Fa cup fifth round onward replays scrapped with immediate effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gradually both cups are being whittled away in terms of games and minutes on the pitch. We understand why but it definitely takes the edge off these competitions the way they now are. 90 mins in the league cup and then straight to pens. Got to encourage the weaker side to play for a draw and take their chances. Likewise, the FA cup is now going down this route and for sure you'll get more exists of the bigger clubs as a result....which dilutes the strength and appeal of the competition. It's great having the odd minnow getting through to the latter rounds, but if that becomes the norm, people really aren't going to care too much.

I thought this was actually announced last season. Personally I think it's a f***ing disgrace.

Only a matter of time until replays are scrapped imo.
If this is the case then why don't they tilt the draw so that any team div.1 and lower left by the third round, if they are drawn against a higher league club, should be given a home draw no matter which way the tie is drawn.
On the down side this would take away the chance in a lifetime for a non league player to play at a top premier league ground.

Seed the draws according to league position, with the lower league side drawn at home.

Edit: Have an unseeded draw, but the lower ranked team is at home, irrespective of the order drawn.

I think they do that in the French equivalent of the F.A. Cup.

The only thing saving the FA Cup is the 2 semi-finals at Wembley.

Teams playing for a day out. The lucky ones get to go twice. Not sure how lucky that is mind

I think that's one of things that's killing the F.A. Cup.

The semi-finals should be on neutral grounds.

Used to love the days of 2nd & 3rd replays. Remember Sheff Wed v Arsenal going to 5 games in the late 70's

We played Newcastle in the 5th round in 1976.

It went to a second replay at Elland Road.

Almost 150,000 watched the three games.

Last edited:
FA Cup winners to go into the soon to be formed Euro League 2 in a couple of seasons time for Thursday night fun n frolics. Remember where you read it first.

I'd say this is sensible as the lower league sides who rely on games like this are generally out by this point and the Cup is dying in its current format.

I love the cup but it should probably revert to midweek with the League Cup being finished before Christmas (as in Scotland) imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back