England in Sri Lanka Red Ball

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brilliant series win

Really think Root has control of this team and I think Baylis deserves a lot of credit too

Excited to see where the team goes
Was wavering a bit yesterday but my belief on winning this game was based on Root's innings the other day. You don't play like that and lose a test match, You could also add Stokes' and Jennings fielding into that too.

It's an exciting and young England team, ok they don't have the brilliance of a Pieterson but they have a team that play as one.
Ed Smith deserves credit also, always liked his commentary and insight on TMS.

Was wavering a bit yesterday but my belief on winning this game was based on Root's innings the other day. You don't play like that and lose a test match, You could also add Stokes' and Jennings fielding into that too.

It's an exciting and young England team, ok they don't have the brilliance of a Pieterson but they have a team that play as one.
Ed Smith deserves credit also, always liked his commentary and insight on TMS.

Not just saying this as I dislike Pietersen, but they do have the brilliance of him, I think we underestimate how talented some of these players are

Fantastic win. Yes it's not a great Sri Lankan team but we've all seen some absolute dross from England abroad in recent years so you can't blame people for not thinking a performance like this was remotely possible. Key for me was the batting depth to bail us out a couple of times, and having three useful spinners. They're no Warne or Murali, or even Swann or Panesat but they're sure as fuck better than Dawson and Batty (excellent though he is in the radio) As Root said the balance and options he had at his disposal were a captain's dream and that's something we can take forward to other parts of the world.

Speaking of Root is it me or does he sound like a generic southerner now? (South of Nottingham before one of you almost jocks pipes up;)) Sounds a typical England captain if you like. He never had the strongest Yorkshire accent but you can barely hear it now.

He got a good knock in the last test! His form this year has been poor yes, but he looks to me to be on an upwards curve!

HOWEVER

If we win, I reckon him and Anderson will sit the last one out. He's always carrying knocks is Ben.

With respect, if England can take the next test easy I don't think he's a must pick - think he'll be rested.

Not sure this is the point @smoker is making, mind!

Let's try Bairstow as an opener in the West Indies, with Jennings at three. We can always bring someone like Clarke, Roy or Livingstone in for the Ashes.

There's absolutely no need to move Root. I'm really enjoying the way he's growing into captaincy on this tour - he is driving the innovative team selections I think. Making him feel as comfortable as possible to do that is worth 17 runs off any scoreboard.
Huge season coming up for Livingstone, dropped Lancs captaincy to focus on his batting as he didn't score a single 50 in championship cricket last season. I think he's a long way from the test team at the moment.

Great win today, excellent to see contributions from all over the team in both matches. Foakes looks a really good player, great breakthrough tour for him.

This is a brilliant win.
It's funny isn't it how some people love to hammer the Test team but have gone very quiet.

Maybe it's because we demolished the World No 1 ranked team last summer and now have won away to a team who have hammered Australia and SA in the last 2 years.

Brilliant series win. I like the way they planned their tactics and game plans. They obviously decided the best way to score runs against the Sri Lankan spinners was the sweep and reverse sweep shots. A few people on here were critical when players got out playing these shots, but it seriously worked very well.
Root’s innings and England’s fielding played a massive part. Thought Burns, Leach, & Foakes contributions were also huge considering how early they are into their England careers.

This is a brilliant win.
It's funny isn't it how some people love to hammer the Test team but have gone very quiet.

Maybe it's because we demolished the World No 1 ranked team last summer and now have won away to a team who have hammered Australia and SA in the last 2 years.

We got hammered in India, Australia and New Zealand, struggled at home against Pakistan and sank to 5 in ICC rankings, despite playing more tests than anyone else. I really can't imagine how anybody would be pissed off with that.:lol:

The main change is - under Smith - we've stopped all this pecking order shite, where players like Broad, Cook and Bairstow would automatically get a game if fit, or we'd pick players like Dawson because they're 'good lads' and 'handy with the bat' and started picking our players on form and the conditions. It's what we've been screaming for for years and the anti-criticism police have been arguing against. We should have taken Rayner and Leach to India 2 years back, but the same bellends were claiming they could only take wickets on doctored wickets at Ciderabad. Likewise Foakes should have been in the team, but you can't take the gloves off Jonny....

Absolutely delighted with the result, but let's not get carried away. SL are a poor team and India are poor travellers (we didn't 'demolish them' you tit, it was keenly fought series despite the result). Our top order batting is still fragile, get that sorted and we could be a real force, but it's going to need some tough decisions, e.g. you can't keep picking a team of number 6-7's, one of them needs to reinvent himself as a top order batsman or we have to sort Vince out.

Woke up as the number 11 came in to bat, thought, "this morning went well".
Reckon we need to find another solid opener to partner Burns, maybe Jennings will fare better at number 3?
Though have a nagging feeling the ozzies will have him on toast if he plays next year.

We got hammered in India, Australia and New Zealand, struggled at home against Pakistan and sank to 5 in ICC rankings, despite playing more tests than anyone else. I really can't imagine how anybody would be pissed off with that.:lol:

The main change is - under Smith - we've stopped all this pecking order shite, where players like Broad, Cook and Bairstow would automatically get a game if fit, or we'd pick players like Dawson because they're 'good lads' and 'handy with the bat' and started picking our players on form and the conditions. It's what we've been screaming for for years and the anti-criticism police have been arguing against. We should have taken Rayner and Leach to India 2 years back, but the same bellends were claiming they could only take wickets on doctored wickets at Ciderabad. Likewise Foakes should have been in the team, but you can't take the gloves off Jonny....

Absolutely delighted with the result, but let's not get carried away. SL are a poor team and India are poor travellers (we didn't 'demolish them' you tit, it was keenly fought series despite the result). Our top order batting is still fragile, get that sorted and we could be a real force, but it's going to need some tough decisions, e.g. you can't keep picking a team of number 6-7's, one of them needs to reinvent himself as a top order batsman or we have to sort Vince out.

No one should get carried away. But the last two series wins are outsranding. The point I make is that some of the critics keep quiet when we do well. The old agenda-based opinions.

You just can’t enjoy any success

Any win comes with a caviet

When we beat South Africa Home and away it was because they are poor

When we won the ashes in 2015 it’s becayse Australia were poor

We absolutely thrash India, they’re poor

We win away in Sri Lanka, they’re poor

You said stokes should be dropped ffs

No one should get carried away. But the last two series wins are outsranding. The point I make is that some of the critics keep quiet when we do well. The old agenda-based opinions.

Smoker will never accept we are a good side, it’s always the opposition being substandard to why we win

Brilliant series win

Really think Root has control of this team and I think Baylis deserves a lot of credit too

Excited to see where the team goes

Baylis does deserve a lot of credit especially taking into account some of the criticism he has had in the past, especially on here

I do think it’s possible to have a really good test side and one day side, sometimes there is too much talk about which one is the priority rather than just trying to be the best at both!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back