Essential films of the 90s

Status
Not open for further replies.

It was a choice for me between Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction, and I went with the first as it was more ground breaking.

Starship Troopers though? I've seen it but can't remember a thing about it.

Starship Troopers was groundbreaking in its predictions. Amongst other things it predicted a sort of interactive TV / internet crossover that may well happen at some point in the future and isn't too far away from "press the red button" technology that is in use today. This was before even Wikipedia existed. Much underrated movie often mislabelled as trashy sci-fi.

Would you like to know more?

Starship Troopers was groundbreaking in its predictions. Amongst other things it predicted a sort of interactive TV / internet crossover that may well happen at some point in the future and isn't too far away from "press the red button" technology that is in use today. This was before even Wikipedia existed. Much underrated movie often mislabelled as trashy sci-fi.

Would you like to know more?
Well that may explain its inclusion in the Tyneside Cinema list. I'll take your word for it. :)

Some good ones already mentioned -

Heat
Last of the Mohicans
Usual Suspects
LA confidential

Four of my all time favorites right there.

But how can we be 50+ posts in and no one has mentioned ...

POINT BREAK

Also Basic Instinct.

Tyneside cinema has an essential films of the 90s season and their choices are:
Fargo
Boogie Nights
Starship Trooper
Fight Club
Blue Travail
Chungking Express

This has set me thinking, and if pushed my choices would be:
Fight Club
Fargo
Goodfellas
Heat
Reservoir Dogs
The Shawshank Redemption

I'm guessing not everyone will agree. :lol:

Some good choices on both lists. Off the top of my head I'd say

Fight Club
The Big Lebowski
Jackie Brown
LA Confidential
Magnolia
Trainspotting

(and probably a different list tomorrow)

Guess how many films off their list, your list and my list won the Best Picture Oscar for their year?

Some good choices on both lists. Off the top of my head I'd say

Fight Club
The Big Lebowski
Jackie Brown
LA Confidential
Magnolia
Trainspotting

(and probably a different list tomorrow)

Guess how many films off their list, your list and my list won the Best Picture Oscar for their year?
I'm guessing none? Did LA Confidential not get anything. Best supporting actor iirc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back