F1 2024

Has to be some discretion in the rules surely to allow for common sense decisions like this though. That rule is there because 99% of the time you will be gaining an advantage from going outside of track limits - this clearly wasn’t the case here.
You are right there should be, but it doesn’t mean there is
Interpretations and exceptions have not served the sport well in recent years. Decide the rule- consider or write in the exception circumstances then stick to it.
This is the key thing, will be interesting to know what the rules say

Yeah my only argument is what the rules say. Can stewards choose to overrule the rules and simply add the lap back in
For them to reinstate the lap there will be definitely something in the rules that state you have to gain an advantage. They wouldn't just reinstate it because if common sense, that doesn't happen in F1 since the Hamilton/Max saga.
When Toto doesn't have any complaints with Lando's lap you know it's ok 🤣

Last edited:
That’s very controversial - so due to bad conditions they skip the rule for Norris as he got no advantage. Others can argue that instead they were slower as they didn’t take the risk that Norris did. Hmmm.
I think at least one of maxs deleted laps was for the same but his next lap wasn't deleted

I think at least one of maxs deleted laps was for the same but his next lap wasn't deleted
Interesting. I’d be happier if they wrote in “except in adverse weather conditions determined by stewards” - not that hard to write practical rules rather than choose when to apply them.

Interesting. I’d be happier if they wrote in “except in adverse weather conditions determined by stewards” - not that hard to write practical rules rather than choose when to apply them.
I don't think it's got anything to do with the weather conditions. If he went wide in the dry he would still lose a lot of time, if the rules say gaining an advantage then that would clear everything up.

It all comes down to the race directors notes. They don’t actually say anything about gaining an advantage simply if you go over the white line you lose your lap.

Crucially though what normally happens is there is an extra paragraph stating if you exceed track limits on the final corner this and your next lap are deleted. This paragraph was missing from the race directors notes. Had it been in the notes there is nothing the stewards would have been able to do.

I don't think it's got anything to do with the weather conditions. If he went wide in the dry he would still lose a lot of time, if the rules say gaining an advantage then that would clear everything up.
That leaves retrospective steward interpretation potentially still - he had the advantage of risking only one lap where others believed they were risking two. Easier for stewards to declare adverse conditions in advance and there be a specific list of rules that then don’t apply or are altered in a set way. Rain ain’t a once off unforeseen circumstance.

Point to note.

Hamilton putting that tractor anywhere near pole just shows his class as a driver. As soon as the conditions went to shit his ability shone through
Agreed, it was a cracking lap. However, if the pace in FP1 is anything to go by he'll be a complete sitting duck in the Sprint if it's dry!

Weather forecast for Sunday

SUNDAY, APRIL 21 – RACE WEATHER
Conditions:
Misty and cloudy with low clouds in the morning. Brighter sky and dry conditions likely in the afternoon. Light northerly wind.
RACE: 21/22°C.
Maximum temperature expected: 22 Celsius
Minimum temperature expected: 13 Celsius
Chance of rain: 20%

Back