Favourite DJ's from your youth?

Paul Van Dyk
John O Callaghan
Dave The Rave
John Askew
Eric Prydz
The Bag Man

Love Askew like! His open to close sets are insanely good! Saw him do one at Luminosity and in Manchester and a couple of years ago and they were both off the scale! Brilliant producer as well!

Not a massive fan of JOC these days. Very hit and miss although he used to be unreal back in the day.

PVD my all time favourite.

Last edited:

Alan Partridge
Smashie & Nicey.

As a teenager in the 1960's I have to say that all DJ's were idiots who talked over the start and end of the records so you couldn't tape the whole song.

Love Askew like! His open to close sets are insanely good! Saw him do one at Luminosity and in Manchester and a couple of years ago and they were both off the scale! Brilliant producer as well!

Not a massive fan of JOC these days. Very hit and miss although he used to be unreal back in the day.

PVD my all time favourite.
I can remember when I saw Kasey Palmer that lad who plays for Coventry in the bunker at Trancecoda in Birmingham for John Askew open to close.

I would agree with JOC as well, he's a proper fanny nowadays, although his Riverside tune from 2023 is one of his all time best.

I can remember when I saw Kasey Palmer that lad who plays for Coventry in the bunker at Trancecoda in Birmingham for John Askew open to close.

I would agree with JOC as well, he's a proper fanny nowadays, although his Riverside tune from 2023 is one of his all time best.

Can’t remember seeing Kasey Palmer when we were there like mate?!! 😉 Seen him a few times since like! 🤣

Mind you you couldn’t see a bloody thing in that bunker was pitch black if you remember? 🤣

Wasn't in my youth, but i took a liking to Jonnie Walker's drive time in the early evening. Used to catch it for a spell driving back from a regular job near Corbridge.

Means 2 very different things to me

1 - People what present radio shows. For me, nobody touched the Mark & Lard show, it was just lightening in a bottle
2 - Playing live music for people, such as in a club. Probably couldn't look past Carl Cox for that one

If we're talking radio DJs, 'Woo' Gary Davies played a lot of decent stuff actually, knew his onions when it came to dance music.
Nicky Brown on Metro Radio was great and played a lot of 12" mixes on his show which you never really heard on commercial radio.
Janice Long because I heard 'Thieves Like Us' by New Order for the first time on her show.
From the modern day I really like Shaun Keavney.

As for club DJs I wasn't really a youth anymore but ones I saw play in clubs/bars that were great were...
Marshall Jefferson, Felix da Housecat, Jon Marsh, Arthur Baker, Ralph Lawson, Jose Padilla, DJ Pippi, Graeme Park, Terry Farley, DJ Huey (bananas priority), Miss Kittin... the list could go on if I could remember that far back :confused:

Last edited:

Back