F1 2021

18 minutes is more than enough for these guys to put in a lap and be safe. Alonso had it on the head - one shot qualifying

This.

Qualifying first thing on Friday.
Out lap, sighting lap, quali lap.

Run it in order of finishing the last race so the fast teams don't get to gather all the data from watching the other cars. You start on the tyres you used for those 3 laps.

You then have the practice sessions to fine tune the car.

Obviously never happen as it's not good for tv

Last edited:

Just a hunch on my part, but I get the impression that Jos Verstappen doesn't get on with either Helmut Marko or Christian Horner. There's definitely a lack of warmth between them, whereas the likes of Papa Smurf Button was adored wherever his son went.

Sounds like merc might try and avoid taking an engine penalty for Lewis.

Yeah, I was wondering if they might get away with it.

I was thinking Red Bull will almost certainly take theirs at Sochi, regardless of what happened in Monza, but it makes even more sense now.

Max could well still finish 3rd there so if they could get out of Monza and Sochi, two tracks that highly favour the Mercedes, with damage limitation in terms of Lewis "only" being 5 points ahead in the Championship (that would presume Lewis wins in Russia and Max finishes 3rd, so it could be more but is unlikely to be much more) I don't think it could have gone any better for Red Bull really.

The vast majority of the tracks after Sochi should definitely favour the Red Bull.

F1 has two main problems for me. The tracks being the first one - there are so many tracks where it’s nigh on impossible to overtake - Monaco, zandvoort, Singapore, etc., and they are taking over the calendar. F1 is much better on tracks where you can overtake and always will be, but the good tracks like Malaysia, Turkey are being phased out in favour of pointless Tilke tracks in the desert for money reasons.
If the new Formula Brawn works, a lot of the issues with not being able to overtake might finally be sorted. It will be great if it comes off.

This.

Qualifying first thing on Friday.
Out lap, sighting lap, quali lap.

Run it in order of finishing the last race so the fast teams don't get to gather all the data from watching the other cars. You start on the tyres you used for those 3 laps.

You then have the practice sessions to fine tune the car.

Obviously never happen as it's not good for tv
Biggest issue is when you have changeable conditions, such as a drying track, and conditions basically set the grid rather than ability. I’d be in favour of very short qualifying sessions, 5-7 minutes, so you only had time for the single flyer but everyone was on track simultaneously. Maybe think of a clever way of splitting the grid for Q1 and have 10 out at a time and each group losing a couple of cars or something (one from each team per session maybe and do a Q1A and a Q1B to reduce it to 14 cars, then Q2 takes it to 8, then finally Q3 or something, so congestion isn’t a massive issue.
If the new Formula Brawn works, a lot of the issues with not being able to overtake might finally be sorted. It will be great if it comes off.
I don’t think the changes will have an impact on a good few tracks. You just can’t overtake on a good number of them and never will be able to. Even if they introduced some Fast and Furious style NOS speed boosts or some other rubbish. Sadly the money is pushing us towards terrible tracks like Zandvoort, Mexico, Abu Dhabi, Russia and meaning we’re losing racing good tracks like Magny Cours, Turkey (only in this year as a backup), Malaysia

Last edited:
Biggest issue is when you have changeable conditions, such as a drying track, and conditions basically set the grid rather than ability. I’d be in favour of very short qualifying sessions, 5-7 minutes, so you only had time for the single flyer but everyone was on track simultaneously. Maybe think of a clever way of splitting the grid for Q1 and have 10 out at a time and each group losing a couple of cars or something (one from each team per session maybe and do a Q1A and a Q1B to reduce it to 14 cars, then Q2 takes it to 8, then finally Q3 or something, so congestion isn’t a massive issue.

