Fethiye Turkey.

I'm just along the coast at the minute. Been in Turkey two months, got one month to go.

In our two months here, we've seen the exchange rate go from 7 lira to the pound up to 8.2 and back down to 7.7. The pound's current weakness isn't helping. Dollars have been far more useful (it's the currency I'm paid in, which helps).

Inflation has been noticeable. Restaurant menus tend to have the prices Tipexed out and Biroed in. All the food prices have gone up while we've been here.
What’s the crack with a visa ?

What’s the crack with a visa ?

Bought a 3-month visa online before we came. In theory it's possible to extend, but at the moment we're living nomadically, moving from country to country, doing the maximum the visa will allow in each. We came here from Uganda, we're going on to Greece.

Having lived in Turkey NEVER EVER buy anything with pounds or Euros as this is a very popular trick to rip off "easy targets" also agree the price of any food or drinks before you eat or drink it. The majority of locals are relatively friendly but at the same time short of cash and see white Westerners as a bit of a payday. Also don't walk through any of the markets if you don't want people following you and turning up at your hotel trying to flog you fake Gucci and Rolexes. All in all though its a nice country with some genuinely nice people and places.

Having lived in Turkey NEVER EVER buy anything with pounds or Euros as this is a very popular trick to rip off "easy targets" also agree the price of any food or drinks before you eat or drink it. The majority of locals are relatively friendly but at the same time short of cash and see white Westerners as a bit of a payday. Also don't walk through any of the markets if you don't want people following you and turning up at your hotel trying to flog you fake Gucci and Rolexes. All in all though its a nice country with some genuinely nice people and places.

We had a wonderful two months in Izmir. We had our usual restaurants, grocery shops and bakery - no hassle, no rip-offs. What a contrast now we're in a touristy bit. Restaurant prices have doubled at least, and there's constant hassle when we walk along the main streets (hopefully it'll settle down once they get to recognise us).

There's also the embarrassment of badly behaved British tourists. Just been in Migros supermarket were there was a bunch of lobster-pink middle-aged Scouse women shouting between the aisles. Including this exchange: "Do we need 'nanas?" "'Nanas?" "'Nanas in pyjamas." Then they all started chanting: "'Nanas in pyjamas." The locals were not exactly charmed by it. Imagine having to put up with that day in day out. No wonder they have no problem ripping us off.

We had a wonderful two months in Izmir. We had our usual restaurants, grocery shops and bakery - no hassle, no rip-offs. What a contrast now we're in a touristy bit. Restaurant prices have doubled at least, and there's constant hassle when we walk along the main streets (hopefully it'll settle down once they get to recognise us).

There's also the embarrassment of badly behaved British tourists. Just been in Migros supermarket were there was a bunch of lobster-pink middle-aged Scouse women shouting between the aisles. Including this exchange: "Do we need 'nanas?" "'Nanas?" "'Nanas in pyjamas." Then they all started chanting: "'Nanas in pyjamas." The locals were not exactly charmed by it. Imagine having to put up with that day in day out. No wonder they have no problem ripping us off.
They won't leave you alone unfortunately :lol: The only way you can get left alone is once you get to know other Turks and they see you with them then they won't hassle you and the prices quarter.

Just back from Istanbul.
Used only TL.
The amount the average holiday maker spends makes the diff between spending euros and TL negligible.

Who is we ? You seem like a decent poster but so does @Polski Mackem . I had the misfortune to bump into him in a bar in Cyprus. He is anything but decent. He drinks cocktails ffs.
To be fair I drink most things with alcohol in them ..... just the Keo is shit and Long Island Iced Teas were getting me off my tits twice as quick. I'm sure you were on the lemonade that night Mr. Bone.

To be fair I drink most things with alcohol in them ..... just the Keo is shit and Long Island Iced Teas were getting me off my tits twice as quick. I'm sure you were on the lemonade that night Mr. Bone.
How are you doing mate ? I know you are well travelled but Haway admit it, meeting me must be the highlight of your travels.

How are you doing mate ? I know you are well travelled but Haway admit it, meeting me must be the highlight of your travels.
Highlight? Yes marra. . it's up there with the Bowie months, shaking hands with Clinton, biting Linda Lusardi's arse and standing on Jim Davidson's foot. Do you feel blessed?

I was in Icemeler & was told not to take Euros. Took some Lira, exchange pounds over there for a better rate.
Plenty of places to change money over in Icmeler ? Going on the 16th June the rate has dropped to 7tl to the quid now was 7.5 just a week or so ago

Back