Fans of the model, metrics

I think you are kidding yourself there mate. If Short hadn't paid of the debt what do you think would have happened. We were already skint as a Premier League club and then a Championship club when he stopped bankrolling us. Even Donald and Methven said there was no way they'd have got involved without us having the debt taken off the books. We were damned lucky that Short could afford to write off £140m like that. You ask any of the US based fans who have been out with Ellis since he sold the club and you'll find out just how screwed we were. (psssh re-writing history my arse)
That's the key, Short paid off the debt, if he hadn't we'd have gone bust. What possesed him to do that I don't know, considering the losses he incurred over the years, and the abuse he got at times. It must have cost him several hundred million, and I do remember reading that owning SAFC reduced him to being a common old multi-millionaire, rather thah a billionaire. The chances of a hard headed business man doing that are vanishingly small, he must love the club.
That's the key, Short paid off the debt, if he hadn't we'd have gone bust. What possesed him to do that I don't know, considering the losses he incurred over the years, and the abuse he got at times. It must have cost him several hundred million, and I do remember reading that owning SAFC reduced him to being a common old multi-millionaire, rather thah a billionaire. The chances of a hard headed business man doing that are vanishingly small, he must love the club.

Going to reply together.

He did though that's the thing,if he didn't pay it off we'd be fucked but there's no benefit of him doing it as he'd get nothing from it anyway since it was mostly owed to him. The reputational damage for him for doing it though would be a nightmare.

Mind and this is a dodgy outlook, if he did put it into administration (the club would never be liquidated) then we could've got better owners than the chuckle brothers. Pretty much all the big clubs who have gone bust have bounced back; Leeds, Southampton etc. The only exception was Rangers but that was because of an admin cockup. It wouldn't have been the end of the world, the 3 years after were as shit as it could get regardless.

Last edited:

Ah, here comes the typing bollocks trying to sound intelligent posts. This post reminds me why I try and ignore you

You're such a pleasant chap. We've agreed on a couple of occasions that there is no common ground to be had and yet you continue to try and have a dig, it's odd.

Aw come on. I’m looking for you to validate your opinion of our striking prowess in comparison to that of the rest of the league.
I’m not, I’ve regularly said they’re not up to it. I asked whether the other 23 sides all had a good striker. I don’t know the answer. They may do they may not (except Boro who I know don’t through my mate). Again, I think you think I’m arguing something that I’m not.

Last edited:
Seems like there is an influx of people on here defending the “model” and the club in general at the moment. Even defending the BC decorating and lack of experienced striker situation, stating we are in a better place than the clubs above us because of the model.

I’m happy to be proved wrong but in my head for the model to work we need to see continual improvement on the pitch as well as in the pocket.

So next season when we loose a few of our best assets I’m assuming the players we have recently got in will end up taking their place and doing better than them in order for us to progress?

So when Clarke, Neil, and maybe a couple more are sold the people slotting in improve us and we finish higher up the table.

Is this the metric we monitor the success of the model? Not being provocative, I just not fully clear as to how we judge the model successful?
There are far more people slating the 'model'
I don't think there is anyone who depends the bcb.
Surely you can understand that some people don't mind how things have gone on the pitch since KLD took over and are quite happy with who we have in the squad?

I just not fully clear as to how we judge the model successful?
I think it’s quite clear. Have we improved from when they took over. Unequivocally yes. If we don’t improve from here onwards, that success would make way for a period of failure.

How do people judge Ellis Short? Genuinely had some argue it was good as we got to a Cup Final and beat Newcastle with 10 successive PL seasons.

Personally I think he was a disastrous failure as we ended up in L1.

Aw come on. I’m looking for you to validate your opinion of our striking prowess in comparison to that of the rest of the league.
We got 4 forwards in the summer.
They aren't good enough for a team wanting to get promoted.
Poor transfers, it happens. It's not the first time we've bought players who just aren't good enough.
If every team has better strikers than us though, some must have f***ing shite everywhere else.
And if you think every other team in the league has far better strikers, then we must have done pretty well in transfers in all other departments, seeing as we finished above all but 5 teams last season and are top half ATM.
I think it’s quite clear. Have we improved from when they took over. Unequivocally yes. If we don’t improve from here onwards, that success would make way for a period of failure.

How do people judge Ellis Short? Genuinely had some argue it was good as we got to a Cup Final and beat Newcastle with 10 successive PL seasons.

Personally I think he was a disastrous failure as we ended up in L1.
It's obviously the best metric
It won't be all upwards , sometimes you have to go back, you can't improve every single season otherwise in 26 seasons we would be top of the premier league.
And beale will probably be a step back - can they learn from it? I f***ing hope so - but they've got so much right on the pitch in the short time they've been here I think they deserve our support - and not Karen like fits after every defeat for another striker or an experienced player.

If anyone on this board was in charge I would bet all my money that we would be skint and nowhere near as good as we are.

Last edited:
You're such a pleasant chap. We've agreed on a couple of occasions that there is no common ground to be had and yet you continue to try and have a dig, it's odd.
Yeah the 5 or 10 posts over a year we have exchanged views on really shows me continuing to have a dig

We got 4 forwards in the summer.
They aren't good enough for a team wanting to get promoted.
Poor transfers, it happens. It's not the first time we've bought players who just aren't good enough.
If every team has better strikers than us though, some must have f***ing shite everywhere else.
And if you think every other team in the league has far better strikers, then we must have done pretty well in transfers in all other departments, seeing as we finished above all but 5 teams last season and are top half ATM.

It's obviously the best metric
It won't be all upwards , sometimes you have to go back, you can't improve every single season otherwise in 26 seasons we would be top of the premier league.
And beale will probably be a step back - can they learn from it? I f***ing hope so - but they've got so much right on the pitch in the short time they've been here I think they deserve our support - and not Karen like fits after every defeat for another striker or an experienced player.

If anyone on this board was in charge I would bet all my money that we would be skint and nowhere near as good as we are.
Yep. First sign of slight stagnation (not even full blown crisis) and some want to rip it up. You can’t get every window right nor improve every single year. Also, we could literally finish 5th too

Back