England in Sri Lanka Red Ball

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd never wear a football shirt at the cricket mind. Just posting so I can pick it up and flag tomorrow.

As I said, I'd never wear a footy shirt or carry a footy flag at the cricket. My flag is neutral and gets carried around the world by SAFC and Pompey fans alike so not really feasible to put DCCC on there. Might get a the England Cricket Badge on there though. My recent trip to Sri Lanka the only colours/regalia I wore were DCCC stuff.

I disagree
With Buttler and Rashid, 2 top international performers having no more to prove than lads with indifferent test records who’ve been on the county treadmill for seasons?

Or with Rashid being judged more on being one of World leading ODI bowlers than on knocking over a few county journeyman in the championship?

With Buttler and Rashid, 2 top international performers having no more to prove than lads with indifferent test records who’ve been on the county treadmill for seasons?

Or with Rashid being judged more on being one of World leading ODI bowlers than on knocking over a few county journeyman in the championship?
Bowling in t20 cricket is very different to test matches

But it’s been done to death

Bowling in t20 cricket is very different to test matches

But it’s been done to death
He’s also been very good in ODI stuff against the worlds best players.

He’s just played a good part in a fantastic away series win in Sri Lanka. Selectors fully justified in their selection. Nice to see some common sense prevailing.

Burns
Jennings
Bairstow
Root
Stokes
Butler
Foakes (wkt)
Ali
Rashid
Broad
Anderson

This for me against Windies. Argument for Curran for Rashid on less spin friendly wickets.

Also where are all the red ball snobs now who couldn’t possibly see how Rashid and Butler could be picked?
Rashid said he didn't want to play red ball cricket, when it didn't seem he was in favour with the selectors …. then there was a hint of an England call up and all of a sudden he did want to play red ball cricket. Ah well.

Look I don't mind being wrong, as I was with Buttler, but Rashid he wasn't getting picked - and I'd pick Ali ahead of him even now and I'm not sure who I'd pick if it's a choice between Leach and Rashid, ignoring batting ability.

Rashid said he didn't want to play red ball cricket, when it didn't seem he was in favour with the selectors …. then there was a hint of an England call up and all of a sudden he did want to play red ball cricket. Ah well.

Look I don't mind being wrong, as I was with Buttler, but Rashid he wasn't getting picked - and I'd pick Ali ahead of him even now and I'm not sure who I'd pick if it's a choice between Leach and Rashid, ignoring batting ability.
Spinners in this series ranks Ali, Leach and Rash on wickets and Leach, Ali and Rash on average - but on both counts the numbers are v. close.

Last edited:

Spinners in this series ranks Ali, Leach and Rash on wickets and Leach, Ali and Rash on average - but on both counts the numbers are v. close.
I’d pick Ali ahead of him as well but he’s a great option to have and it would be silly to cut noses off to spite face.

Selectors have handled situation really well imo and he’s now going to go back to playing red ball stuff.

The fact is we aren’t spoilt for choice at the minute to totally disregard lads who clearly have the talent because they may not be setting the world alight in county championship. I’ve heard all the talk of Butler averaging 5 (something like that) for Lancashire in red ball so we can’t possibly pick him! People totally ignoring his freakish ability and outstanding knocks in limited overs stuff against the worlds best bowlers. I know which I’d place more stock in.

I’m still here. I’d still argue that both have plenty to prove still.

Buttler has done way better than expected but needs some big scores. I can admit that I was wrong on him
I’ve never argued against Rashid on ability, more on the fact that he just wasn’t playing red ball stuff

Buttler is simply a very very intelligent cricketer, disagree he is under pressure for big scores at the moment

I’ve said it before but here it’s again

Buttler is a critical part of my wickets 6-10 theory. Whichever team wins that over a series, will win that series

It’s happened in England’s favour over the summer and has contributed largely to our 2-0 series lead now

It has to happen in the Ashes for that to be won as well.

Think he deserves another chance (mainly because their are no alternatives that spring to mind :lol:) but he needs to get bigger scores now. I quite like him but we'll see what happens.

yeah course he does

just saying not convinced

Yeah sorry @chunkylover53 but you are totally totally wrong that buttler needs big scores

he is batting brilliantly and having a big impact on every game, vice captain, one of the first names on the team sheet after Root at the minute

I’d pick Ali ahead of him as well but he’s a great option to have and it would be silly to cut noses off to spite face.

Selectors have handled situation really well imo and he’s now going to go back to playing red ball stuff.

The fact is we aren’t spoilt for choice at the minute to totally disregard lads who clearly have the talent because they may not be setting the world alight in county championship. I’ve heard all the talk of Butler averaging 5 (something like that) for Lancashire in red ball so we can’t possibly pick him! People totally ignoring his freakish ability and outstanding knocks in limited overs stuff against the worlds best bowlers. I know which I’d place more stock in.

agree with all of that

and buttler looks our best bat apart from root, its looks amazing he didn't play for 18 months

Last edited:

What needs to be factored into this assessment is an astonishing statistic after the second test - not sure if it remains true, but may do.

That is, that Rashid and Leach had failed to get out a single left-hander in the first two tests: they only took righties. Only Ali had taken any left-handed wickets - and he's taken about 50-50 split.

For me, that shows he's number one spinner. Leach is number two. Rashid is a luxury, but one we should certainly use on the sub-continent.

Bang on queue, Ali effectively wins the match by taking a right-hander....

Last edited:
What needs to be factored into this assessment is an astonishing statistic after the second test - not sure if it remains true, but may do.

That is, that Rashid and Leach had failed to get out a single left-hander in the first two tests: they only took righties. Only Ali had taken any left-handed wickets - and he's taken about 50-50 split.

For me, that shows he's number one spinner. Leach is number two. Rashid is a luxury, but one we should certainly use on the sub-continent.

Bang on queue, Ali effectively wins the match by taking a right-hander....
I didn't know that right hand left hand statistic but that's how I would see the spinners

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back