England V New Zealand @ Durham

Sadly, I think you’re right. It’s stupid, but it’s clearly a clique that will not change unless they’re forced to.

Interestingly, I watched The Test and Justin Langer mentioned how he picks his test team and said along the lines of he picks the best wicket keeper and if he can bat a bit it’s a bonus… whereas with England it’s who you know unless we’re utterly embarrassed then they’re forced to change.
Tbf not sure how England up to this point can be criticised for selection in general.

They T20 and 50 over world champions and recent test record in last 18 months absolutely superb.

Therefore the players they have been picking have been winning them games hence right selection in the main.

I personally would definitely have Brook in the World Cup squad however hard to have a go with really good record as above

Last edited:
Tbf not sure how England up to this point can be criticised for selection in general.

They T20 and 50 over world champions and recent test record in last 18 months absolutely superb.

Therefore the players they have been picking have been winning them games hence right selection in the main.

I personally would definitely have Brook in the World Cup squad however hard to have a go with really good record as above
The Brook/Stokes issue wouldn't have occurred if Mott hadn't stuck his oar in, publicly asking Ben to reconsider his ODI retirement.

Great night under the lights. Sat in the sun for the 1st innings which was great. Lovely seeing the stands packed and Hoping Durham made a fortune tonight. Queues were too big in a small area, hopefully will improve for next year
The queues were a disgrace. I missed 6 overs (and 3 wickets) while standing in a 25 minute beer queue😱. Never experienced owt like it. That was my 3rd visit to Ch-le-St and the previous 2 (test match & ODI) were nee bother. It's put me off going back, like.

Any ideas what was different last night?

In the last few years I've been to tests at the Oval, Lord's, Edgbaston, Trent Bridge, Old Trafford and Headingley and had no problem at all with queues - so last night's shenanigans came as a bit of a surprise 😕 .

It was also my first T20. I'm still pleased I went but it felt a bit rushed overall and not as enjoyable or relaxing as a day at a Test (or ODI).

Would I go again to a T20? 🤔 Yes - but I wouldn't travel further than Chester le Street.
Per over, not a cheap night at all. The nature of sport.
I lost 6 overs in the beer queue, so paid 55 quid for 28 overs.

Last edited:
The queues were a disgrace. I missed 6 overs (and 3 wickets) while standing in a 25 minute beer queue😱. Never experienced owt like it. That was my 3rd visit to Ch-le-St and the previous 2 (test match & ODI) were nee bother. It's put me off going back, like.

Any ideas what was different last night?

In the last few years I've been to tests at the Oval, Lord's, Edgbaston, Trent Bridge, Old Trafford and Headingley and had no problem at all with queues - so last night's shenanigans came as a bit of a surprise 😕 .

It was also my first T20. I'm still pleased I went but it felt a bit rushed overall and not as enjoyable or relaxing as a day at a Test (or ODI).

Would I go again to a T20? 🤔 Yes - but I wouldn't travel further than Chester le Street.
It depends on how much cricket you are willing to miss. The queues were to be expected but they were too big imo. There was about 7 different queues out the back of the Media Centre and were all tangled up making it difficult to walk past. I went to Headingley in June and all the food vans were side by side against the back wall with orderly queues, yet last night, the vans were facing each other in a small area begging for chaos to occur. Woman behind me was gone 45 minutes, as she stood in 3 different queues, but didn’t seem too bothered that she missed about 8 overs. Thankfully, I don’t drink so didn’t miss any of the game, but sitting in the front row was a big mistake, with people walking past between balls + overs. We’re the bars understaffed?

I thought it was a bit flat at times, heard better atmospheres at Lords

Absolute farce trying to find my seat in trapdoor and many seemed to be having the same issue. I give up in the end and stood at the back of the don robson
I think it’s basically first come , first seat , when the big games are on . That’s wrong but it’s how it happens

I think it’s basically first come , first seat , when the big games are on . That’s wrong but it’s how it happens

It’s proper allocated seating (or at least it’s meant to be as my ticket had a block/row/seat number). I was Seat 1 row V, assumed seat 1 would be on the end of the row but walked up the stairs and every seat seemed to be in use and I couldn’t see what was row V. Felt daft walking up and down looking with the cricket already started so quickly give up :lol:

A fair few seemed to be getting mixed up with what blocks they were meant to be in though so it clearly wasn’t marked good enough.

