F1 2021

Been following F1 since 1980, but never felt less interested than this year. I want to see a fight not a formality. Might feel different once we get going again. Lost a trip with the boy to Austin last year, not sure if/how we could replace it this season.

Been following F1 since 1980, but never felt less interested than this year. I want to see a fight not a formality. Might feel different once we get going again. Lost a trip with the boy to Austin last year, not sure if/how we could replace it this season.
But this the year that Hamilton officially becomes the greatest and Schumacher loses it.

But this the year that Hamilton officially becomes the greatest and Schumacher loses it.

Tainted for me by the total lack of competition in the last three seasons and probably this one too. Not Hamilton's fault, but one manufacturer has had it their own way for too long to generate any excitement for me.

Tainted for me by the total lack of competition in the last three seasons and probably this one too. Not Hamilton's fault, but one manufacturer has had it their own way for too long to generate any excitement for me.
Same as when Schumacher was winning every year, bar the one he cheated in.

Mercedes just got it right when the engine regulations changed big time in 2014. Reading back on how they researched and developed the engine is a masterclass in engineering.

The rest of the field were playing catch-up, and in 2017 overtook them, but the reliability and Lewis keeping his cool kept the bandwagon going.

The still unanswered questions about the Ferrari power unit forced Mercedes to go even further to compete. The tales of howbghey found even more power are unreal.

Unfortunately, Ferrari for whatever reason fell back, Honda didn't develop as well as hoped, and Renault were Renault. This left Mercedes head and shoulders above the rest.

The next big change for 2022 hopefully will reset things a bit.

For me, they should relax some of the reliability criteria, to allow the teams to push more, and allow the engine modes again. This will increase the risk and rewards for pushing harder and challenging the front runners.

for what its worth, whilst hamilton was nailed onto be the world champion before the first wheel had turned, when the flag fell in adu dhabi i thought it had been the most entertaining season in a long time and i see no reason to think this won't be the same in 21, its b-spec cars.

f1 reposted this with the news of the return portimao - having watched this again, is this better than senna's first lap at donnington in 93? i think it could be...

I don't remember it being quite so nailed on, but seems so long ago now, could be wrong.
It wasn’t such a big gap with Schumacher.

In 2000 it was pretty even but reliability and an extremely strong end of the season from Schumacher won it.

2003 was close with McLaren too.

It wasn’t such a big gap with Schumacher.

In 2000 it was pretty even but reliability and an extremely strong end of the season from Schumacher won it.

2003 was close with McLaren too.
Didn't Schumacher regularly have an entire pitstop in hand by the time he changed tyres?

Back