Feeling repellent watching the Band Aid vids

Status
Not open for further replies.

I’m not sure whether the OP believes himself to be repellent whilst watching videos or is trying to say that he is repelled by watching them.

To be honest after reading the post again a few times I’m still confused - apart from the observation that those participating in a charity event in 1985 are now a lot older and that there’s a suspicion that some of them might not have been genuine because they’re fat, successful and overconfident.

But they raised a bit of dosh.

Its odd isn’t it. The original Band Aid was the first single I ever bought. There was a feeling of charity, collectivism without cynicism or egotism, or so it seemed through my 11 year old eyes.

I watch it now and I feel conflicted, part nostalgia, part anger, part amusement. The world has changed so very much. Probably the aging process, seeing a lot them grow into bloated, blowhard egomaniacs with questionable morals around areas like taxation does make you wonder whether the original intentions were entirely altruistic.

You live and you learn I guess. The world and its power structures are very different these days, the richest 1% didn’t own nearly half the worlds wealth back in the 80’s.

Fairly Tale of New York is a far better tune anyway :)
You have joined us better late than never, welcome to cynical old men's club

I’m not sure whether the OP believes himself to be repellent whilst watching videos or is trying to say that he is repelled by watching them.

To be honest after reading the post again a few times I’m still confused - apart from the observation that those participating in a charity event in 1985 are now a lot older and that there’s a suspicion that some of them might not have been genuine because they’re fat, successful and overconfident.

But they raised a bit of dosh.
:lol: If you’d seen how pissed I was when I wrote it it’s a miracle I successfully posted anything!

Amongst the inebriated gibberish I think I was reflecting on a global political system that’s so unequal that it impoverishes people to the point of starvation. Of course it was phenomenal what Band Aid achieved, it’s just wrong that the masses should have to put their hands in their pockets in the first place.

I also have major issues with the hypocrisy of the likes of Geldof, Bono and Collins and the efforts they’ve gone to to avoid paying tax.

:lol: If you’d seen how pissed I was when I wrote it it’s a miracle I successfully posted anything!

Amongst the inebriated gibberish I think I was reflecting on a global political system that’s so unequal that it impoverishes people to the point of starvation. Of course it was phenomenal what Band Aid achieved, it’s just wrong that the masses should have to put their hands in their pockets in the first place.

I also have major issues with the hypocrisy of the likes of Geldof, Bono and Collins and the efforts they’ve gone to to avoid paying tax.

I think you're still pissed. There's not much logic in that post.

I know it is for a good cause but there is something bad about rich people giving you the guilt treatment.

Someone summed it up for me when they said its like having one ice cream in your freezer and being persuaded to give it away by someone who has 1000 in theirs but wont give any away.

Amongst the inebriated gibberish I think I was reflecting on a global political system that’s so unequal that it impoverishes peoplUe to the point of starvation. Of course it was phenomenal what Band Aid achieved, it’s just wrong that the masses should have to put their hands in their pockets in the first place.

Used to do that collection for charities where you put the envelope through neighbours doors then collected a week later, the pensioner and students always gave more than the middle class couples the rule was the better the car the less they gave or nothing at all

Its odd isn’t it. The original Band Aid was the first single I ever bought. There was a feeling of charity, collectivism without cynicism or egotism, or so it seemed through my 11 year old eyes.

I watch it now and I feel conflicted, part nostalgia, part anger, part amusement. The world has changed so very much. Probably the aging process, seeing a lot them grow into bloated, blowhard egomaniacs with questionable morals around areas like taxation does make you wonder whether the original intentions were entirely altruistic.

You live and you learn I guess. The world and its power structures are very different these days, the richest 1% didn’t own nearly half the worlds wealth back in the 80’s.

I was about 8 when the original came out. All those African kids crying, covered with flies, starving hungry was shocking. It was immense seeing Geldof getting the gang together to sort it out while politicians flapped their gums and little else.

It was like the world had come together. Looking back it's like watching prehistoric virtue seeking.
Sting and Bono really getting into it!

Large sums of money have a habit of evaporating. No doubt vast amounts went on guns, drugs, prozzies, gambling, cheap cider etc.

But we're still talking millions of pounds of food, investment, education, sanitation and helping to reverse the brutal legacy of f***ing up their agriculture to grow cheap coffee.

Last edited:

They were just a front to raise money using their status in pop music
Don't think any of them pretended to be Mother Teresa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back