Fa cup fifth round onward replays scrapped with immediate effect.

It is for the smaller clubs. Look at the round 3 draw where everyone was hoping we’d go through so they could play us and get enough money to see out the season.

Quite a high minded attitude to think that smaller clubs should be fucked just because they can’t win a cup.

I nivver said smaller clubs should be fucked because they can’t win a cup. You’re making that up. There’s only one winner so everyone else loses.

It’s a sport first n foremost. When the FA cup was invented in 1871 money was a byproduct and it still is. Of course small clubs benefit from windfall draws against big clubs but that’s a consequence and not the reason for existing in the first place.
In ten years time I believe the ten year total giant killing ratio will be higher than the last ten years. That to me will be a better thing than the current small club clamour and obsession with subsidising their bad business plans with lucky balls coming out of a hat.
If safc were ran wrongly ower the last ten years or so because we rang up debts then these little clubs are being ran wrongly as well if they’re in debt.

I nivver said smaller clubs should be fucked because they can’t win a cup. You’re making that up. There’s only one winner so everyone else loses.

It’s a sport first n foremost. When the FA cup was invented in 1871 money was a byproduct and it still is. Of course small clubs benefit from windfall draws against big clubs but that’s a consequence and not the reason for existing in the first place.
In ten years time I believe the ten year total giant killing ratio will be higher than the last ten years. That to me will be a better thing than the current small club clamour and obsession with subsidising their bad business plans with lucky balls coming out of a hat.
If safc were ran wrongly ower the last ten years or so because we rang up debts then these little clubs are being ran wrongly as well if they’re in debt.

I agree with you. I love the cup but wouldn't have any issues if they just scrapped all replays tbh. As you say, smaller sides often sneak a draw at home and generally you think "canny game, shame mind, they're fucked in the replay". Very rarely do they actually get through, I'd rather watch extra time and possibly penalties. Then you get the fact that the cup is massively disrespected by big sides; again you nail it, they'll have to play slightly stronger sides now that there's no possibility of a second chance.

The only down side is that some clubs will sometimes lose a pay day, but we're talking from 5th round onwards, how often does a really small (that desperately needs the money from a cup run to survive) club get to the fifth round, then get a home draw, then draw it and have a money spinning away replay? No doubt it happens, but it's pretty rare, the real minnows (sadly including our league, and certainly the ones below) are generally gone by the fifth round. I think it's a sensible decision overall

I think the way to make it interesting again is to give the winner a CL spot

I also think the use of one off retro strips/away strips at home should be promoted (ie we could wear a one off 73 inspired white away kit)

Also flat rate of £10 tickets for premier league and championship clubs

I also think the use of one off retro strips/away strips at home should be promoted (ie we could wear a one off 73 inspired white away kit)

What happens when the cup is won by one of the top 3 teams in the league? 4th place would get it

Emirates FA Cup fifth round replays removed

(No mention elsewhere on here?)

Basically to assist sides in europe/prem and feck anyone smaller.
Wish theyd leave the great competition along or better still let the ‘big clubs’ feck off out into some euro shitshow.
£ £ £.
This. The big boys want to play more European footy for the £££ so everyone else has to play less.

Used to love the days of 2nd & 3rd replays. Remember Sheff Wed v Arsenal going to 5 games in the late 70's

Bit shit for any minnows who could have a money-spinner replay like, the lower league club should be given half the takings and prize money if they get a higher level club to extra time imo, also a bit naughty changing the rules after the competition has already started, lacks respect.

Seed the draws according to league position, with the lower league side drawn at home.

Edit: Have an unseeded draw, but the lower ranked team is at home, irrespective of the order drawn.

The CL is UEFAs competition. They want consistently good teams not flash in the pan KO cup winning teams.

Seed the draws according to league position, with the lower league side drawn at home.

Edit: Have an unseeded draw, but the lower ranked team is at home, irrespective of the order drawn.
I’ve been banging on about summit like that for years. I can’t see the PL clubs having it. Ower much scope for embarrassment.

No matter how good of an idea this is, UEFA wouldn't allow it.

Don't think they'd have a say, we get the number of places that we do because of performance of English clubs in Europe, it's up to the FA how to distribute the places. If anything the pressure would be more internal, the big clubs wouldn't want the risk of small clubs getting in, performing badly and affecting the coefficient, they wouldn't want to see only 3 teams getting in!

Generally speaking mind, they could do it and it wouldn't make a jot of difference to which teams get into Europe. If they said only the winner got into the CL (if you came runner up to the Champions you didn't get in, instead it went to 4th in the league) then, looking back the last few years, how often has there been a winner from 5th or below in the Premier League? I think it would be a great move, I don't think UEFA could stop it, I just don't think there's any appetite for it amongst those in the English game

Now that's an idea I could get behind. Might get a bit messy when teams close to each other in the league are drawn against one another. But in principle its s good idea. I think it's what they do in germany in the early rounds.

Don't think they'd have a say, we get the number of places that we do because of performance of English clubs in Europe, it's up to the FA how to distribute the places. If anything the pressure would be more internal, the big clubs wouldn't want the risk of small clubs getting in, performing badly and affecting the coefficient, they wouldn't want to see only 3 teams getting in!

Generally speaking mind, they could do it and it wouldn't make a jot of difference to which teams get into Europe. If they said only the winner got into the CL (if you came runner up to the Champions you didn't get in, instead it went to 4th in the league) then, looking back the last few years, how often has there been a winner from 5th or below in the Premier League? I think it would be a great move, I don't think UEFA could stop it, I just don't think there's any appetite for it amongst those in the English game
Theyd have a say by taking one of the spots away.

Now that's an idea I could get behind. Might get a bit messy when teams close to each other in the league are drawn against one another. But in principle its s good idea. I think it's what they do in germany in the early rounds.

If they're both in the same division, then just play it as drawn. Otherwise, the team in the lower division is automatically at home.

Theyd have a say by taking one of the spots away.

They can't take a spot away though, the number of places you get are determined by the coefficients. The only way they could remove one would be if English teams started doing shit in Europe for a number of years, which wouldn't happen just because of the fa cup winner getting a place (especially since, generally, it's a team that qualifies anyway). They couldn't just say "England are second in the coefficients but they're getting 3 places, Spain at the top, Italy, Germany and France behind you get 4, we're just taking one away from England because they let the cup winner in and we don't like it"

What would help would to have all matches played on a Saturday,with only highlights to be shown on the night. The draw should then take place on Monday.
Unfortunately it will never happen.

The only thing saving the FA Cup is the 2 semi-finals at Wembley.

Teams playing for a day out. The lucky ones get to go twice. Not sure how lucky that is mind

Its uefas party they invite who they want. The FA and PL have fuck all to do with it.

Back