Feeling repellent watching the Band Aid vids

Discussion in 'SMB' started by Helmerroids, Dec 8, 2018.

1. Helmerroids

Helmerroids Midfield

Its odd isn’t it. The original Band Aid was the first single I ever bought. There was a feeling of charity, collectivism without cynicism or egotism, or so it seemed through my 11 year old eyes.

I watch it now and I feel conflicted, part nostalgia, part anger, part amusement. The world has changed so very much. Probably the aging process, seeing a lot them grow into bloated, blowhard egomaniacs with questionable morals around areas like taxation does make you wonder whether the original intentions were entirely altruistic.

You live and you learn I guess. The world and its power structures are very different these days, the richest 1% didn’t own nearly half the worlds wealth back in the 80’s.

Fairly Tale of New York is a far better tune anyway :)

2. What A Waster

What A Waster Winger

Band Aid 20 was the best version anyway, with Dizze Rascal on.
    Better than the original and the 88 version

3. errant

errant Striker

Not if you wind the clock back to the moment that the original phone calls were made, and disregard all the following history & events...

4. 88 version was the best like.

5. HABA87

HABA87 Winger

The 88 version is so unbelievably chod it's actually amazing.

Idlewild Mackem and Bishop Boy like this.
  6. Ethiopia is doing ok for itself now from what I read. They’re planning a hydroelectric dam I think.

Historically Ethiopia/Abyssinia was a relatively prosperous country.

From wiki:

The nation is a land of natural contrasts, with its vast fertile west, its forests, and numerous rivers, and the world's hottest settlement of Dallol in its north.
    The country has since recovered and now has the largest economy (by GDP) in East Africa, having the largest population in the region.[23][24][25]

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
    HellsBells likes this.
  7. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Winger

Original was best - Viva Woh Oh Oh let them know it's Christmas time, Viva Woh Oh Oh.

8. houst69

houst69 Striker

Great news

Stevie Freestein II likes this.
  9. Well done sir bob.

Give a man a fish and he can eat for a day.

Give a man a hydroelectric dam and he can eat fish all week and then watch telly.

Rob, Manuel, Yankee Mackem and 19 others like this.
  10. Mr Redknapp

Mr Redknapp Striker

I know it is for a good cause but there is something bad about rich people giving you the guilt treatment.

11. riffraff

riffraff Striker

Worked doing a blokes office in Islington who’d grown up shuttling between Ethiopia and private school in the U.K. in the 50s. He reckoned it was a helluva place with Hollywood jet set types holidaying there and all that jazz back then. Farming methods and crops going back centuries were altered to suit western demands by a loony govt which couldn’t withstand weather extremities and it all turned to shite.
    Have a listen to some of the ethio musique jazz cd series they’re great. The instrumentals are superb imho as I’m not a fan of lyrics I don’t understand the meaning of. The main man went to engineering college in Llandudno in the early 60s and lodged with an ex workmates mam and dads b&b back then. He saw the Beatles and gave up engineering for music! Can. Bollocks remember his name

12. Geronimo

Geronimo Striker

[​IMG]

13. A lad at work has been to Ethiopia and he took his guitar so I’ll ask if he knows him.

14. Do they even celebrate Christmas in Ethiopia :confused:

Bishop Boy likes this.
  15. Mulatu Astatke? He's yer ethio-jazz man.

16. jackynutmeg

jackynutmeg Winger

Aye...those millionaire pop stars gave up their own spare time to record a song

17. Mostly Christian.

18. Lord Alfred

Lord Alfred Striker

I do like a bit of Jazz.

19. What A Waster

What A Waster Winger

Sales from that song raised £8m in 12 months. That's phenomenal for 1984/85.

20. Charmless Man

Charmless Man Striker

Well that was the question, wasn’t it? “Do they know it’s Christmas time at all?”

Always comes off a bit arrogant.

Idlewild Mackem likes this.