Environment crisis

It doesn't matter how many people there are. It's the net consumption of what and how you produce it that matters.

Environmental disaster always happens and always has.
Of course it matters. Land that used to be used by other species is now cleared and 60% of Humanity has wiped out 60% of mammals, birds, fish and reptiles since 1970,

I personally think that is a disaster. We can agree to disagree.

I don't think there is enough resources to allow everyone to eat like we do.

Of course it matters. Land that used to be used by other species is now cleared and 60% of Humanity has wiped out 60% of mammals, birds, fish and reptiles since 1970,

You're missing my point. I agree that what we do destroys. I'm saying things can be done sustainably. It's not all or nothing.

Am I reading this right, you think humanity has wiped out 60% of mammals, birds fish and reptiles in the last 50 years?

Are you talking about species or populations?

I'm not convinced we can produce the food we are consuming in UK for 7.8 billion people.

How would we manage the world sustainably without sacrifices? I'm interested.
How do you equate living sustainably with living without sacrifice. Surely the two things go hand in hand and I've never suggested otherwise. I really don't know what you're getting at.

We don't need to produce enough food to feed the world here. Just enough for the UK population. We can produce meat without destroying nature. We just focus on profit instead of environmental stewardship.

How do you equate living sustainably with living without sacrifice. Surely the two things go hand in hand and I've never suggested otherwise. I really don't know what you're getting at.

We don't need to produce enough food to feed the world here. Just enough for the UK population. We can produce meat without destroying nature. We just focus on profit instead of environmental stewardship.
That was my original point. No one is really taking problem seriously because they aren't changing their habits.

My point is 7.8 billion people cannot live like we are. I don't want the UK to be one big farm either. That defeats the object imho.

How would we be able to produce enough meat in UK to sustain the population? Or is meat consumption being slashed?
Population makes sense.
I think it is a disgusting state of affairs but we are doing nothing and I doubt we can do anything.

Last edited:
That was my original point. No one is really taking problem seriously because they aren't changing their habits.

My point is 7.8 billion people cannot live like we are. I don't want the UK to be one big farm either. That defeats the object imho.

How would we be able to produce enough meat in UK to sustain the population? Or is meat consumption being slashed?

I think it is a disgusting state of affairs but we are doing nothing and I doubt we can do anything.
I've already stated eat a lot less meat, not stop completely

We can't produce enough meat to suit the rising population and current demand.
Cows aren't just out grazing on the grass in the fields. There are vast amounts of foodstuffs imported into the country to feed them, this is grown predominantly in South American countries and the land they use to do it is from the clearance of the forests. That's the unsustainable bit. There will soon be 9 billion people on the planet unless Covid takes a twist and it's unsustainable for that number of people to eat the volumes of meat we eat now.
In answer to your earlier question have we not been eating meat for thousands of years the answer is not really and certainly not for the last fifty years or so when meat farming has become so intensified.
To get some better understanding ignore Flicky and watch some of the spiracy documentaries, they may change your attitude. He was brought up a meathead and will have another heartattack or two before it clicks what he's doing to himself and the planet.

I've already stated eat a lot less meat, not stop completely
How much is a lot less? Are we stopping factory like production of animals? Meat then would be far too expensive. free range egg production a big scale pollutes rivers, so are the hens kept indoors?

I'm interested in how this would look.
Animal populations can repopulate pretty quickly - but they need space to do that.
That is exactly the problem. Habitat has been destroyed. Uk is an example. Beavers, polecats, etc. The last wolf was died in 1680 in Scotland. there is no apex predator here and all the countryside is man managed. Awful scenario, IMHO.

Last edited:
I know you're vegan (I think you've mentioned it 😉), but it isn't essential for people to stop eating meat. We could however drastically reduce our meat consumption which would help massively.

New build houses should all be virtually carbon neutral in design which is a lot cheaper to do than retrofitting heating systems and putting solar panels on at a later date, because of economies of scale.

Basically we have to start thinking about home much things will cost 'not to do' instead of thinking about the immediate costs.
That's already starting to happen and you'll find most new houses will be carbon neutral in the next ten years and will have battery storage to charge up the electric cars overnight.
The next batch of schools will be net zero carbon in operation then the batch after that ( from 2025 will be aiming to be net zero for embodied carbon as well) Almost all government projects now have to be designed to be net zero carbon or have a roadmap for how they will be within a timeframe. It's gathering a lot more momentum but it's almost too late to hit the 2050 target set.
Local renewable micro generation will be the key as opposed to a cluster of nuclear power plants.

Cows aren't just out grazing on the grass in the fields. There are vast amounts of foodstuffs imported into the country to feed them, this is grown predominantly in South American countries and the land they use to do it is from the clearance of the forests. That's the unsustainable bit. There will soon be 9 billion people on the planet unless Covid takes a twist and it's unsustainable for that number of people to eat the volumes of meat we eat now.
In answer to your earlier question have we not been eating meat for thousands of years the answer is not really and certainly not for the last fifty years or so when meat farming has become so intensified.
To get some better understanding ignore Flicky and watch some of the spiracy documentaries, they may change your attitude. He was brought up a meathead and will have another heartattack or two before it clicks what he's doing to himself and the planet.
Porcini mushroom pasta & salad for tea tonight.

Then settle down to watch another shit-spiracy propaganda documentary to top up the brainwashing agenda.

You obviously haven't read my post properly and yes we have been eating meat for thousands of years.

I don't want to call you thick or anything incase you have the wrong end of the stick, but I really don't know what attitude you're talking about.
How much is a lot less? Are we stopping factory like production of animals? Meat then would be far too expensive. free range egg production a big scale pollutes rivers, so are the hens kept indoors?

I'm interested in how this would look.

That is exactly the problem. Habitat has been destroyed. Uk is an example. Beavers, polecats, etc. The last wolf was died in 1680 in Scotland. there is no apex predator here and all the countryside is man managed. Awful scenario, IMHO.
Sustainability would obviously involve getting rid of factory farming. Grass fed cattle and other livestock can provide the nutrients that feed the land so it can grow abundant crops the following year without artificial fertilisers. Sustainability requires natural cycles.

How much is a lot less? Whatever it takes to be Sustainable. So what if meat becomes expensive. No one will force people to buy it.

Free range egg production will only pollute water if chickens are kept near water. Like I said it's not what people do it's how they do it.
That's already starting to happen and you'll find most new houses will be carbon neutral in the next ten years and will have battery storage to charge up the electric cars overnight.
The next batch of schools will be net zero carbon in operation then the batch after that ( from 2025 will be aiming to be net zero for embodied carbon as well) Almost all government projects now have to be designed to be net zero carbon or have a roadmap for how they will be within a timeframe. It's gathering a lot more momentum but it's almost too late to hit the 2050 target set.
Local renewable micro generation will be the key as opposed to a cluster of nuclear power plants.
Every new house should be fitted with a ground or air source heat pump and solar panels by law.

Last edited:
Hasn't half the worlds top soil already been washed away or turned to dust and blown away in the past 150 years and at the present rate it will all be gone in 60 years time. Intensive agriculture is the cause, I'll say it again for the millionth time, cattle need to be out in fields eating grass not locked up inside eating grain.

Back