F1 2021

In the end, a compromise was reached at a total payment of $450,000 (£324,000) per team - or $150,000 per qualifying race - plus an insurance scheme for compensation if teams damage expensive parts in accidents during sprint qualifying.

protected no claims F1 style

When do the cars go into parc ferme? Reading the press release it sounds like its before the qualifying for the qualifying race but then whats the point in practice 2 if you cant change your car or have I got it totally wrong.

Not sure why they need to change the rules 2 races in to what looks like a good season so far.

They're not changing the rules into a season, this was already the plan as far as I'm aware. They have 3 sprint races in the pipeline for this season. The rest of the season will run as normal.

They're not changing the rules into a season, this was already the plan as far as I'm aware. They have 3 sprint races in the pipeline for this season. The rest of the season will run as normal.
Seems a bit strange if it was agreed and the teams voted on it before the season to wait for 2 races in to announce it.

Will be interesting to see if it makes the whole weekend anymore exciting, currently I enjoy the Friday as it means I can just leave the F1 on and get work done without needing to give it my full attention, all designed for money though as they will hope to sell out the stands on Fridays with this new set up I guess.

Seems a bit strange if it was agreed and the teams voted on it before the season to wait for 2 races in to announce it.
I don’t think the fia group on f1 rules met until this morning, nothing could be official till today’s rubber stamp.
When do the cars go into parc ferme?
Covered in the commissions release...

I'll wait to see what comes of this but I'm not really onboard with it.......loads of people won't be able to watch qualy on a Friday and it's going to devalue the spectacle of the Grand Prix itself on the Sunday, in my view.
I’m willing to give it a go, but I suspect ultimately ‘less is more’ & that this will detract from the Sunday being special.

Last edited:
I dont like the idea of this new sprint race/qualifying at all it doesn't add anything to a weekend for me really the fastest cars will still get the places and points for that and the main race !

Much more in favour of making the weekend a 2 day event giving the teams less time to perfect set ups and make things a bit more unpredictable, a format of of 1 free practice, qualification and the race !

Imola last year presented those kind of problems and was a more interesting race for it !

I'm not convinced the new format will add anything in terms of excitement, particularly with the lack of reverse grids. Although it doesn't look like a problem this year, if we have another season like the Vettel years where one driver completely dominates without competition even from his teammate, it'll mean 2 boring lights to flag victories for the weekend rather than just one.

They really could have done something similar to F2, perhaps have main qualifying on Saturday morning and that decides the Sunday grid, then reverse the top 10 for the sprint race on Saturday afternoon with points for the top 6.

The only thing this format could help give us is if one of the top teams has an issue and has to start the Sunday race from way back.

Incredible end to Race 1 of the Formula E in Valencia. Anyone see it? Six drivers failed to finish, running out of energy after a safety car period and a 2 lap sprint to the finish after the drivers faced a 5kw reduction in energy.

Incredible end to Race 1 of the Formula E in Valencia. Anyone see it? Six drivers failed to finish, running out of energy after a safety car period and a 2 lap sprint to the finish after the drivers faced a 5kw reduction in energy.
Not me did not realise it was on as I was waiting for an alert from the SMB Mitotsport guru😉
Not me did not realise it was on as I was waiting for an alert from the SMB Mitotsport guru😉
That’s motorsport by the way although I fancy watching some MITOTSPORT!!!!!

Last edited:
I'm sure i am as I used watch BTCC, WRC etc but F1 is such a massive deal in world sport its kinda grabbed me. Plus I have watched F1 for years and also have films from the 30s and 40s of F1.
My main issue around the other formulae is awareness - I only find out about stuff when you post it on here so I am going to make you an offer, as the Dragons say!

Why don't you post a thread like Hank does for " Todays football" only yours will be "Todays motorsport" - it does not have to be daily, of course, maybe weekly or whatever you feel you can do.

You will be the SMB motorsport guru and your grateful public will be ..................well grateful!

@ShieldsBlackCat2015
Not a bad idea.

Chain Bear on Bottas/Russell's incident
Who died and put this fella in charge of the world he must have loads of time on his hands to do all those graphics and no lass either. I could get my lass to pop round to his and nag him to death for a few hours, he would sharp stop doing videos once his head was battered in.

don’t tell her mind!!

Last edited:
Who died and put this fella in charge of the world he must have loads of time on his hands to do all those graphics and no lass either. I could get my lass to pop round to his and nag him to death for a few hours, he would sharp stop doing videos once his head was battered in.

don’t tell her mind!!
He also didn't show Bottas' real position, over the pit exit line. Which makes a big difference imo

Briton Callum Ilott has joined Alfa Romeo as second reserve driver.

Ilott will share reserve driver duties with Robert Kubica when the Pole is unavailable as a result of his commitments in other racing categories.

If it ain’t broke don’t fix it, qualifying wasn't broken. Don’t know where this sprint race derived from but it’s crap. So if u win does a go down as a proper win or a plastic one. Need this closing down as it’s fine the way it is

If it ain’t broke don’t fix it, qualifying wasn't broken. Don’t know where this sprint race derived from but it’s crap. So if u win does a go down as a proper win or a plastic one. Need this closing down as it’s fine the way it is

They're not doing this for current fans though. They're doing it to win back old fans and attract new. People who think the sport is broken.

Back