Environment crisis

Some simple changes will make a massive difference.

1. Reduction in eating meat - massive impact to the amount of space used for food production and big reduction in CO2
2. No more driving to work and back for those who can work from home. - Reduction in space needed, commute CO2, vehicle needs etc.
3. No more car ownership, pooled car subscriptions. 80-90% reduction in car production.
4. Stop burning fossil fuels, move to 100% renewable - very possible despite the deny-ists 'The wind does always blow argument'
5. Cost of recycling added to the purchase cost of all goods. Things like batteries now carry the cost of their environmental recycling at the beginning.

Do those and 10b is very viable.
They're not simple changes and are highly unlikely to be enough on their own.
  • 1895 - Geologists Think theWorld May Be Frozen Up AgainNew York Times, February 1895
  • 1902 - “Disappearing Glaciers…deteriorating slowly, with a persistency that means their final annihilation…scientific fact…surely disappearing.” – Los Angeles Times
  • 1912 - Prof. Schmidt Warns Us of an Encroaching Ice AgeNew York Times, October 1912
  • 1923 - “Scientist says Arctic ice will wipe out Canada” – Professor Gregory of Yale University, American representative to the Pan-Pacific Science Congress, – Chicago Tribune
  • 1923 - “The discoveries of changes in the sun’s heat and the southward advance of glaciers in recent years have given rise to conjectures of the possible advent of a new ice age” – Washington Post
  • 1924 - MacMillan Reports Signs of New Ice AgeNew York Times, Sept 18, 1924
  • etc
There's money in panic.
Try getting your understanding of the world from reputable scientific publications, rather than newspaper headlines.

Last edited:

People going on as if they have a full understanding of the science. Do they think cutting emissions will stop climate change and everything will be ok?

Climate change is something we all have to live with and adapt to.
Try getting your understanding of the world from reputable scientific publications, rather than newspaper headlines.
Are you the smb authority on the subject?

Last edited:
They're not simple changes and are highly unlikely to be enough on their own.

Yes you're right, I'll ask Neil Ferguson to build me a model.

It depends what you mean by environmental emergency. Can you be more specific?

You sell your car, someone else buys it and uses it. Good plan :lol:

Speak for yourself marra

Why is this?

What do you know about them, have you done any research?

:lol:
The massive increase in species extinction in the last 50 years. The collapse of fish stocks more recently and the massive increase in marine plastic pollution. The ever increasing CO2 levels and the extreme weather events.

Yes but I won’t buy another car.

I’ve done a shit load of research including a degree in energy engineering, 10 years work in the environmental field and currently doing an MBA in Sustainable energy systems.

Perfect - Get it converted into affordable living space, apartments etc.

Rather than the 3,4,5 bedroom new builds that are going up everywhere alongside the extra infrastructure they require.

I don't think saving coffee shops and sandwich shops is a good enough reason for me to be forced back into the office either.
Forced back into the office? It’s your job mate

Forced back into the office? It’s your job mate

Pointless comment really.

I'm commenting on a thread about an environmental crisis stating how making millions of people jump back in cars to travel to busy offices to do a job that's proven to be easily done from home is silly.

It may be my job to work in an office but that doesn't make my comments any less true.

You a vegan H? You could have said.
Only doing it so I can be morally superior to everyone else.
Pointless comment really.

I'm commenting on a thread about an environmental crisis stating how making millions of people jump back in cars to travel to busy offices to do a job that's proven to be easily done from home is silly.

It may be my job to work in an office but that doesn't make my comments any less true.
I don’t think it’s healthy for people to be stuck in their little box at home 5 days a week. We are social animals and the current model where we have everything that we desire in our homes is unsustainable as well. Imho.
Would take massive amount of social engineering to right the wrongs of the reliance on the internal combustion engine.

Last edited:
The massive increase in species extinction in the last 50 years. The collapse of fish stocks more recently and the massive increase in marine plastic pollution. The ever increasing CO2 levels and the extreme weather events.

Yes but I won’t buy another car.

I’ve done a shit load of research including a degree in energy engineering, 10 years work in the environmental field and currently doing an MBA in Sustainable energy systems.
Well done. You probably realise loads of people rant on about the environment and don't have a clue what they're talking about. Basically repeating what they've heard in the media.

Yeah I agree with what you said and the car comment was tongue in cheek. The environmental emergency is far more than just climate change which will happen regardless, although at a different pace.
Well I have a job to go to, but when I do want to learn about it I go to scientific papers and magazines rather than newspapers.
I was asking out of curiosity, not putting you down marra.

Last edited:
I'm not denying it but I genuinely feel at a loss as to what can be done that will have a significant impact. I recycle, I don't have a car, I try to use as little electricity as possible, etc. but I suspect its nowhere near enough to alter the course we're on. Part of me still selfishly says that life is bloody short and just live it.

I also wonder how you persuade industrialising countries to put environmental issues above wealth creation.

I quoted @zwartekat (above) at the beginning of the thread, his first and last sentence pretty much sums everything up.

Well done. You probably realise loads of people rant on about the environment and don't have a clue what they're talking about. Basically repeating what they've heard in the media.

Yeah I agree with what you said and the car comment was tongue in cheek. The environmental emergency is far more than just climate change which will happen regardless, although at a different pace.

I was asking out of curiosity, not putting you down marra.
I didn't take it as a put down. As you say, there's a lot more than just climate change to be worried about. That's why I think the population is such a problem - it puts a strain on everything.

Only doing it so I can be morally superior to everyone else.

I don’t think it’s healthy for people to be stuck in their little box at home 5 days a week. We are social animals and the current model where we have everything that we desire in our homes is unsustainable as well. Imho.
Would take massive amount of social engineering to right the wrongs of the reliance on the internal combustion engine.
I'm sure when people get to grips with things they will realise an office is a useful place for doing the things that require interaction and the other things can be done from home. Maybe more people can utilise smaller offices less of the time.

I didn't take it as a put down. As you say, there's a lot more than just climate change to be worried about. That's why I think the population is such a problem - it puts a strain on everything.
For me the human population is less significant than the footprint of people in developed countries.

We could easily reduce this dramatically without 'costing the Earth' :oops:.

Apologies for the shit joke :lol:

Back