RR EXCLUSIVE: Charlie Methven discusses Sunderland’s investment, transfer window & scouting plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

This FPP thing is going to end up pissing people off. So they've invested in Madrox and Methven sounds adamant that they'll never have a financial connection to SAFC. Firstly, even just by the money they've given Madrox then being given to SAFC there's a financial connection. Not one you'd see on companies house or owt, not an official one, but if we get money as a result of them giving Madrox money I'd call that a connection. Secondly I hope the intention is still there for them to eventually own Madrox (and thus in turn own SAFC) but I'm not sure why the secrecy; if that's the aim, even if it might change, I don't know why they (madrox and FPP jointly) can't come out and say it. When they don't it's only going to fuel uncertainty.

For people who have been full of how transparent and open they want to be, and how they want to find investors with similar aims etc it seems very strange that we've suddenly got Donald disappearing, Methven effectively saying "you don't need to know anything so we aren't saying anything" and a strange relationship with a random bunch of billionaires who, thus far, are helping us fix a lift. All the while there's the backdrop of poor performances and a likely extended stay in league one. I was at the game today, it wasn't the entirety of the hard core of course but a lot of them were there, the booing at the end was telling. Everyone is getting sick, and the current PR approach is hardly helping matters

This FPP thing is going to end up pissing people off. So they've invested in Madrox and Methven sounds adamant that they'll never have a financial connection to SAFC. Firstly, even just by the money they've given Madrox then being given to SAFC there's a financial connection. Not one you'd see on companies house or owt, not an official one, but if we get money as a result of them giving Madrox money I'd call that a connection. Secondly I hope the intention is still there for them to eventually own Madrox (and thus in turn own SAFC) but I'm not sure why the secrecy; if that's the aim, even if it might change, I don't know why they (madrox and FPP jointly) can't come out and say it. When they don't it's only going to fuel uncertainty.

For people who have been full of how transparent and open they want to be, and how they want to find investors with similar aims etc it seems very strange that we've suddenly got Donald disappearing, Methven effectively saying "you don't need to know anything so we aren't saying anything" and a strange relationship with a random bunch of billionaires who, thus far, are helping us fix a lift. All the while there's the backdrop of poor performances and a likely extended stay in league one. I was at the game today, it wasn't the entirety of the hard core of course but a lot of them were there, the booing at the end was telling. Everyone is getting sick, and the current PR approach is hardly helping matters

Yes, good post. I too smell a rat.

A bit of pressure and scrutiny and things have hugely changed. He’s correct about the pain of cost cutting- it’s not easy - but to be more financially productive we need wins and momentum and hope and we got player exits and frees. They haven’t got the balance right and seem to have disdain for anyone asking difficult questions.

As a fan of 30 years I’ve never once been remotely interested in who we hire as scouts

A bit of pressure and scrutiny and things have hugely changed. He’s correct about the pain of cost cutting- it’s not easy - but to be more financially productive we need wins and momentum and hope and we got player exits and frees. They haven’t got the balance right and seem to have disdain for anyone asking difficult questions.

Methven’s arrogance knows no bounds, he is cleverer than you do not have the temerity to ask searching questions. Your role is to be a happy clapping seal, when you are not he will belittle you by telling you the Charlton fans are better.

To me it seems like the Americans were walking away and to keep the club afloat they have taken out a loan from them to save face and at least try to keep the fans onside. It’s quickly turning to rat shit with these bunch of absolute chancers in charge.
For SD to run for cover at the first sign of trouble stinks and to push out the fans have threatened him crap is a disgrace. He has been in away ends, to talk ins, fan zones and I have never heard any threats to him at all, yet we are to take it as gospel that his family have been threatened on a social media platform. If that was the case then get off that platform but to just disappear altogether stinks to high heaven. Is this is form Donald then? Just never come to a game or speak again, if that’s the case then get out the club and take the money you have put in with you (very little). The club is going down the pan at the minute and it should be all hands on deck but sadly the captain bailed on the first life boat.

To me it seems like the Americans were walking away and to keep the club afloat they have taken out a loan from them to save face and at least try to keep the fans onside. It’s quickly turning to rat shit with these bunch of absolute chancers in charge.
For SD to run for cover at the first sign of trouble stinks and to push out the fans have threatened him crap is a disgrace. He has been in away ends, to talk ins, fan zones and I have never heard any threats to him at all, yet we are to take it as gospel that his family have been threatened on a social media platform. If that was the case then get off that platform but to just disappear altogether stinks to high heaven. Is this is form Donald then? Just never come to a game or speak again, if that’s the case then get out the club and take the money you have put in with you (very little). The club is going down the pan at the minute and it should be all hands on deck but sadly the captain bailed on the first life boat.

Why would FFP just suddenly agree to loan Madrox (not SAFC LTD £10M though? What have they, if anything, got to gain? What have Madrox used as security on the loan? Have they made promises on first right to buy? The SoL, the AoL? It's all very fishy...

The engagement with fans was a good strategy, to inject positivity and galvanise the fan base. Large crowds are a major competitive advantage.

It has not worked and the high profile is leading to revolt.

The whole spin of the roulette wheel was on the basis of being promoted. I’m not sure there is a plan B except to restructure the club down to a sustainable league 1 level.

The gambling probably stopped with the £4m Grigg purchase.

Look at the Parkinson appointment in the cold light of day. It’s a downsizing move.

I fear the lack of activity in January will be telling, as will possible leaks over the punitive terms the American investment involves.
Why would FFP just suddenly agree to loan Madrox (not SAFC LTD £10M though? What have they, if anything, got to gain? What have Madrox used as security on the loan? Have they made promises on first right to buy? The SoL, the AoL? It's all very fishy...
I made a very similar observation earlier. They must have some security on the assets.

Last edited by a moderator:
To me they have probably got first refusal at a knock down price if it goes belly up. They won’t go giving money away for nothing but were clearly walking away and SD & co have had to grab onto something as a second buyer walking away in a matter of months could have been a catastrophic thing for them. The whole thing stinks.

The engagement with fans was a good strategy, to inject positivity and galvanise the fan base. Large crowds are a major competitive advantage.

It has not worked and the high profile is leading to revolt.

The whole spin of the roulette wheel was on the basis of being promoted. I’m not sure there is a plan B except to restructure the club down to a sustainable league 1 level.

The gambling probably stopped with the £4m Grigg purchase.

Look at the Parkinson appointment in the cold light of day. It’s a downsizing move.

I fear the lack of activity in January will be telling, as will possible leaks over the punitive terms the American investment involves.

I made a very similar observation earlier. They must have some security on the assets.

Absolutely they have. These are very successful and very intelligent businessmen. They don't just throw 8 figure sums at something without some sort of guarantee or security. If it's "potential" further investment with a minority stake or a fully blown takeover, why the secrecy? I don't believe that they would come all the way over here and watch a few games and set up SAFC FFP and I don't believe the info about the takeover would have been leaked to fanzines if it was always going to be mere investment into Madrox with no direct link to SAFC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back