F1 2021

From the second race in Bahrain, rival teams had already taken note of a change in the straight line performance of the Ferrari cars.

For just a fortnight after Melbourne, where Ferrari had had a lacklustre start to the campaign and had been losing time on all the straights and the corners: suddenly in Sakhir its performance advantage was purely down to the time it was gaining on the straights.

As the season wore on, rivals kept a close eye on things – and it became clear at Monza when, through studying GPS data and being aware that any straightline speed advantage there is down to power and not aero efficiency (as all teams run minimum drag), Ferrari was gaining as much as one second per lap on the straights.

Two theories emerged about what the Italian outfit could be doing.

The first was that it could be using a controlled leak through the intercooler to allow oil to be able to enter the combustion process and help provide a temporary power boost.

The second theory was that Ferrari had management to briefly exceed the 100kg/h fuel flow rate limit between the points where FIA measurements were taken. The extra fuel getting to the engine could then be used for more power.

I agree - but they, and the FIA, should come clean about what they did, what the agreement was and why there was no penalty.

Then - and only then - the fans will move on.

I suspect this will stay with Ferrari forever.

I agree - but they, and the FIA, should come clean about what they did, what the agreement was and why there was no penalty.

Then - and only then - the fans will move on.

I suspect this will stay with Ferrari forever.
Exactly, the fact that Ferrari also have a history of less severe penalties than other teams have been handed is another reason this one look questionable at best.

I'm sure it will come out one day, but I very much doubt it'll be any time soon.

No but they should be allowed to get on with their lives without being reminded every second of every day months or years after it happened.
As @Big Jeff says the way it was handled leaves it open ended, it’s human nature to rake over the ashes until everyone knows how they were cheating.

it reminds me of the Toyota Celica Turbo scandal back in the 90s world rally, everyone knows how they were cheating (quite ingenious) and then moved on after their punishment.

How does the FIA monitor wind tunnel usage?

Ferrari and McLaren have their own tunnels.

It does not take much imagination to say hmmm let’s test our road car in the tunnel and then just shove the race car in and gather some data.

Any ideas?

How does the FIA monitor wind tunnel usage?

It does not take much imagination to say hmmm let’s test our road car in the tunnel and then just shove the race car in and gather some data.

Any ideas?
There's a lot of stuff like this in f1. Budget cap for example.

probably worth mentioning that siedel identified a major part of mclarens current performance problems had been down to the windtunnel facility, or lack of. i can't remember if their current one was ancient old, or not useable or they didnt have one as they're currently using the toyota one in cologne. there was a story on motorsport.com last year where the mclaren board had given approval for a new wind tunnel at woking, but that it was way off (and delayed due to covid).
There's a lot of stuff like this in f1. Budget cap for example.
when mclaren unveiled the new woking site, there was rumours abound (coming from italy perhaps) that the lake was hiding a james bond-esq underground test track! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Last edited:

Back