I don’t think the changes will have an impact on a good few tracks. You just can’t overtake on a good number of them and never will be able to. Even if they introduced some Fast and Furious style NOS speed boosts or some other rubbish. Sadly the money is pushing us towards terrible tracks like Zandvoort, Mexico, Abu Dhabi, Russia and meaning we’re losing racing good tracks like Magny Cours, Turkey (only in this year as a backup), Malaysia
2 sessions 1 car from each team. Top 5 of each in a top 10 shout out, bottom 5 of each for 11-20. 8 minute sessions. 4 sessions in total, all drivers are in 2 of them

The Schumacher documentary is OK but full of holes. Early doors his wife Corrina implies she didn't know he would be a big superstar racing driver despite the fact he was ready in f1 and she dated Heinz Harold Frentzen.
I'm only 37 mins in but they showed Schumacher in full kit, getting out the car and looking on in disgust as Hill wins the Italian GP in 1994 to close the gap. Schumacher was banned for that race!

Last edited:
The gruesome twosome are on duty today. Shov and Valtteri, it's James.

The McLaren Unboxed this week will be insane, if Williams were filming I expect plenty of goodness there too.

2 sessions 1 car from each team. Top 5 of each in a top 10 shout out, bottom 5 of each for 11-20. 8 minute sessions. 4 sessions in total, all drivers are in 2 of them
Yep, something like that would work perfect. So long as the session timings don’t afford a second lap on a new set of tyres then that should be the aim.

Artificially creating unjust sporting advantages and deltas isn’t the way to do it though. Reverse grid races are the worst thing in the world tbh, just rewards those less successful.

I almost take umbrage with that. And what’s wrong with rewarding those less fancied? In your world you really think it acceptable that the top 2-3 teams and drivers get all the points all the time? Is it really that bad to see and begrudge a little unfancied team like Alfa Tauri, Williams, Alpine, Aston Martin or even Ferrari doing well, getting a good haul of points from a race (or getting a win now and again) in a season dominated by RBR and Mercedes?

In the world of the BTCC which heads to Croft on Sunday it has used it very successfully for many years. For Race 3 someone draws a ball with a number on it and whoever finished there in Race 2 finds himself on pole. So if it’s No 7 then the top 7 are reversed. You say it rewards the less successful but that’s a very negative way of looking at it. It is more like levelling the playing field. Gives the less fancied teams who don’t normally find themselves high up anywhere in races, qualifying or even FP a chance to get some points and even win. They never see the front end of a race let alone anything else much. Why begrudge an underdog a brief taste of success?

F1 has two main problems for me. The tracks being the first one - there are so many tracks where it’s nigh on impossible to overtake - Monaco, zandvoort, Singapore, etc., and they are taking over the calendar. F1 is much better on tracks where you can overtake and always will be, but the good tracks like Malaysia, Turkey are being phased out in favour of pointless Tilke tracks in the desert for money reasons.

If only it were as simple as that. There’s no passing because F1 almost doesn’t seem to allow it. Close racing contests everywhere from lights to flag. You practically get penalised for anything deemed remotely risky to challenge anyone.

The second is qualifying. If you put the cars in pace order, how can you then expect much overtaking to happen? It’s been said many times, you spend Saturday putting the cars from fastest to slowest then complain when invariably the fastest cars drive away from the slowest. There needs to be a margin of error introduced into qualifying - the drivers are too adept now at going out and nailing a lap with minimal risk. Once upon a time there used to be substantial risk of someone screwing up a qualifying lap and often we seen the top runners out in Q1 due to a lockup or whatever. Now that never happens, can’t remember the last time Lewis or max didn’t make it out of Q1 for instance without mechanical failure. Mostly because we give them too much of a chance to recover their mistakes. 18 minutes is more than enough for these guys to put in a lap and be safe. Alonso had it on the head - one shot qualifying

You know how you were saying about reverse grids being the worst thing in the world because it rewards the less successful? You can’t have it both ways.

You can’t say it’s a bad thing to reward the less successful and then not want the faster drivers to pull away.

Just finished watching the Schumacher film on Netflix. I thought it was really good, gave a really good insight into his approach to racing, his attitude - which we sort of knew about anyway, but this gave some extra background - and what he was like away from the racetrack, his desire for privacy and contempt for the media intrusions to his private life really goes to back up why the family haven't shared anything since his accident.

As an aside, those cars from his early days really did sound fantastic.

