Facebook Marketplace

Not all of us are minted business overlords sadly so a few extra quid sometimes helps

I'd probably not bother selling something for a fiver though, or even a tenner like

£20 probably feeds me for a few days however
Most hassle we had was selling the kids old toys - people want owt for nowt.

The scammers are funny though

We once advertised a 3 piece on there 3 seater two seater and chair and a woman quite elderly messaged to say could she come and have a look

We agreed and she turned up walking up the street as agreed at 3pm came in and must of been in her 70s, turned out she had got the bus from shields through to Houghton

She looked around it and then just said no its not for her and off she went to get the bus back to Shields
Oh what you didn't offer her a lift? She seems genuine and nice

Stand by for "would you swap for a bouncy castle and a parrot?"
Once listed a top of the range Samsung tv on gumtree. One lad wanted to swap it for a load of fishing gear and another lad had a row with me cos i said £300 was my lowest price and he only wanted to pay £200 cos he could get a brand new bush from Argos for £250. 🙄

I sell loads too, you get to develop a feeling after a while of who’s being genuine and who’s trying to scam you. Everything I send over £20 goes signed for, even for less valuable items you get a number you can search and it tells you if it’s been delivered or not. The other day some bloke messaged to say his parcel hadn’t arrived. I proved the number and said Royal Mail says it’s delivered, he came back right away with dirty mate, I missed it, it’s here - obvs trying a scam
Once somebody starts asking too many questions or mentions that they have bought fakes on ebay I just block them, it's 50/50 of they are genuine but like you say you get a feeling and I'd say I've been pretty lucky so far. New authentication schemes a bit of a joke though, ebay claim buyers can't try in a shoe otherwise it's then classed as used, no idea how they think people will know if they fit or not.

Used it loads
Just sold a strat for a lad at work
Quiet at first then and messaged 3 messages ,24 hours and it was gone . Its free ,stay local ,ignore some people . Doddle

I saw this on there the other day. Heavy relic...it's in half and has no pick ups 😄

Logon or register to see this image

I've just had another look and there's a Fender Dreadnought acoustic for only £50. I think I might have changed my mind

……..
One of the scams is people saying they are sending couriers to pick things up but they never pay you for the stuff
I had that but refused. So how does this scam work? The bloke wanted it sent FedEx and then he’d pay. Is it I send t then he doesn’t pay? But then I know his address so how does he win?
I’d be a shite scammer as I can’t even work out how to do it😀

Just had another dickhead on. He messaged me showing interest and then 20 minutes later he 'already had one lined up'. What do people get out of doing it?
I had that but refused. So how does this scam work? The bloke wanted it sent FedEx and then he’d pay. Is it I send t then he doesn’t pay? But then I know his address so how does he win?
Most of the scammers are as thick as fuck TBF. If they are lucky they might just end up in a jail cell. Otherwise they might get a good kicking.

Last edited:

I think the scam is that at the very end of your conversation they then say you need to pay for postage insurance which the courier will pay that back in cash. They send you a link to pay £2 or whatever amount. I guess the idea is that some people think as they are so close to selling the item they just fill out the form. Scam being that you have just given them your card details.

Basically if anybody ever asks you to click on any link just block them.

Last edited:
I think the scam is that at the very end of your conversation they then say you need to pay for postage insurance which the courier will pay that back in cash. They send you a link to pay £2 or whatever amount. I guess the idea is that some people think as they are so close to selling the item they just fill out the form. Scam being that you have just given them your card details.

Basically if anybody ever asks you to click on any link just block them.
Why would you pay the insurance for their item? Who'd be daft enough to fall for that one?

Sold a Mac mini on it today , stipulated collection only , yet got loads of enquiries from various African buyers ?? Blocked em all . What is their scam ? How are they gonna make money ?

I've got a large off road mobility scooter and trailer advertised at the minute. This bloke from Nottingham got in touch and said he was interested. I said I would meet up halfway for the diesel if it helps.

He then said I haven't got the cash at the minute unless you want to part ex it for my range rover! He then sent 8 photos and the MOT and mileage details before I could say, er thanks but no thanks 😂
Sold a Mac mini on it today , stipulated collection only , yet got loads of enquiries from various African buyers ?? Blocked em all . What is their scam ? How are they gonna make money ?
They say they are going to arrange a courier who will hand over cash and then ask you to pay insurance. Not exactly sure how much they are trying to con or if they are just phishing for card details?

Last edited:

Back