Fethiye Turkey.

T_Bone

Striker
I’m going to be staying about ten miles away. Is it worth going into to visit ?
Do you need lira or does everyone accept euros ?
Thanks.

Take some Lira but not much. Inflation is so rampant that you will get a better rate each day if you take Sterling notes (not tatty ones). Don't bother with Euro on that side, best off with Lira.

When are you going? I will be there in a few weeks. I bumped into @Brian Griffin last year in Side harbour.

Last edited:
I’m going to be staying about ten miles away. Is it worth going into to visit ?
Do you need lira or does everyone accept euros ?
Thanks.
Yes fethiye is a canny Turkish town.
Go down the fish market but some fish and get one of the restaurants around it to cook it for you with bread and salad for a couple of quid.
.Dolmas run from the mosque, get one out to saklikent gorge for pence (cheaper than a tour ) .
Get a cheap boat trip from the harbour, swim in a few bays, was all day for £10 with lunch.
There's a big market down there too forget what day..
Some nice restaurants along the front the stuffed squid was first class.

It’s a nice coastal town and has some decent restaurants along the promenade. The boat trips are canny and there are loads to choose from, I’d recommend a smaller boat if you have a group of 6+ as you can hire it for yourselves for the entire day

Calis beach along the coast is nice too although most of it is a pebble beach rather than sand.

Oluduniz on the other side of the mountain has an incredible beach but is a lot more expensive and some it is private for the hotels there

Olu Deniz is nice if you're over that way. It's got a stunning beach and the blue lagoon behind it. You can paraglide off the mountain onto the beach.

If you can get on boat trip to Butterfly Valley then go as it is stunning. I loved it there.

Kayakoy is worth a visit too. It's an abandoned town from the Greek/Turkish population exchange in the 1920's. If you read Birds Without Wings by Louis de Bernières first, you'll find it really moving.

I liked wandering around St Nicholas island too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes fethiye is a canny Turkish town.
Go down the fish market but some fish and get one of the restaurants around it to cook it for you with bread and salad for a couple of quid.
.Dolmas run from the mosque, get one out to saklikent gorge for pence (cheaper than a tour ) .
Get a cheap boat trip from the harbour, swim in a few bays, was all day for £10 with lunch.
There's a big market down there too forget what day..
Some nice restaurants along the front the stuffed squid was first class.
The market is Tuesday it’s in a massive tent and a bit of a nightmare.

Take some Lira but not much. Inflation is so rampant that you will get a better rate each day if you take Sterling notes (not tatty ones). Don't bother with Euro on that side, best off with Lira.

When are you going? I will be there in a few weeks. I bumped into @Brian Griffin last year in Side harbour.
Four weeks time.

Four weeks time.

I'm just along the coast at the minute. Been in Turkey two months, got one month to go.

In our two months here, we've seen the exchange rate go from 7 lira to the pound up to 8.2 and back down to 7.7. The pound's current weakness isn't helping. Dollars have been far more useful (it's the currency I'm paid in, which helps).

Inflation has been noticeable. Restaurant menus tend to have the prices Tipexed out and Biroed in. All the food prices have gone up while we've been here.

Last edited:
Four weeks time.
I've got some holiday around then, toss up between driving to the continent and a flight into dalaman..just seen a flight £189 from Manchester.
Try this place, been going since the lad opened, Canny place and good grub if popularity hasn't spoiled it
Mozaik Bahce, Fethiye - Restaurant Reviews, Photos & Phone Number - TripAdvisor

The market is Tuesday it’s in a massive tent and a bit of a nightmare.
By Jackie whites standards aye but ive been in worse places and its a good place to get my schnide lacoste polo's cheap. ;)

Last edited:
Fethiye is a great place. Good night out, it’s not a resort, it’s a Turkish town but we were made so welcome. A street of a few bars with bands on at night, definitely go!

Back