Field of Dreams - Freddie Flintoff

I think it sounds quite interesting. Invisible sport to most kids in these areas, unless there’s a club on their doorstep.

Thankfully in the NE there are still quite a few clubs going in the ‘tough’ areas but I sense that isn’t the case in the likes of London.

Was playing against the club I started at as a kid the other week. They don't have the junior sides that I went through anymore. It needs a lot more exposure and support in the schools up here as well. Probably not quite as bad as London as you say

I think it sounds quite interesting. Invisible sport to most kids in these areas, unless there’s a club on their doorstep.

Thankfully in the NE there are still quite a few clubs going in the ‘tough’ areas but I sense that isn’t the case in the likes of London.
The notion that Flintoff gives a shit is laughable.

It'll be a matter of prime real estate. Hard to imagine a small underfunded club not becoming housing down there

Was playing against the club I started at as a kid the other week. They don't have the junior sides that I went through anymore. It needs a lot more exposure and support in the schools up here as well. Probably not quite as bad as London as you say

Sad for your old club but in general I think there’s a lot more junior set-ups than 10/15 years ago. Plus under 9 leagues, lots of clubs with two sides at each age group etc.

Starts tonight on BBC @ 8pm

Really good to see probably the most influential player for me and others growing up in the early/mid 00s trying to do the same with kids today
Ah background....
100 quid on a bat 100 quid on helmet, pads, kit etc, lives in a different world to most.

Maybe should be about very rich parents whose kids go to private school can afford to take the game up as a hobby.

Take up 8 hours of your weekends. Ok then Freddie I have respect but it is a bbc program that still live in the dark ages.

Ah background....
100 quid on a bat 100 quid on helmet, pads, kit etc, lives in a different world to most.

Maybe should be about very rich parents whose kids go to private school can afford to take the game up as a hobby.

Take up 8 hours of your weekends. Ok then Freddie I have respect but it is a bbc program that still live in the dark ages.

Do clubs still have communal bags of gear nowadays? When I first started playing very few had all there own stuff. Use to be raking about in the gear bag to find two decent pads and bats were regularly passed over as one fella trudged off to the other striding in. I've seen the odd box get exchanged too ha

Think I’ll record it 👍
VHS or Betamax 🤔
Do clubs still have communal bags of gear nowadays? When I first started playing very few had all there own stuff. Use to be raking about in the gear bag to find two decent pads and bats were regularly passed over as one fella trudged off to the other striding in. I've seen the odd box get exchanged too ha
Left handed batting gloves were a rare commodity

Last edited:
Thought that was really good.

The bit about it being the poshest sport in the country is bollocks mind. Lots of the privately educated cricketers only got in those places on sports scholarships. Loads more working class kids will play at cricket clubs than tennis or golf ones I reckon, and that’s before you start on the likes of Formula 1.

Lord Taveners don’t give out kit bags to clubs anymore and also clubs have lost a lot of coaches due to having to work 4 on 4 off 12 hour shifts.

Enjoyed it and will tune in next week. Not quite sure on the bashing of these “privately educated” cricketers as that’s certainly not a representation of the sport up here. Lads could take up cricket at a young age and find themselves at Durham school etc on scholarships. But I get what he’s trying to do

Enjoyed it and will tune in next week. Not quite sure on the bashing of these “privately educated” cricketers as that’s certainly not a representation of the sport up here. Lads could take up cricket at a young age and find themselves at Durham school etc on scholarships. But I get what he’s trying to do

Exactly. The proportion of privately educated players up here will be very small.

Back