F1 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
The merc is not designed to follow well. Last weekend Brundle mentioned he asked a merc engineer what percentage of their time they devote to looking at following cars and he said zero percent.
i think he was referring to every car, not just the merc - from memory he said he spoke to an unnamed esteemed designer (i presumed he meant newey).

The merc is not designed to follow well. Last weekend Brundle mentioned he asked a merc engineer what percentage of their time they devote to looking at following cars and he said zero percent.

Yeah it's clearly a car that is expected to spend most of it's time running in clean air and designed as such, think the only time this year where it's moved up the field quickly was after Hamilton's penalty at Monza? That was also a lot to do with his talent more than anything else I think, as Bottas never really got going after his puncture last week.

I'm trying to think about realistic expectations for Russell in quali. It's clearly the best car but the Williams is totally different, are the FP sessions enough to get up to speed and get the best out of it? I know Hulk struggled massively in the pink panther qualifying at the Nurburgring, but that was with no FP running at all. Maybe the simplified track will help somewhat?

Yeah it's clearly a car that is expected to spend most of it's time running in clean air and designed as such, think the only time this year where it's moved up the field quickly was after Hamilton's penalty at Monza? That was also a lot to do with his talent more than anything else I think, as Bottas never really got going after his puncture last week.

I'm trying to think about realistic expectations for Russell in quali. It's clearly the best car but the Williams is totally different, are the FP sessions enough to get up to speed and get the best out of it? I know Hulk struggled massively in the pink panther qualifying at the Nurburgring, but that was with no FP running at all. Maybe the simplified track will help somewhat?
I think he'll get up to speed very quickly. He's familiar with the setup within Merc and was very fast in the post season test last year.

I'm going to nail my colours to the mast, risk being quoted on Saturday evening and say that he'll keep up his 100% record in qualifying. He knows this is his career defining opportunity and with his temperament, I think he's going to take full advantage of it and send out a message to the rest of the F1 world.

I think he'll get up to speed very quickly. He's familiar with the setup within Merc and was very fast in the post season test last year.

I'm going to nail my colours to the mast, risk being quoted on Saturday evening and say that he'll keep up his 100% record in qualifying. He knows this is his career defining opportunity and with his temperament, I think he's going to take full advantage of it and send out a message to the rest of the F1 world.

It's definitely possible, you have to factor in that he's not coming in totally blind like Hulkenberg was given his relationship with Merc, guessing he'll still have to do a seat-fit and learn this year's steering wheel etc though.

He'll know all the personnel there and I think given the resources they've invested in him already, they'll be doing everything to make sure he has everything he needs to succeed. As someone mentioned earlier, all the truly great drivers seized these opportunities when they came along.

Bottas, for all his faults on Sundays is a top tier qualifier though. I don't see how he keeps his seat past 2021 if Russell beats him, he absolutely has to perform so I'm sure he'll be feeling the pressure. Can only imagine the awkwardness of the post-quali/race interviews if he gets beaten.

That would be mindblowing if he does. Bottas is usually very close to Lewis in quali.

Something that's bugged me about the grosjean accident, was that he was only wearing one boot, alpinestar have been talking about it to motorsport.com :

The missing boot
Photographs of Grosjean as he was led away from the car showed that he was missing his left boot.

Early indications are that the boot had got trapped behind something in the cockpit, potentially the brake pedal, and came off as Grosjean clambered out.

While it may have seemed unusual for the boot to come off, part of the analysis going forward will be whether Grosjean was helped by being able to release his foot from it. Had he not been able to, then it could potentially have trapped him in the car.

Some drivers, like Grosjean, prefer a Velcro style of fastening, whereas some like the more rigid traditional laces.

“We have shoes to fit each different driver's specific needs going from lace up to that Velcro model,” he said.

“You are coming from a place where the focus is on weight saving and of course, each of the products meet and exceed the minimum requirement. But it's about a driver's choice on what he wants to do and how he wants to use it.”

Full article:

is someone frustrated?

Logon or register to see this image

Last edited:
Something that's bugged me about the grosjean accident, was that he was only wearing one boot, alpinestar have been talking about it to motorsport.com :

The missing boot
Photographs of Grosjean as he was led away from the car showed that he was missing his left boot.

Early indications are that the boot had got trapped behind something in the cockpit, potentially the brake pedal, and came off as Grosjean clambered out.

While it may have seemed unusual for the boot to come off, part of the analysis going forward will be whether Grosjean was helped by being able to release his foot from it. Had he not been able to, then it could potentially have trapped him in the car.

Some drivers, like Grosjean, prefer a Velcro style of fastening, whereas some like the more rigid traditional laces.

“We have shoes to fit each different driver's specific needs going from lace up to that Velcro model,” he said.

“You are coming from a place where the focus is on weight saving and of course, each of the products meet and exceed the minimum requirement. But it's about a driver's choice on what he wants to do and how he wants to use it.”

Full article:

is someone frustrated?

I almost don't want to think too much about it, if that makes sense.
That's definitely someone's job to do though - really look into everything that happened.

When you see the inside of an F1 cockpit it looks like their legs go into two sort of "tubes".

Have a look next time see if you can see them. I suppose its to stop their legs moving under lateral G

The missing boot

Full article:

is someone frustrated?

Not sure if it was Sky or the highlights on 4 but they were talking to somebody from Haas and they mentioned that they dont know what happened to the steering wheel either as Grosjean cant remember removing it and they couldnt find it, and if it was still there he wouldnt have been able to get out as quickly. I think pretty much everything that could have went his way has done (minus the crashing and fire part).

I see the end of season "young driver test" may not be quite live up to its name "young driver test"... renault get the go ahead to run a 39yo, alfa are set to run 35yo kubica and intriguingly "red bull" (unknown if thats RBR or Alpha) to run 32yo sebastien buemi...

Reactions: PTR
That’s inspiring for the young drivers
jack aitken is going to run for williams... mclaren seem the most upset that fernando is running. be interesting to see if merc run george again - who else do they have in their driver program currently racing in f2/3?

Some nutters on Facey reckoning that Hamilton getting COVID is a conspiracy to allow Russel the chance to get a point this race and not have a Merc driver beat the record for most pointless starts ever in F1...which he would happen to break this weekend, apparently? lol

Some nutters on Facey reckoning that Hamilton getting COVID is a conspiracy to allow Russel the chance to get a point this race and not have a Merc driver beat the record for most pointless starts ever in F1...which he would happen to break this weekend, apparently? lol
facey & conspiracy? i'm out...

People like those are the reason I no longer have Facebook but also the only reason I miss it as sometimes they are actually hilarious how batshit crazy the ideas they dream up are.

Has anyone said how close Russell should be to Bottas in quali yet, or are none of the media 'experts' guessing yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back