F1 2017

Thank God he's finally gone.
Hopefully we'll see the back of places like Bahrain, Azerbaijan etc. and race in countries that give a fuck about the sport instead of just chasing the next pot of gold from whatever tinpot dictator wants to buy a grand prix to inflate their ego.

Should be an interesting season. I wonder if the Merc will still drive off into the disatance.

You'd think by now, the engines would all be roughly the same - its about 4 years into the current design, and there's not a huge amount of restriction on what you can change really.

I'm really hoping these new tyres mean cars can follow closer and overtaken without the artificial DRS. Its not ideal that, but I guess it is needed at times.

Front wings have got unbelievably complicated in the last few years.

not quite as different as i was expecting...

same, but I think it's quite hard to tell with the black background. Also Williams wont want to give anything away this early, wings, bargeboards, sidepods ect will change between now and testing and then again before melbourne.

Mercedes will p*as it again

They will. They have been so far ahead that they could dedicate more wind tunnel testing time to the 2017 car than anyone else, on top of that they already have the best engine. So unless someone does a brawn and finds a loophole like the DD diffuser then it's theirs to lose.

As much as I hope we do get more racing, I think the wider cars will leave less space for getting past, plus the bigger wings will make following round corners harder, more so than the extra grip from the tyres will negate. I'm happy to be proved wrong.

Love to see a Hamilton v Verstappen v Ricciardo title fight.

Can't see Bottas troubling Hamilton, especially in qualifying, and I can't see Ferrari producing a good enough car yet again.

That'll be Bottas who was way better than his team mates the last three seasons? He's gonna be a lot closer to Hamilton than some people think but Hamilton should have the edge.
The Red Bull will be hampered by the fact the engine they have is underpowered compared to the Mercedes and that will be an even bigger issue this season more so than last season due to the car needing the extra ooomph to push it along the track with all the extra downforce the cars will have.
The extra downforce being produced by the aero will result in it being harder to follow the car in front than it was before as well. Last season saw more overtaking than ever before in F1 since records began and so they've made it harder to follow the car in front, it's f***ing stupid

Last edited:
That'll be Bottas who was way better than his team mates the last three seasons? He's gonna be a lot closer to Hamilton than some people think but Hamilton should have the edge.
The Red Bull will be hampered by the fact the engine they have is underpowered compared to the Mercedes and that will be an even bigger issue this season more so than last season due to the car needing the extra ooomph to push it along the track with all the extra downforce the cars will have.
The extra downforce being produced by the aero will result in it being harder to follow the car in front than it was before as well. Last season saw more overtaking than ever before in F1 since records began and so they've made it harder to follow the car in front, it's f***ing stupid

Made the cars faster but overtaking more challenging, strange really

The red bulls were never the quickest in a straight line even during their dominent spell so I wouldn't write them off.... Bottas won't trouble Lewis, he's quick but doesnt have the aggressiveness to fight..

The red bulls were never the quickest in a straight line even during their dominent spell so I wouldn't write them off.... Bottas won't trouble Lewis, he's quick but doesnt have the aggressiveness to fight..

The changes mean the car will need the extra power that the Mercedes engine produces even more so than last season, the extra drag from the extra downloaded will be massively helped by having more power to push it through that. They would need a double diffuser invention just to catch them.

The cars will be running full throttle for longer meaning they will be power limited for longer rather than grip limited. Simulations have shown that Barcelona will be around 70% full throttle as opposed to the 50% it was last year so for 70% of every lap Mercedes will be using 40-50bhp more than Red Bull, an increase of 20%. The RedBull aero package will need to be monstrously good

Last edited:
f1 bores me

Well, if you don't like F1 then there is a world of competitive racing out there like the Blancpain Endurance Cup, WEC and if you like Touring Cars the TCR International Series looks cracking. We saw great battles all down the field last year mainly between the Leopard Racing VW Golfs and the SEAT Leons of Team Craft-Bamboo Lukoil which were fabulous.

But the only issue now I have with F1 is the availability of the broadcasts. It is the worst for any motorsport. In the UK there is only really Sky Sports F1 as Channel 4 won't have it for long and it is poor as it is. F1 fans who don't have Sky must go without. Make it available on streaming online like the Blancpain GT series and it will see more fans watch.

Back