England in NZ

Taken a boosted bet from Skybet. England to win, have highest 1st Innings opening partnership and take a first innings lead. Boosted to 6-1 from 4-1.

Decent start in that respect. Looked a good bet as soon as we won the toss. I will take 600 in this first innings by the end of the morning session on the 3rd day ;)

First time I’ve seen Sibley bat and he looks solid.
He certainly does. Both these openers have slightly quirky actions though. Takes a bit of getting used to.

Don't really want to say owt but I love the way we are just seeing off the new ball here.

He certainly does. Both these openers have slightly quirky actions though. Takes a bit of getting used to.

Don't really want to say owt but I love the way we are just seeing off the new ball here.
Whoever thought Roy was a better pick for the ashes should be sacked on the spot. Seen more in this morning session from Sibley than we did off Roy the full summer :lol:
And he’s gone :lol:

Last edited:
Ffs, I knew I shouldn't have mentioned it. But at least we've seen off 20+ overs so it should be easier for the middle order.
Whoever thought Roy was a better pick for the ashes should be sacked on the spot. Seen more in this morning session from Sibley than we did off Roy the full summer :lol:
And he’s gone :lol:
At least he saw off 20+ overs though, which is part of being an opener.

Yes, you could sort of see it coming (and Ian Smith did). But I think there's something to build on with Sibley.

He'll need a few more shots to thrive Sibley.

Because we've so rarely seen grinders in England recently, we're in danger of over-valuing dourness for its own sake. It's ok to know your areas and be patients, but you do need to have some off-side shots like. I can't remember watching a player - not Cook, not Smith (Graeme or Steve), not Burns - who is less off-side. You need to be able to clip the odd one through there just to keep them honest.

I'm hopeful it'll just be a bit of batten down the hatches nerves. He looks to have the temperament, but he'll need a bit more balance than that.

Just put the Aus vs Pak game on. Can't remember seeing too many of the Pakistan team but Hazlewwood looks really dangerous and it's going to be tough for them to get a decent total here.
25-0 and they are looking solid. Cummins on now.

Last edited:
Just watched the "bitesize highlights" as Ian ward called it.

I watched live till lunch. So after lunch thoughts on very little highlights.

Burns a tad lucky but he's gritty. Root with an awful dismissal unsurprisingly. Stokes and Denly looked in good nick. Canny start by Pope, a naturally aggressive player batting at 6, who would have thought that worked rather than shoehorning them in at 4 and to open.

Messrs Pope and Roy were both unlucky to not start in that position

I digress anyway. Hopefully with the base of 240 stokes and Pope can accelerate well, with buttler and Curran to come. A 400+ away total may be on the cards.

Last edited:

Back