As for the beer queues they seemed ridiculous at the outside bars but I went into the Sticky wicket twice during play and got served instantly (while loads were stood queuing at the marquee bar nearby)

It’s proper allocated seating (or at least it’s meant to be as my ticket had a block/row/seat number). I was Seat 1 row V, assumed seat 1 would be on the end of the row but walked up the stairs and every seat seemed to be in use and I couldn’t see what was row V. Felt daft walking up and down looking with the cricket already started so quickly give up :lol:

A fair few seemed to be getting mixed up with what blocks they were meant to be in though so it clearly wasn’t marked good enough.

As for the beer queues they seemed ridiculous at the outside bars but I went into the Sticky wicket twice during play and got served instantly (while loads were stood queuing at the marquee bar nearby)
I agree fully. That’s the main reason I stay away from international games . The good side though was the thrashing England gave out last night

these problems you mention are well known

The Brook/Stokes issue wouldn't have occurred if Mott hadn't stuck his oar in, publicly asking Ben to reconsider his ODI retirement.
I think you right it wouldn’t, but at the same time it’s more than understandable to want the big game and big pressure in your side for a World Cup, and none fit that criteria better than Ben imo.

Personally I would have found room for both Ben and Brook, but get it’s difficult taking into account the respective records of the other players picked.

Just not convinced Bairstow,Malan and especially Roy are as good as they have been previously, where I think the best of Brook is to come.

I saw you walking up about 10mtrs to my left, we were row Y, seats 16/17. The rows were marked but very small and at ground level, not easy to see at all and totally inadequate. As for the blocks, they were clearly marked yet people still ended up in the wrong blocks but not sure that part was the clubs fault. Maybe further marking of the block at the back of the stand but tbh, if you entered the clearly marked block at the entrance it was hard to go wrong block-wise.

I thought it was a bit flat at times, heard better atmospheres at Lords

Absolute farce trying to find my seat in trapdoor and many seemed to be having the same issue. I give up in the end and stood at the back of the don robson

Stalker alert (me) but you weren’t talking to a couple of lads from Boldon in front of the scoreboard were you? Apols if I’ve got the wrong fella 👍

A couple of lads that travelled with us but were sat in the ‘trapdoor’ had a whinge about the whole confusing blocks thing. I think his point was the block was signposted at the bottom of the stairwell but then when you get into the stand depending on whether you turn left or right will actually decide which block you approach. They lack a few brain cells though, so I can imagine they would struggle finding their seat if there was no allocated seating and you could sit anywhere.

Last edited:
I saw you walking up about 10mtrs to my left, we were row Y, seats 16/17. The rows were marked but very small and at ground level, not easy to see at all and totally inadequate. As for the blocks, they were clearly marked yet people still ended up in the wrong blocks but not sure that part was the clubs fault. Maybe further marking of the block at the back of the stand but tbh, if you entered the clearly marked block at the entrance it was hard to go wrong block-wise.

I went up what I thought was the correct block but steward said it was the next one over after looking at the ticket, then when there all end seats seemed to be took. Had I got in early it would've been fine but don't like to be messing about when the games in play and potentially blocking peoples view
Stalker alert (me) but you weren’t talking to a couple of lads from Boldon in front of the scoreboard were you? Apols if I’ve got the wrong fella 👍

:lol: I way aye! Stood there for most of the night

Disagree. The blocks were chaos. And didn’t match with the stairways

Anyone think that contacting the club with these justifiable complaints may help ?

I’ve complained before even at a game when there was nowhere near the attendance last night

they accepted my complaint

never got any better then, i sat in the trapdoor stand for an england game vs 10 years ago, and vowed never again, found our seats, even asked a steward, it was a womens double header vs australia, watched all the game then some blokes came over and said we were in their seats, another steward came over told us we had to move, but then couldn't find where we were supposed to be,

will only sit there now if im chasing the sun for a durham game

Back