"Fake" beers.

I was thinking the reverse....they don't taste quite the same when brewed in a different country, although a relative of mine who runs a micro brewery in one of his pubs reckons you can make them all but identical wherever they're brewed.

I live in Cz mate :lol: staropramen and budvar are the equivalent of fosters and carling

As in supermarket own brands. Anyone like any of them? I quite like the St Etienne lager that Aldi do. Tastes like a proper French beer, which tbf it probably is. Anyone know who brews it....i have a vague recollection of tasting something similar in the Brittany area.
I've never been let down by any of the supermarkets lagers that come in stubby bottles.

They're brilliant.

No mention of Lidl Galeruex yet. Nearest thing you'll get to Stella

I prefer the perlenbacher but do drink Galereux occasionally. Not my favourite but cheap as owt.

I've never been let down by any of the supermarkets lagers that come in stubby bottles.

They're brilliant.

Always fill the garage with them at Christmas so I can offer guests a cheap drink. I don't get many guests like. :lol:

Last edited:
It's not 'fake' but the french lager 'Champigneueles' at Asda is class. 5.4% or so and cheap as owt.

I then got the M&S 'French Lager' in cans, far more expensive. Thought 'this tastes just the same as that stuff from Asda' and noticed 'brewed in Champigneueles' on the can, only it was 4% instead.

I was thinking the reverse....they don't taste quite the same when brewed in a different country, although a relative of mine who runs a micro brewery in one of his pubs reckons you can make them all but identical wherever they're brewed.

Dont know about all of them, but Estrella lager brewed here is not the same as you get in Spain.... it's got a much weaker ABV for a start.

Asda’s Milk Stout is canny (£1.25 for 330ml), as is Lidl’s American Pale Ale (99p for 330ml). Sainsbury’s stout (preferred Asda one though) was canny but seems to have been discontinued (bought a load for 63p a can a couple of weeks ago) and the space on the shelf now contains a new mango IPA which I’m yet to try.

Aldi do a few of their own craft ales but are mainly £1.29 for 330ml and none struck me as worth it when you can get 8 good branded cans from Tesco for £9.

The options seem to be expanding though and I’ll try any and judge on their own merits. Mostly all brewed by a recognised brewer anyway.

Back