Feeling repellent watching the Band Aid vids

I read after the death of george michael, that wham gave all the royalty's from last christmas (the highest selling record to not reach no.1) to band aid too - which goes against the virtue shit on their part...
Came No 2 to Do They Know It's Christmas iirc.

Details are a bit fuzzy on the royalties but I don't doubt it. George Michael gave a hell of a lot to charity in his lifetime.

Came No 2 to Do They Know It's Christmas iirc.

Details are a bit fuzzy on the royalties but I don't doubt it. George Michael gave a hell of a lot to charity in his lifetime.
Does his (& Elton’s) work for Aids charities get the same kind of criticism and sniping as the raising money for Africa?

Ethiopia is doing ok for itself now from what I read. They’re planning a hydroelectric dam I think.

Historically Ethiopia/Abyssinia was a relatively prosperous country.

From wiki:

The nation is a land of natural contrasts, with its vast fertile west, its forests, and numerous rivers, and the world's hottest settlement of Dallol in its north.
The country has since recovered and now has the largest economy (by GDP) in East Africa, having the largest population in the region.[23][24][25]

The famine was caused by war. People couldn't move away from the areas worst affected by drought, and food aid couldn't get through or was appropriated by the soldiers.

The worst of Band Aid was hearing pampered pop stars banging on about: "Give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, you feed him for life." Rural Ethiopians know more about living off the land than we could ever know. But you can't fish if the lake's dried up; and you can't grow crops if there's been no rain for two years.

Do they even celebrate Christmas in Ethiopia :confused:

Yes. Christianity is indigenous to large parts of Ethiopia. When we were having William of Calais and the Normans build Durham Cathedral, Ethiopians were carving their own churches out of solid rock.

Logon or register to see this image

Last edited:

Back