Just a hunch on my part, but I get the impression that Jos Verstappen doesn't get on with either Helmut Marko or Christian Horner. There's definitely a lack of warmth between them, whereas the likes of Papa Smurf Button was adored wherever his son went.
Buttons dad always came across well tbf
As an aside, those cars from his early days really did look and sound fantastic.
Tidied

I almost take umbrage with that. And what’s wrong with rewarding those less fancied? In your world you really think it acceptable that the top 2-3 teams and drivers get all the points all the time? Is it really that bad to see and begrudge a little unfancied team like Alfa Tauri, Williams, Alpine, Aston Martin or even Ferrari doing well, getting a good haul of points from a race (or getting a win now and again) in a season dominated by RBR and Mercedes?

In the world of the BTCC which heads to Croft on Sunday it has used it very successfully for many years. For Race 3 someone draws a ball with a number on it and whoever finished there in Race 2 finds himself on pole. So if it’s No 7 then the top 7 are reversed. You say it rewards the less successful but that’s a very negative way of looking at it. It is more like levelling the playing field. Gives the less fancied teams who don’t normally find themselves high up anywhere in races, qualifying or even FP a chance to get some points and even win. They never see the front end of a race let alone anything else much. Why begrudge an underdog a brief taste of success?

If only it were as simple as that. There’s no passing because F1 almost doesn’t seem to allow it. Close racing contests everywhere from lights to flag. You practically get penalised for anything deemed remotely risky to challenge anyone.

You know how you were saying about reverse grids being the worst thing in the world because it rewards the less successful? You can’t have it both ways.

You can’t say it’s a bad thing to reward the less successful and then not want the faster drivers to pull away.
My view to improve sprint qualifying.

Friday 1st session - 10 lap sprint race reverse grid from previous race (teams have no data as to which tyre will be best, get to see how it performs for 10 laps). 5 points for the winner decending down to 1 point for 5th.

Friday 2nd session - 1 hour practice

Saturday 3rd session - 30 min practice

Saturday Qualifying
I met John Button in Hungary when I went to the race one year, he stopped and had a chat, he came across exactly as he always did on TV. It was no wonder he was so well respected around the paddock.

Good tidying of the post, they did look amazing as well.
Literally at ferrari land in Salou this morning and got to see the 06 & 09 Ferraris up close. (Front wrong design was a beauty in 06 was also smaller than the 09 by some distance judging by my eyes)
Edit - looked it up the 06 car was an inch longer, but 5 inches thinner and 8 inches lower.
Hence why the 09 looked bigger because it was, just not longer

Last edited:

So you should be given an advantage if you aren’t as good you are saying? Perhaps Sunderland should get a 3 goal head start when they next play Man Utd? That isn’t how it works. Sport is a meritocracy and you earn things, not get given free poles and what would be free race wins in a reverse grid race.

There’s a difference between a reverse grid race and one shot qualifying adding a larger margin of error than currently exists
My view to improve sprint qualifying.

Friday 1st session - 10 lap sprint race reverse grid from previous race (teams have no data as to which tyre will be best, get to see how it performs for 10 laps). 5 points for the winner decending down to 1 point for 5th.

Friday 2nd session - 1 hour practice

Saturday 3rd session - 30 min practice

Saturday Qualifying

Literally at ferrari land in Salou this morning and got to see the 06 & 09 Ferraris up close. (Front wrong design was a beauty in 06 was also smaller than the 09 by some distance judging by my eyes)
Edit - looked it up the 06 car was an inch longer, but 5 inches thinner and 8 inches lower.
Hence why the 09 looked bigger because it was, just not longer
If it’s just a 10 lap sprint, what tyre used this season wouldn’t have made it the full distance and therefore why would any team do anything other than the softest available?

Last edited:
So you should be given an advantage if you aren’t as good you are saying? Perhaps Sunderland should get a 3 goal head start when they next play Man Utd? That isn’t how it works. Sport is a meritocracy and you earn things, not get given free poles and what would be free race wins in a reverse grid race.

There’s a difference between a reverse grid race and one shot qualifying adding a larger margin of error than currently exists

There’s no talking to you is there. No wonder you are on my Ignore list. I only had a peep at the post I replied to because i was interested in what another who was replying to the same comment was replying to. Never again.

Back