Environment crisis

In which case, yes, some people are definitely in denial or choose to not believe for whatever reason. It is a thing and we are living through it. Whether it’s reversible or a natural cycle exasperated by human activity is another discussion.
The bit about natural cycles and there has been higher levels of CO2 in the past annoy the shit out of me. I was thinking of an analogy the other day - I will gently rest my head on a wall if those with that opinion will run into it as fast as they can. We will both be just touching the wall!
Everyone on this board denies it exists by their actions and consumption. Even resident vegans like me.
I could do better - and will - but I try to reduce my consumption. I’m eating a lot less meat this year. I’m going to sell my car shortly.

Last edited:
I'm not denying it but I genuinely feel at a loss as to what can be done that will have a significant impact. I recycle, I don't have a car, I try to use as little electricity as possible, etc. but I suspect its nowhere near enough to alter the course we're on. Part of me still selfishly says that life is bloody short and just live it.

I also wonder how you persuade industrialising countries to put environmental issues above wealth creation.

I'm not denying it but I genuinely feel at a loss as to what can be done that will have a significant impact. I recycle, I don't have a car, I try to use as little electricity as possible, etc. but I suspect its nowhere near enough to alter the course we're on. Part of me still selfishly says that life is bloody short and just live it.

I also wonder how you persuade industrialising countries to put environmental issues above wealth creation.
Fundamentally we need to change our economic model. The current one based on ever increasing consumption is the problem. Unfortunately I can’t see us doing that until we are nose deep in the shite. COVID 19 is a good example of how humans deal with threats. It was predicted with a 99% certainty that a respiratory pandemic would hit by 2025 with its origins in a cross species jump - likely from wet markets in China.
When the billionaires realise that their wealth is worthless in a world without enough food, clean water or air then we will possibly change.

The bit about natural cycles and there has been higher levels of CO2 in the past annoy the shit out of me. I was thinking of an analogy the other day - I will gently rest my head on a wall if those with that opinion will run into it as fast as they can. We will both be just touching the wall!

I could do better - and will - but I try to reduce my consumption. I’m eating a lot less meat this year. I’m going to sell my car shortly.

Cows are a massive contributor, we need to eat more beef and bring the numbers down. I'm hoying a few burgers and steaks on the BBQ this evening, gotta drive those cattle numbers down.

Humans didn’t possess the knowledge to prevent ice ages, we still don’t now. We also didn’t directly contribute, but we did manage to live through and survive.

There’s been times in our past where the CO2 levels have been 20x higher and equalising effects have brought the temperature back to what we consider to be normal.

No one can say that we have or have not caused this, we are just a contributing factor.

Fundamentally we need to change our economic model. The current one based on ever increasing consumption is the problem. Unfortunately I can’t see us doing that until we are nose deep in the shite. COVID 19 is a good example of how humans deal with threats. It was predicted with a 99% certainty that a respiratory pandemic would hit by 2025 with its origins in a cross species jump - likely from wet markets in China.
When the billionaires realise that their wealth is worthless in a world without enough food, clean water or air then we will possibly change.
Mentioning Covid sums it up really. Opportunity for change but we mostly just wanted to go back to where we were.

It's an impossible situation, that's like pissing on a wildfire, we can't even stop the Amazon being chopped down, do people think China will comply with environmental policys.

Humans didn’t possess the knowledge to prevent ice ages, we still don’t now. We also didn’t directly contribute, but we did manage to live through and survive.

There’s been times in our past where the CO2 levels have been 20x higher and equalising effects have brought the temperature back to what we consider to be normal.

No one can say that we have or have not caused this, we are just a contributing factor.
The difference is time scales. It’s fine if changes happen over millions of years as species can adapt. If we kill the bees off we are bolloxed as their is effectively zero time for evolution to do anything.
It's an impossible situation, that's like pissing on a wildfire, we can't even stop the Amazon being chopped down, do people think China will comply with environmental policys.
Actually China might be the savior. They are basically responsible for renewables being cheaper than fossil fuel generated electricity.

Last edited:
Aye but look at the primary materials they use, 4 times that of the USA.
China has 4.25 times the population of the US and manufactures about 30% of the worlds goods versus 15% for the US
They stopped taking the waste from Europe which will ultimately force us to fix our own problems.

The difference is time scales. It’s fine if changes happen over millions of years as species can adapt. If we kill the bees off we are bolloxed as their is effectively zero time for evolution to do anything.

Actually China might be the savior. They are basically responsible for renewables being cheaper than fossil fuel generated electricity.

Point 1:

The shift from an idea age to a full thaw is measured in decades and we don’t have time to evolve. Noted on bees and agree, other species in the eco system might be our downfall rather than our ability to adapt.

Point 2: I’d be interested in how you arrive at this conclusion. They are pressing ahead with renewables, they they also heavily pollute and Will place economic growth above net zero carbon targets. They produce so much plastic tat, the legacy is huge on top of the initial carbon footprint due to manufacturing processes.

Back