England v New Zealand, Headingley (23rd June) Match Thread

Could see Overton (the quick one) coming in for Potts (if hes a little tired) or broad/Anderson (same reason)

If one is injured fair enough (and I’ve seen the Mail link below on Anderson) but neither has bowled in over a week! No logic whatsoever in resting for me.

If they’re taking the WTC seriously then this game is important and we should play our strongest XI

If one is injured fair enough (and I’ve seen the Mail link below on Anderson) but neither has bowled in over a week! No logic whatsoever in resting for me.

If they’re taking the WTC seriously then this game is important and we should play our strongest XI
Yes, the new leadership have said they're committed to fielding their strongest teams but surely you have to weigh this against manage a player's fitness by managing his workload particularly fast bowlers,and more so 39 year olds. If Jimmy plays that would be 15 days playing out of 25. Potts,likewise,has had a very heavy workload this season.I can see the logic in resting them.
As for the WTC, given our current position, 2nd bottom, I can see why it mightn't be a major consideration.

Yes, the new leadership have said they're committed to fielding their strongest teams but surely you have to weigh this against manage a player's fitness by managing his workload particularly fast bowlers,and more so 39 year olds. If Jimmy plays that would be 15 days playing out of 25. Potts,likewise,has had a very heavy workload this season.I can see the logic in resting them.
As for the WTC, given our current position, 2nd bottom, I can see why it mightn't be a major consideration.

You can lose fitness by not playing too. The fast bowlers won’t have bowled for ten days by the time this test comes.

As I say though, if Anderson has a strain that’s fine. But no logic in resting him if he doesn’t. People get too hung up on his age.

You can lose fitness by not playing too. The fast bowlers won’t have bowled for ten days by the time this test comes.

As I say though, if Anderson has a strain that’s fine. But no logic in resting him if he doesn’t. People get too hung up on his age.
Yes,but equally, you err on the side of caution particularly with a 39 year old with a history of leg strains.
I would hope that he'd be sufficiently experienced and honest with himself to declare his own fitness.

Back