England V New Zealand @ Durham

I went up what I thought was the correct block but steward said it was the next one over after looking at the ticket, then when there all end seats seemed to be took. Had I got in early it would've been fine but don't like to be messing about when the games in play and potentially blocking peoples view

:lol: I way aye! Stood there for most of the night

I did wonder if it was you when you posted that. Me and my Mrs were the ones who joined youse/ them second innings. Nice to put a face to a name mate 👍

Anyone think that contacting the club with these justifiable complaints may help ?

I’ve complained before even at a game when there was nowhere near the attendance last night

they accepted my complaint
Nah mate, I wrote in after that student night about 2 years ago and nobody replied to me. I've since raised several issues with the overall quality of the ground/issues like traffic management before big games and as we saw last night they stuck that letter in the furnace

Nah mate, I wrote in after that student night about 2 years ago and nobody replied to me. I've since raised several issues with the overall quality of the ground/issues like traffic management before big games and as we saw last night they stuck that letter in the furnace
Fair comment, I can only go on my experience where they were very helpful

It depends on how much cricket you are willing to miss. The queues were to be expected but they were too big imo. There was about 7 different queues out the back of the Media Centre and were all tangled up making it difficult to walk past. I went to Headingley in June and all the food vans were side by side against the back wall with orderly queues, yet last night, the vans were facing each other in a small area begging for chaos to occur. Woman behind me was gone 45 minutes, as she stood in 3 different queues, but didn’t seem too bothered that she missed about 8 overs. Thankfully, I don’t drink so didn’t miss any of the game, but sitting in the front row was a big mistake, with people walking past between balls + overs. We’re the bars understaffed?
I wanted to miss as little cricket as possible and had I known it was a 25 minute queue I wouldn't have waited. But once I'd waited 15 minutes I thought I wouldn't be much longer...🙄

The queues were a disgrace. I missed 6 overs (and 3 wickets) while standing in a 25 minute beer queue😱. Never experienced owt like it. That was my 3rd visit to Ch-le-St and the previous 2 (test match & ODI) were nee bother. It's put me off going back, like.

Any ideas what was different last night?

In the last few years I've been to tests at the Oval, Lord's, Edgbaston, Trent Bridge, Old Trafford and Headingley and had no problem at all with queues - so last night's shenanigans came as a bit of a surprise 😕 .

It was also my first T20. I'm still pleased I went but it felt a bit rushed overall and not as enjoyable or relaxing as a day at a Test (or ODI).

Would I go again to a T20? 🤔 Yes - but I wouldn't travel further than Chester le Street.

I lost 6 overs in the beer queue, so paid 55 quid for 28 overs.
Were you wearing a red shirt at end if row F in block 30?
A bloke in front of me was away for ages in NZ’s innings then for about 20 minutes in England’s innings. Came back with chips.

Was it an official sell out because tv showed a few empty seats under the gym and under the press box?
I think the empty seats under the press box were intentional. A load where the view will have been blocked by the dugouts and pod.

There were a load near us around the gym area like. Very noticeable gaps.

The seats next to the site screen closest to the gym were fenced off but then were occupied by lads I think from Newcastle Falcons. When they first got there though and tried to take their seats a bloke from the TV production company (I think) tried to shift them. So I’m not sure if they were actually meant to be there or not, but either way there was clearly some miscommunication somewhere along the line.

Last edited:
I did wonder if it was you when you posted that. Me and my Mrs were the ones who joined youse/ them second innings. Nice to put a face to a name mate 👍

Likewise mate, for some reason I always expected you to be quite a bit older :lol:

I headed off for the earlier bus as they were only once and hour and didn't fancy the packed one after, I’m not a big fan of international T20 but can’t not attending at Durham

I think the empty seats under the press box were intentional. A load where the view will have been blocked by the dugouts and pod.

There were a load near us around the gym area like. Very noticeable gaps.

The seats next to the site screen closest to the gym were fenced off but then were occupied by lads I think from Newcastle Falcons. When they first got there though and tried to take their seats a bloke from the TV production company (I think) tried to shift them. So I’m not sure if they were actually meant to be there or not, but either way there was clearly some miscommunication somewhere along the line.
Thanks for that.

never go in the trapdoor is my best advice

I could see my seat available last night , in front of the gym beside the banks sign

always a good view and chat available there and pretty close to the water fountain, toilets and the bar , etc etc

It’s a joke used by regulars

years ago it collapsed during an odi when England were playing

thankfully nobody was injured . @The Red Telephone is the resident and leader of the trap door squad
It's certainly the place where the cricketing cognoscenti meet.:D A place where the bright young things gather in the sunshine to discuss such diverse topics as whether school dinners chocolate cake was best served with white sauce or pink custard, Who was Durham's worst Overseas cricketer (apart from Nic Maddinson)? Why the ground would be better with the return of the wooden stand in front of the old scoreboard and whether Ker Plunk was better than Buckaroo and Operation.🤔

All new members of The Trapdoor Appreciation Society welcome for the Sussex game.....that is if the bloody thing is open. No queues guaranteed !

Last edited:
It's certainly the place where the cricketing cognoscenti gather.:D A place where the bright young things gather in the sunshine to discuss such diverse topics as whether school dinners chocolate cake was best served with white sauce or pink custard, Who was Durham's worst Overseas cricketer (apart from Nic Maddinson)? Why the ground would be better with the return of the wooden stand in front of the old scoreboard and whether Ker Plunk was better than Buckaroo and Operation.🤔

All new members of The Trapdoor Appreciation Society welcome for the Sussex game.....that is if the bloody thing is open. No queues guaranteed !
I liked chocolate cake with no sauce

Warner the worst overseas

ker plunk had more skill involved

as for that wooden stand, I sat there once , and that was enough

Back