.

Elitism and nepotism is killing cricket. Our daughter loved cricket and was desperate to play but the local clubs couldn't have cared less. She had one season at a local club (supposedly with a good track record for youth development) then couldn't get enrolled for a second season, because she wasn't an elite player or child of a friend of the club hierarchy. I contacted three or four other clubs and not one replied. She's now completely lost interest in cricket. A ten year old kid saying they don't want to play cricket any more because it's 'elitist' FFS. No wonder these lads didn't think cricket is for them.
Its a shame that as some clubs have girls only teams now

Its a shame that as some clubs have girls only teams now
The club in question has girls and ladies only teams. She wanted to step up from U9 mixed to girls U12, wasn't daunted by playing with a hard ball or owt. They contacted her friends (boys) when nets resumed after lockdown but not her. My wife contacted the youth organiser three times and was promised they'd 'send out a form', kept chasing but got nothing. Wasted over a hundred quid on bats, gear, personalised club shirt, cap etc. She won't even go to the club at school any more and would rather play tennis.

Even if these kids in Preston loved cricket they still wouldn't have got a look in without this show IMO. Too rough, too skint, no family connections. That dragon would probably have called the police on them.

I used to be a golf club member and it was much the same.

England would boss this sport if they didn't exclude 95% of the population.

The club in question has girls and ladies only teams. She wanted to step up from U9 mixed to girls U12, wasn't daunted by playing with a hard ball or owt. They contacted her friends (boys) when nets resumed after lockdown but not her. My wife contacted the youth organiser three times and was promised they'd 'send out a form', kept chasing but got nothing. Wasted over a hundred quid on bats, gear, personalised club shirt, cap etc. She won't even go to the club at school any more and would rather play tennis.

Even if these kids in Preston loved cricket they still wouldn't have got a look in without this show IMO. Too rough, too skint, no family connections. That dragon would probably have called the police on them.

Fair enough mate. But from my experience of club cricket I disagree. Obviously some clubs operate different to others

Based on its site Vernon’s doesn’t seem to have been on the bones of its arse like it made our mind. Had loads of teams.

Would have been nice if the lads had been kept as a social team for a season to get themselves decent. If they’re just chucked into a club from the off most will probably just drift away.

4 senior teams, a t20 side and loads of junior teams from a quick glance.
Not exactly struggling given the amount of teams I see on social media begging for fixtures because of clubs dropping out / not being able to put a squad together

Class show though. Think it'll do a lot of good in the long run

Don’t know where you’re based mate but Mr Millfielder is a U11 coach for our club. It’s mixed, not girls only but all are welcome. We’re all about progress and enjoying it (wey, my son doesn’t get that and he’s competitive as owt, but otherwise…).

Don’t know where you’re based mate but Mr Millfielder is a U11 coach for our club. It’s mixed, not girls only but all are welcome. We’re all about progress and enjoying it (wey, my son doesn’t get that and he’s competitive as owt, but otherwise…).
That's great. Consett but looking to move to Durham or Sunderland in the next 12 months. Can you PM me club name/details?

enjoyed Michael Vaughan's praise through gritted teeth after mistiming a slog to mid off :lol: Good show overall. Hope those lads keep it up, but less than half had signed on to Vernons when those credits were made. Made me regret packing in at 18 mind and not sticking it out but it was depressing watching 40+ year old getting picked ahead of young kids.

Last edited:

Back