"Fake" beers.

In its bottle cold its fine ,I've no idea what indian restaurant do with any of their draft beers but they're rank

yeah,wasn't sure if that was a term in this "I was born here " era .You're either British or not

My point is that Cobra was founded by two blokes with very Indian names so it’s a bit unfair to say that it’s a fake Indian beer IMO even if they’re British born

In its bottle cold its fine ,I've no idea what indian restaurant do with any of their draft beers but they're rank
It’s piss water. I drank gallons of it when I was in India but it was still piss water. My first proper beer when I got home was like nectar of the Gods in comparison!

The 7% ABV Kingfisher Blue is even worse, it’s like they just bung a load of sugar in to up the alcohol!

Last edited:
As in supermarket own brands. Anyone like any of them? I quite like the St Etienne lager that Aldi do. Tastes like a proper French beer, which tbf it probably is. Anyone know who brews it....i have a vague recollection of tasting something similar in the Brittany area.

I tried this and thought it was decent. Not enough for me to stop buying my usual Heverlee stuff like.. But wouldn't turn it down.

My point is that Cobra was founded by two blokes with very Indian names so it’s a bit unfair to say that it’s a fake Indian beer IMO even if they’re British born
So a beer legitimately belongs to a country because the blokes have names sounding like they're from that country ? reeto :lol:.It was conceived to give the impression it originated from somewhere ,the taste ,the look was all made up to a brief .Ie Fake

It’s piss water. I drank gallons of it when I was in India but it was still piss water. My first proper beer when I got home was like nectar of the Gods in comparison!

The 7% ABV Kingfisher Blue is even worse, it’s like they just bung a load of sugar in to up the alcohol!
Had the odd 2 or 3 on these supermarket deals for the house and enjoyed them ,its the right end of 4 on the abv etc ,beats the carling foster fodder by a good way .Awful in Indians though ,flat and tasteless

Last edited:
For the record. When Cobra was first brewed, it was brewed in India and imported. But it was a British entrepreneur who had it brewed, and specifically for the British market

Didnt last long though.

Had the odd 2 or 3 on these supermarket deals for the house and enjoyed them ,its the right end of 4 on the abv etc ,beats the carling foster fodder by a good way .Awful in Indians though ,flat and tasteless
So you are comparing slightly less pissy piss water to actual pisswater.

So a beer legitimately belongs to a country because the blokes have names sounding like they're from that country ? reeto :lol:.It was conceived to give the impression it originated from somewhere ,the taste ,the look was all made up to a brief .Ie Fake

Well it was founded by a bloke born in Hyderabad and it was first brewed in Bangalore, does that make it Indian enough?

So you are comparing slightly less pissy piss water to actual pisswater.
In your pisswater world I suppose I am

Well it was founded by a bloke born in Hyderabad and it was first brewed in Bangalore, does that make it Indian enough?
Nah,its a made up beer with no heritage whatsoever .The guy was living here ,thought it up and only brewed it elsewhere for coast and connections . Like saying Dr martins are a Chinese shoe

Last edited:
Cobra is a true fake beer
Invented not so long ago by British people to sound Indian and sell in curry houses
Aye? Every day's a school day. Nice one.

It can actually be between 3.8-4.5%. All depends on what happens whilst it’s brewing.
It's only 180 calories per pint iirc. That'll mostly be the bubbles.

TBF the “real” Indian beer is Kingfisher and it’s shite!
It's the same as most other beers. Okay in their natural environment. I stopped in a hotel next to the Kingfisher bloke's house on the beach in Goa. Suffice to say he must have sold a canny few bottles, the gaff was huge. :lol:

Last edited:
Aye? Every day's a school day. Nice one.

It's only 180 calories per pint iirc. That'll mostly be the bubbles.

It's the same as most other beers. Okay in their natural environment. I stopped in a hotel next to the Kingfisher bloke's house on the beach in Goa. Suffice to say he must have sold a canny few bottles, the gaff was huge. :lol:
He pretty much has a monopoly on the beer market over there.
I was sent to Chennai for work back in February, I had read up on Indian beers and had a list I wanted to try. It turns out that anywhere other than Hyderabad it’s nigh on impossible to get anything other than Kingfisher. It’s everywhere!

I was sent to Chennai for work back in February, I had read up on Indian beers and had a list I wanted to try. It turns out that anywhere other than Hyderabad it’s nigh on impossible to get anything other than Kingfisher. It’s everywhere!
Some of the bottles looked about 20 years old, with original labels when I was there. :lol:

As in supermarket own brands. Anyone like any of them? I quite like the St Etienne lager that Aldi do. Tastes like a proper French beer, which tbf it probably is. Anyone know who brews it....i have a vague recollection of tasting something similar in the Brittany area.
The aldi black and white cans are decent!!! Steinhouse maybe? Is that it?
(((Although you could get a propper make cheaper if it was on offer at tesco / morrisons)))

I had a Dortmunder Pilsner in Asda, which is actually brewed in France, and it was pretty decent for the price.
Dortmunder is a legit German lager? That odd 1980s hotel in South Shields opposite the fish quay used to serve it and charge nearly £5 a pint. Mint drop mind

Cobra is a true fake beer
Invented not so long ago by British people to sound Indian and sell in curry houses
Its a toss up which is more tasteless, Cobra or Tiger

Both on par with Carling / Fosters / Carlsberg

Last edited:
The aldi black and white cans are decent!!! Steinhouse maybe? Is that it?
(((Although you could get a propper make cheaper if it was on offer at tesco / morrisons)))

Dortmunder is a legit German lager? That odd 1980s hotel in South Shields opposite the fish quay used to serve it and charge nearly £5 a pint. Mint drop mind

Its a toss up which is more tasteless, Cobra or Tiger

Both on par with Carling / Fosters / Carlsberg
Tiger has the bite of European stuff
Cobra is like cooking oil

In Little Indian in Singapore they serve 5000 , 7000 and 10000 as in 5%, 7% and 10%. Never seen that anywhere else and my Indian mate hasn't seen it either. I usually go for a Kingfisher in Little India.

Hadn't seen that ratemybeer site before but look what I found:
RateBeer

Last edited by a moderator:

Back