Field of Dreams - Freddie Flintoff

I'm a big supporter of women's cricket. I follow the national side almost as closely as the men's but I hate things like this. Yes there should be more done in general to get young girls involved but not everything has to be mixed

The girls were involved at the start, and this was all clearly explained. Everything these days picks up on race/sex, tedious as fuck

Maybe some of the women's cricketers could do something?

Honestly man (am I ok to say that), ridiculous stuff.

Well done Freddie
Ironically a quick look on Find a Club - Girls Cricket Club shows plenty of girls clubs in the Lancashire area

Last edited:

The bloke is such a knob that even if he delivered world peace he would still be a complete arse.

Complete bollocks about needing to be "Rich or lucky" to play cricket as well, certainly in the modern era. Which was he?

Wish I'd have played it properly. Played a couple of games for the school. Loved fielding, could catch anything. But couldn't bat or bowl to save my life.

Quit after one match where one of my overs lasted about 13 balls. Really wish I'd carried on.

Didn't know of any local clubs then, there seems to be a few now. Think in late 30s I'm probably a bit old to take it up now!

Wish I'd have played it properly. Played a couple of games for the school. Loved fielding, could catch anything. But couldn't bat or bowl to save my life.

Quit after one match where one of my overs lasted about 13 balls. Really wish I'd carried on.

Didn't know of any local clubs then, there seems to be a few now. Think in late 30s I'm probably a bit old to take it up now!

Its never too late mate. I had a very very long break before playing again. I'm early 30s and it was hard but training every week getting as involved as I can and managed fine. Most clubs will be grateful to just have someone on the books even if you only fill in part time

The bloke is such a knob that even if he delivered world peace he would still be a complete arse.

Complete bollocks about needing to be "Rich or lucky" to play cricket as well, certainly in the modern era. Which was he?
He’s already said he was one of the lucky ones. His dad was at a local club and he went from there. I’d guess a lot of lads playing in the north east would be the same. That was certainly true for me.

There seems to be a split in cricket in this country. In the north it’s seen as a working class game in that most of the clubs in the Durham area are former pit clubs. I think the opposite is true the further south you go.

He’s already said he was one of the lucky ones. His dad was at a local club and he went from there. I’d guess a lot of lads playing in the north east would be the same. That was certainly true for me.

There seems to be a split in cricket in this country. In the north it’s seen as a working class game in that most of the clubs in the Durham area are former pit clubs. I think the opposite is true the further south you go.

He does nothing but slag cricket off for supposed comedic effect, he's given nothing back to the game since retiring and this is purely publicity to get him on mainstream BBC1 viewing.

I think it sounds quite interesting. Invisible sport to most kids in these areas, unless there’s a club on their doorstep.

Thankfully in the NE there are still quite a few clubs going in the ‘tough’ areas but I sense that isn’t the case in the likes of London.
I moved up Scotland two year ago, it amazes me how many clubs are actually up here!

Was thinking of getting back into it last summer, I played from like age 8-16 for Blackhall.

But since the bairns come along I just proper cba- Plus its now been 12 year since I played :lol:

He's already part of one of the biggest programs on BBC he hardly needs the publicity

He's not doing this for the game of cricket though is he, lets be realistic? It's just a chance to line his pockets and get further exposure. He's offered nothing to the game since retiring other than taking the piss about how boring it is.

He's not doing this for the game of cricket though is he, lets be realistic? It's just a chance to line his pockets and get further exposure. He's offered nothing to the game since retiring other than taking the piss about how boring it is.
He coaches one of the lancashire junior teams? He made an appearance at hetton lyons when they were hosting a county game

The Lords Taverners “Wicketz” programme is an established nationwide programme aimed at youngsters living in deprived communities based in sustainable community cricket hubs. This is run mainly by volunteers. It’s not aiming to seek tomorrow’s county stars but provides a genuine alternative outlook for kids and an introduction to cricket for many who have probably never heard of it before. Lord's Taverners - Wicketz

Do clubs still have communal bags of gear nowadays? When I first started playing very few had all there own stuff. Use to be raking about in the gear bag to find two decent pads and bats were regularly passed over as one fella trudged off to the other striding in. I've seen the odd box get exchanged too ha
Problem back in my day was that the communal bags for the junior teams were made up of discarded gear from the adult players. Which meant you went out to bat in pads that nipped your bollocks and bats you could hardly lift :lol:

Hopefully things have improved for them now!

As an aside who else remembers playing in the spiked batting gloves we used to get, they were as much use as a chocolate fireguard :)

Back