F1 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, if you don't like F1 then there is a world of competitive racing out there like the Blancpain Endurance Cup, WEC and if you like Touring Cars the TCR International Series looks cracking. We saw great battles all down the field last year mainly between the Leopard Racing VW Golfs and the SEAT Leons of Team Craft-Bamboo Lukoil which were fabulous.

But the only issue now I have with F1 is the availability of the broadcasts. It is the worst for any motorsport. In the UK there is only really Sky Sports F1 as Channel 4 won't have it for long and it is poor as it is. F1 fans who don't have Sky must go without. Make it available on streaming online like the Blancpain GT series and it will see more fans watch.
I would think the new owners will take the sport online although they may have to wait until sky's deal is up for renewal depending on how the currant deals exclusivity is.

Well, if you don't like F1 then there is a world of competitive racing out there like the Blancpain Endurance Cup, WEC and if you like Touring Cars the TCR International Series looks cracking. We saw great battles all down the field last year mainly between the Leopard Racing VW Golfs and the SEAT Leons of Team Craft-Bamboo Lukoil which were fabulous.

But the only issue now I have with F1 is the availability of the broadcasts. It is the worst for any motorsport. In the UK there is only really Sky Sports F1 as Channel 4 won't have it for long and it is poor as it is. F1 fans who don't have Sky must go without. Make it available on streaming online like the Blancpain GT series and it will see more fans watch.
Kodi streams mate, plenty available

Those wider wheels will make it even worse at the likes of Monaco. I know the race is seen as Iconic but it's the worst track on the F1 calendar, no over points and boring from start to finish, I've got nothing against road tracks BTW as I thought the new Azerbaijan road race was interesting and good to watch with wide turns and plenty of over taking points...

Those wider wheels will make it even worse at the likes of Monaco. I know the race is seen as Iconic but it's the worst track on the F1 calendar, no over points and boring from start to finish, I've got nothing against road tracks BTW as I thought the new Azerbaijan road race was interesting and good to watch with wide turns and plenty of over taking points...
Monaco is a bore fest every year. Unless there's rain etc

That engine is likely to be faster than the 2017 Renault and Honda though, no?

Maybe at the beginning. With the token system being binned the teams with 2017 engines could introduce a whole new design for each of their 4 engines through the year if they wanted.

Reactions: PTR
Maybe at the beginning. With the token system being binned the teams with 2017 engines could introduce a whole new design for each of their 4 engines through the year if they wanted.
Is there unlimited development of engines now then? Or was the token system replaced with some other constraint? Otherwise costs will surely spiral?

Is there unlimited development of engines now then? Or was the token system replaced with some other constraint? Otherwise costs will surely spiral?

Unlimited development is allowed. But they are still permitted to using 4 engines in a season before penalties start kicking in. So like I say in theory they could do 4 completely new complete power units legally. Cost's shouldn't spiral because it's not like they can bring a new engine for every race like they were doing previously unless they want to get massive penalties. They cant stock pile engines like merc did at belgium last year for lewis. I cant remember how they changed it to get round that though.

Unlimited development is allowed. But they are still permitted to using 4 engines in a season before penalties start kicking in. So like I say in theory they could do 4 completely new complete power units legally. Cost's shouldn't spiral because it's not like they can bring a new engine for every race like they were doing previously unless they want to get massive penalties. They cant stock pile engines like merc did at belgium last year for lewis. I cant remember how they changed it to get round that though.
But their R&D labs can now work flat out with no budget. That's going to have an impact, surely? Its not really building the engines that costs the money, its the work that goes into them

But their R&D labs can now work flat out with no budget. That's going to have an impact, surely? Its not really building the engines that costs the money, its the work that goes into them

wouldn't that be the same with the token system though? Their R&D departments will have been going flat out then they could decide which gave the biggest gains and implement them within the available tokens. The advantage of this is it should give honda and renault a chance to catch up.

wouldn't that be the same with the token system though? Their R&D departments will have been going flat out then they could decide which gave the biggest gains and implement them within the available tokens. The advantage of this is it should give honda and renault a chance to catch up.
You might be right there actually. Good point.

Oh, and just spotted this retweet of the Sauber livery photos.
Marcus Ericsson ‏@Ericsson_Marcus 22m22 minutes ago
I have to say it's been a while but I think this might be my new crush
Logon or register to see this image
. Seriously good looking. Please be fast as well
@SauberF1Team #ME9

Didn't they change it so that the penalties no longer stack? Lewis at Belgium got something like a 55 place grid penalty, but because there are only 22 grid slots - that's all you can get.
I'm sure it now rolls over to the next race?

Most teams release their cars this week :cool:

The new Sauber livery is stunning.
i concur - it looks nice... but will it go quick? lacking sponsors anarl, i forsee a bit of the usual sauber tricks of topping the timesheets during testing to catch the eye of would-be sponsors...

Most teams release their cars this week :cool:

Tuesday, 21 February Renault (RS17)
Wednesday, 22 February Force India (VJM10)
Thursday, 23 February Mercedes, (W08)
Friday, 24 February Ferrari
Friday, 24 February McLaren (MCL32)
Sunday, 26 February Toro Rosso (STR12)

looking forward to seeing the first none MP4 McLaren in a long time, complete with 60s orange get-up if rumour is to be believed...

Last edited:
Reactions: PTR
Didn't they change it so that the penalties no longer stack? Lewis at Belgium got something like a 55 place grid penalty, but because there are only 22 grid slots - that's all you can get.
I'm sure it now rolls over to the next race?

just checked, your correct they penalties do now follow over to following races.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back