F1 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

I don’t rate Latifi at all mind, so I’d take that star with a pinch of salt.
agreed... when i first read the stat i was thinking (as @Beau Peep lists above) of a comparison with senna, with Kubica as Elio De Angelis and Latifi as Johnny Dumfries. Question therefore will be, is Bottas a Satoru Nakajima or a Prost? answers on a postcard...

with haas confirming their seats, its all down to helmut marko to decide who will race in the two empty red bull seats for 2021 - have they given any clue when they'll confirm this?
Horner was still waffling last weekend saying they are giving Albon time.

I don’t believe him. I think Alex will get the push and someone new will come in.

I think the real issue is Max. He is a future world champ and may be objecting to certain teammates.

Last edited:
Schumacher did have a couple of races off in that time due to his ban in 1994, perhaps that has been considered to break the streak by Sky. In that time he was against Brundle, Patrese, Lehto, Verstappen and Herbert.

Senna's streak was in his time at Lotus against Elio De Angelis, Johnny Dumfries and Satoru Nakajima, it came to an end against Prost in 1988. Not aware of any races he missed in his case though so not sure why the discrepancy
Sky were reporting the longest run before a first quali defeat, whereas those streaks from senna and Michael happened after they’d previously lost in qualifying

agreed... when i first read the stat i was thinking (as @Beau Peep lists above) of a comparison with senna, with Kubica as Elio De Angelis and Latifi as Johnny Dumfries. Question therefore will be, is Bottas a Satoru Nakajima or a Prost? answers on a postcard...

Id rate him highly in qualifying. Up there with the best qualifiers on the grid. It’s Sunday when he doesn’t perform tbh. Which works relatively well in these cars where you cannot overtake.

Horner was still waffling last weekend saying they are giving Albon time.

I don’t believe him. I think Alex will get the push and someone new will come in.

I think the real issue is Max. He is a future world champ and may be objecting to certain teammates.

Keeping Albon would help them save face around their driver programme, not a good look if that's 2 young drivers they burn through and stick on the scrap heap (Gasly has turned it round at AT to be fair). I think there's also some issues around Perez being sponsored by a lot of RB's current sponsor's competitors too.

They're giving him a stay of execution in the hope that he somehow pulls it out of the bag and gets closer to max on both Saturdays and Sundays, last weekend as an example would be the bare minimum he would need again in these last 2 races in order to give himself a chance.

Albon is a better driver than what he's shown for most of this year, I think it could have been a lot different for him if Lewis hadn't bumped him in Brazil '19 or Austria this year. Must be so demoralising being lapped by your teammate and not even coming close in qualifying.

Mercedes won’t be paying Williams a fee as Russell is their driver. Williams will be happy for Russell to get extra experience and bring back car knowledge, just as they were happy for him to test for Merc last year. That’s where Williams will benefit, as they’ll be able to extract lots from Russell about the car within the regulations.

Think this is fantastic, was expecting some crap announcement that ruins the race but I’ve got high hopes for Russell to at least compete with verstappen for second. Hell, you never know, he could even push Bottas. His pace during the last test over the winter was unbelievable in the merc, faster than Bottas was all week, on both long and short runs. So who knows.
Watch Merc put a new engine in or something and give him a massive grid penalty!
Delighted at that news
The pressure has just ramped up considerably on Bottas mind
Yeah, its a great chance for him to cement his place too if he can cover him off.

Assuming they're on their last engine (or other limited component), and it might need replacing before the end of the season anyway, they could decide to get it out the way now while Lewis isn't able to drive?
Would be harsh on Russell, I guess it would give him a chance to cut through the pack. Norris has made some memorable overtakes but Russell is yet to show as many eyecatching passes, he has had fewer opportunities to be fair and they don't get much coverage when they're for 18th.

I don't recall any Hamilton engine failures in practice and obviously quali and races, Merc usually manage to make their allocation last, so hopefully no need to take a penalty, and there's no real need to have all fresh bits for Abu Dhabi. He's used his full allocation of all parts 2020 F1 Power Unit Elements: See all Used Elements of Cars, doesn't stop them putting older bits back in for George if they want Lewis to have fresher parts.

Would be harsh on Russell, I guess it would give him a chance to cut through the pack. Norris has made some memorable overtakes but Russell is yet to show as many eyecatching passes, he has had fewer opportunities to be fair and they don't get much coverage when they're for 18th.

I don't recall any Hamilton engine failures in practice and obviously quali and races, Merc usually manage to make their allocation last, so hopefully no need to take a penalty, and there's no real need to have all fresh bits for Abu Dhabi. He's used his full allocation of all parts 2020 F1 Power Unit Elements: See all Used Elements of Cars, doesn't stop them putting older bits back in for George if they want Lewis to have fresher parts.
I'm sure its happened a few times in the past where people have stood in. I'm not suggesting I want it to happen of course - I want a shoot out between Russell and Bottas - it'll be very interesting.

Russell is yet to show as many eyecatching passes, he has had fewer opportunities to be fair and they don't get much coverage when they're for 18th.
if george doesn't get his start right on sunday, he'll have plenty of opportunity - its easily the weakest link in his armory.

if george doesn't get his start right on sunday, he'll have plenty of opportunity - its easily the weakest link in his armory.

Could all come down to his start, the Merc has not looked particularly great in the few times it's found itself following/in traffic.

Could all come down to his start, the Merc has not looked particularly great in the few times it's found itself following/in traffic.
The merc is not designed to follow well. Last weekend Brundle mentioned he asked a merc engineer what percentage of their time they devote to looking at following cars and he said zero percent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back