England: Is this not where they want to be?

I still think we have the best squad in the tournament mate, if not the best XI, if that makes sense?

If an insane oil rich take over of a club happened (fingers crossed ;)) and they decided to buy one of the entire international squads in this tournament, well I think ours, Belgium and France would be the highest value.
France may be inflated by Mbappe.

Average player price we'd probably be most expensive.

If an insane oil rich take over of a club happened (fingers crossed ;)) and they decided to buy one of the entire international squads in this tournament, well I think ours, Belgium and France would be the highest value.

let's just encourage them to buy out UEFA

Absolutely mate. When you see the likes of Sancho, Grealish, Rashford, Bellingham, Trippier and Chilwell on the bench. Not many, if any, have that quality to call-upon

The squad would probably cost over a billion to sign.
Which is insane levels of talent.

But Southgate isn't Guardiola so you just have to have faith
I think you're being harsh on Southgate, he has taken strong choices and I agree with him

I wanted him to play Trippier the first match and he was right to, he has made enough consistently strong unpopular decisions for me to trust him

Of course not. If your labouring to Scotland then you can labour to anyone. Might as well enjoy a big game and get beat of one of the big boys then lose against an underdog like Iceland again.

I'd at least be excited to play to Germany, France or Portugal even if we look unlikely to beat them. Big match atmosphere and all that.

Getting beat of Slovakia and no disrespect to them would feel all 2016 again.

I think you're being harsh on Southgate, he has taken strong choices and I agree with him

I wanted him to play Trippier the first match and he was right to, he has made enough consistently strong unpopular decisions for me to trust him

I agree, he's made tough decisions others may have avoided. I do like him.
I think he's a good fit for the job.

What I meant was even with the talent at his disposal he can only do what he can.
Even Pep regularly says he's only good because of having the best players.
Whilst that's correct it's also a bit modest. Give Gary Megson that Man City squad and he still isn't winning the league.
Southgate is very level headed, which is a good quality, has tournament experience as a player, which means he can pass on his knowledge.
But is generally limited as a manager compared to others.
Certain managers will be able to effectively use a pool of talent better than others can.

But given a billion pound squad, namely this England squad, Southgate won't reach the levels Guardiola would with the same squad.

I've rambled a bit there, hope it makes sense as I'm pretty drunk

I agree, he's made tough decisions others may have avoided. I do like him.
I think he's a good fit for the job.

What I meant was even with the talent at his disposal he can only do what he can.
Even Pep regularly says he's only good because of having the best players.
Whilst that's correct it's also a bit modest. Give Gary Megson that Man City squad and he still isn't winning the league.
Southgate is very level headed, which is a good quality, has tournament experience as a player, which means he can pass on his knowledge.
But is generally limited as a manager compared to others.
Certain managers will be able to effectively use a pool of talent better than others can.

But given a billion pound squad, namely this England squad, Southgate won't reach the levels Guardiola would with the same squad.

I've rambled a bit there, hope it makes sense as I'm pretty drunk
Making tough decisions isn't necessarily a good thing though. It great when it works out like against Croatia though he Sri had some detractors but when it doesn't like tonight it basically says every detractors was correct because his tough decisions played into their hands.

I thinks he's done a good job buts at this tournament is definitely looking likes it's going to be his live by the sword or die by the sword moment.

I just said summat a long them lines.however shouldnt try and manufacture a route as chance to bite u on the arse
Depending on tomorrow’s result, we could be lined up to face Spain in the next round if we finish second.

It’s so ridiculous doing anything other than just winning

we tend to nickname our players to those superstar foreigners who are much better than our lot
…seriously though….when was the last time an English / British player/midfielder controlled a game like Pirlo used to ?

Genuinely? Phillips against Croatia.

Modric had to go so deep for the ball…

I know what you mean, major tournaments and dictating the tempo. We don’t and that’s not the way we go about things.

There’s more than one way to win a game of football though, Italy have dominated their first two, no one looked particularly controlling to me

Absolutely mate. When you see the likes of Sancho, Grealish, Rashford, Bellingham, Trippier and Chilwell on the bench. Not many, if any, have that quality to call-upon
Totally agree. The problem is the FA stooge we have as manager. I simply do not see him being prepared to attack France, Italy, Germany or Portugal. All of these opponents would, in my opinion, score against us. On what i have seen thus far i don't see England scoring twice against any decent opponent, thus best we could expect is penalties.....

If any team has serious aspirations to win any competition then they don’t worry about finishing in certain positions to avoid anyone else.
england should’ve approached this group by attacking all 3 sides and trying to wipe the floor with them playing like most good premier league sides play.
high press, pressure the opposition and control the game by working the opposition till they start tiring and pick them off.
Apart from the first half hour v Croatia we’ve been the total opposite.
been passive in possession and played in places that don’t hurt or work anyone.
let Scotland have the ball without any pressure then give stupid fouls away allowing them to play balls in our box.
I would t give a shit about going out in the last 16 to a good side if we had shown intent to attack and play to our strengths in the group games.
out strength is our forwards.
kane, grealish, sancho, Sterling, RashFord, mount !!!

Southgate has shit himself and tried to compensate our weakness instead of embracing our strength.

people were asking if England should throw the game against the Czechs but sitting below Croatia by managing to protect a no score draw is this not where you want England to be?

the assumption was that the rivalry that means so much to the fans would mean the same to the team, it clearly didn't

I may be wrong and I haven't had time to fully think it through but it looked to me at the time that England were heavily defending a no score draw

going through as second is the best route right?

looked like Croatia and England were playing to that today

makes the last game of the round a spectacular
Either Southgate has no clue at all, or he knows what’s he doing after beating Croatia and the 1-1 draw earlier. We draw with Slovakia, and we are both sorted - we’re second, they qualify out of the blue. Then it just leaves the winner of Scotland v Croatia to qualify in 3rd.
No, sadly
Sadly I agree. After the earlier draw in our group, we just needed not to lose tonight. In our final game it will be a shite 1-1 draw that will put both teams through. Job done for both. Southgate made that incredibly obvious with the style of football, the subs, and then where he pushed Grealish and Rashford to play when they came on. Like it or not, he was very definitely going for the draw tonight, and to be fair to him, it was the best result if we want to win the tournament.

Last edited:
people were asking if England should throw the game against the Czechs but sitting below Croatia by managing to protect a no score draw is this not where you want England to be?

the assumption was that the rivalry that means so much to the fans would mean the same to the team, it clearly didn't

I may be wrong and I haven't had time to fully think it through but it looked to me at the time that England were heavily defending a no score draw

going through as second is the best route right?

looked like Croatia and England were playing to that today

makes the last game of the round a spectacular
they were certainly "respecting the point" but Scotland were more dangerous than expected and the full back switch didn't pay off for England in attacking terms plus Kane & Sterling had stinkers . A series of unfortunate events : no real harm done.

Genuinely? Phillips against Croatia.

Modric had to go so deep for the ball…

I know what you mean, major tournaments and dictating the tempo. We don’t and that’s not the way we go about things.

There’s more than one way to win a game of football though, Italy have dominated their first two, no one looked particularly controlling to me

Fair enough …i should have added the word consistantly though….like Pirlo, Modric etc did…..Phillips was poor yesterday against a limited Scottish side

Back