RR EXCLUSIVE: Charlie Methven discusses Sunderland’s investment, transfer window & scouting plans

Riveting stuff......We're in great hands!

In an exclusive Podcast interview with Roker Report, Sunderland Executive Director Charlie Methven has given updates on the club’s plans for the future - including the January transfer window, the increased scouting network, investment and more.

Smoke and mirrors.

The January window will define their ownership. I fully accept that infrastructure is also important, as is the academy but another season in L1 means they lose everything. The fans will turn, season ticket sales will fall off a cliff, parachute payments have ended and FPP will probably withdraw their interest.

That's stuff about wearing a sheepskin.

Why does he feel its so necessary to be such a condesending bellend when the club crumbles down around him under his guidance?
Seen him down Durham not long after the appointment, just left him to enjoy his night absolutely loving all the attention

Seen him down Durham not long after the appointment, just left him to enjoy his night absolutely loving all the attention

Bit of a megalomaniac playing the big fish in the small sea.

How are blokes who couldn’t get Oxford now running us. f***ing shambles.

Bit of a megalomaniac playing the big fish in the small sea.
That's how it felt at the time. I don't read much of what is out out from the club any more tend to find it aggravates me. The podcasts at the start of the season had me very alarmed on about 100 points and the playing style very muddled club at the minute

Wonder if they have been promised an annual dividend?

The Glazers saddled Manchester United with interest payments over 15%.

Can’t help feel there is some financial engineering taking place here?

Feel a tad sorry for Methven being pushed out into the limelight over the last few weeks while Donald has gone into hiding.

That said, they’re both way out of their depth at a club the size of ours. Took a gamble on us being promoted at the first time of asking and selling for profit, they’ll be shitting themselves now it looks like we’re in this division for the long haul.

The nagging question is “what is in it for the investors, FFP”?

In my work I deal with American businesses, investors and know of companies owned by US investment vehicles, such as KKR hedge fund.

In my experience they are usually completely ruthless in business deals. There is never altruism as a motive, usually short term gains on controlling assets.

At the very least they must have some security on their investment? Property or first options on a discounted purchase price.

It is baffling.
$10 mil for the right of first refusal. Probably waiting for the club to be completely devalued.
Most of that is me being a dick. I hope there’s a plan somewhere.

Back